[ NO BUG - USER ERROR]Autopilot no longer working

Idle_Wild

I don't need a deadzone, because my stick is calibrated correctly. Is yours?

Over...

And the answer is a yes not that it matters.

And the extended answer is: Not everyone's controllers will be incredibly accurate as yours.

At the end of the day, we all have different input devices; just because it works for YOU, doesn't mean it works for EVERYONE.

And the fact remains, there is absolutely NO REASON for me to have to have a deadzone on my stick for autopilot to function properly. It is FAR too sensitive near a central deadzone area.... period.

If this thread exists, and there are people like me entering the thread to say "I'm having an issue"

There is an issue.

Five pages back and forth made me curious enough to have a look myself and I have good news for everyone!

The Autopilot works - if you are using the Trim hat to manipulate your attitude.

If you are using the stick - not so much.

So everyone here can say he/ she was right :)

As the replays are mostly not working ok for me I did record what I did, and the Video basicly shows:

- First part me using Trim hat only; works like a charm, up, down, left & right, no problem.

This part also serves to show that my stick does not produce any uncommanded Jitter/ Trim whatever.

- Second part I tried using the stick and found that banking left is very sensitive, but doable, but trying the turn right immediately has the plane rolling over and going downhill. This while the AFC stays engaged.

- Issue can be reproduced.

Still, I consider this more being a WIP rather than a bug, so I´ll just stay aware of the issue and see what the fine folks at RAZBAM do.

Deadzones; a Deadzone might be helpful for folks having a worn out or cheap Joystick, but really is nothing one should suggest as being needed to get a basic functionality to work. And certainly nothing the real Harrier has.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

- Second part I tried using the stick and found that banking left is very sensitive, but doable, but trying the turn right immediately has the plane rolling over and going downhill. This while the AFC stays engaged.

For reference I have no issues on my end with the same method. I noticed that your altitude hold disengaged during your turn which indicated that there was a minor pitch input. Watching the input display closely you can see there was a minor nose down input which resulted in you going "downhill".

I have the problem of AFC Max trimming when going from level flight to a tight turn. Becomes almost uncontrolable. X56 Hotas Curves now set to 30 and deadzone to 15 and still going stupid. Might be fine for some and others not. So some sort of problem there.

I echo lukeXIII: no issues for me when replicating the tasks in the video. The downhill during right turn in the video is indeed caused by slight nose down joystick movement, which can be seen in control indicator.

Some key points that helped me to understand the logic behind the AP:

1. AP works by adjusting the trim. Just watch the white marker in the input indicator.

2. The current trim values persist when AP is disengaged.

3. You can use "emergency SAAHS Disconnect" to reset your trim.

4. AP has roll limit that is something around 55 degrees.

If you disengage AP during roll, there is a good chance that nose is trimmed up and you will feel this when straightening the roll. If you disengage AP by doing rapid joystick movements, there may also be strong roll trimmed in.

Edited by Unclezam

• 1 month later...

I can also confirm that calibrating the stick fixed this 'issue' for me.

I had also been getting very frustrated with the autopilot 'not working', I was convinced that it was either my X65 being faulty or a something being changed during an update (which, after reading this thread I realised had happened).

So I took the advice on here and calibrated my Logitech X56 using the Logitech software and sure enough that has fixed the problem.

I do not have any deadzone on my stick either.

The autopilot now works like it used before the update.

I thought I would share my expereince since I was also convinced something was not working correctly.

Seems this is a user error. Working for internal CB testers on OB release as well as myself. Putting this down as user error.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.