Realistic Zoom for pilot view?

GunSlingerAUS

What zoom value presents the most realistic field of view for the pilot in the Tomcat? Is 50% the perfect value? When set to this, I can't see many of my instruments, or my mirror. Note I'm running 3840 x 2160 on a 58 inch screen, sitting approximately 18 inches away from the screen, with middle of screen at eye level.

I've noticed that if I zoom out to see more instruments, to around 30%, I can't see the SC until it's about 12nm away. But at 50% zoom I can see it at 20nm...

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Yeah, that seemed a good size. It's just a pain to have to move my head to see all the instruments. I think I'll stick with 50% for combat and other modes where sight range is most important, then zoom out for take off, refuelling, landing and formation flying.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

There are a few simple tricks to use:

- sun & moon should be about 30 arc min (0,5 degree) - see how it looks to you

- place a hand around where stick should be IRL and compare to the image on monitor (does your hand on the stick would look fine?)

- imagine touching buttons on ACM panel and how it looks like comparing to your hand

- get known instrument size and compare with the on-screen

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yea, I think that's a good way of doing it. "Whatever works for you" is the right way. For some reason, my best reference when comparing the relative position and size of the cockpit are the physical switches. I may have never been in a F14 or F18, but I sure have used similar switches! :D

Yea, I think that's a good way of doing it. "Whatever works for you" is the right way. For some reason, my best reference when comparing the relative position and size of the cockpit are the physical switches. I may have never been in a F14 or F18, but I sure have used similar switches! :D

Unfortunately it is near impossible from my playing with views to accurately replicate the real cockpit. I had the chance to sit in the Santa Rosa Tomcat and for me it fit like a glove. The view is amazing in the real kitty. It is not all windscreen frames and dash. You could easily see straight down the radome and see the ground in front and to the sides. Seeing around the seat seamed much easier too, but then again, I wasn't wearing flight gear nor under G loads :D. Switches and levers were in easy reach and gauges were easily readable as well. I can only dream of what their views were in flight.

Salute,

:punk:

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You also need to take in to account your vertical fov which is different from horizontal. From what I've read the horizontal fov for humans is approx 200 degrees while the vertical is approx 150. So for the most common aspect monitors(16/9) one of them is always going to be wrong. So for me I think what Draconus said is probably as good a way as possible. When I enter the cockpit the first thing I do is adjust 'til it looks right then don't touch it again. This usually ends up at around 75 or 80 degrees which works for me.

Should have said 85 or 90 for Tomcat seems different for the Hornet.

Edited by Falby

While the idea of adjusting to match physical dimensions sounds good, doesn't this stuff the object drawing at distance?

Unfortunately it is near impossible from my playing with views to accurately replicate the real cockpit. I had the chance to sit in the Santa Rosa Tomcat and for me it fit like a glove. The view is amazing in the real kitty. It is not all windscreen frames and dash. You could easily see straight down the radome and see the ground in front and to the sides. Seeing around the seat seamed much easier too, but then again, I wasn't wearing flight gear nor under G loads :D. Switches and levers were in easy reach and gauges were easily readable as well. I can only dream of what their views were in flight.

Salute,

Keep in mind; the biggest (worst) part of the F-14 cockpit visibility is actually the canopy itself. The sides are very tall, and the front is extremely thick (about 2x as thick as the frame itself).

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

What zoom value presents the most realistic field of view for the pilot in the Tomcat? Is 50% the perfect value? When set to this, I can't see many of my instruments, or my mirror. Note I'm running 3840 x 2160 on a 58 inch screen, sitting approximately 18 inches away from the screen, with middle of screen at eye level.

I've noticed that if I zoom out to see more instruments, to around 30%, I can't see the SC until it's about 12nm away. But at 50% zoom I can see it at 20nm...

Human eye has a 45* FoV, in fact, one shouldn't adjust in terms of zoom but FoV...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Keep in mind; the biggest (worst) part of the F-14 cockpit visibility is actually the canopy itself. The sides are very tall, and the front is extremely thick (about 2x as thick as the frame itself).

I get it sir, limitations of technology. Was more reminiscing, not complaining. I just loved the view down the nose. :thumbup:

Salute,

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]