[CAN NOT REPRODUCE]GBU 12 - when droped in pair they destroy each other.

stormrider

• ED Team

In my testing it seems to be reproducible when lasing to early

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sounds like lasing is tied to fusing. Should be independent functions and no relationship to each other. Bombs colliding with each other or the airframe should not cause detonation as well. Now if the bomb collides with the airframe there could be damage to the aircraft. If the bombs collide with each other there is the possibility of damage to G&C or tail assembly which would cause malfunction to track correctly. Side or collision forces should not cause the fuze to detonate. If this was the case then I would doubt any pilot would fly with these munitions. From my experience munition contact with the airframe or other munitions does happen in the real world more than one would think. Fuzes are pretty safe and significant force would be required (such as target impact to detonate the munition - mechanical or electrical fuzing).

12-inch-Red-aviation-ordnance-logo-sticker-with-IYAOYAS-banner.png

• ED Team

If anyone has a track replay with them exploding after just leaving the aircraft we can take a look.

The one track in this thread showing them exploding when colliding is close tot he target, I suspect lasing to early is the problem in that case.

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If anyone has a track replay with them exploding after just leaving the aircraft we can take a look.

The one track in this thread showing them exploding when colliding is close tot he target, I suspect lasing to early is the problem in that case.

thanks

Tried dropping 2 from same pylon? that is the only case they would be close enough to explode near the plane.

hey Bignewy

i had this issue a couple weeks ago, i couldn't attache the track file because it's too big but here is a link to it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19oLr4edw4imyGHOuSLTsrlhEWvejAlol

also when i tried to play it i couldn't see my flight anymore. i am sure the file was valid because i used it to make a recording.

i had even made copies of it and restored it from a backup but none of them are working so i think it has to do with updating DCS between then and now.

anyway, maybe you guys can recover the data you need

i also made some video of it happening:

bombs are dropped from opposite pylons, and i do start lasing almost immediatly after dropping

i hope it helps

• 1 month later...

Adding to this as I was just flying along in a long flight that will have a track too large to be useful but the parameters were as follows:

F/A-18C, flying at ~30,000ft and 240IAS, originally carrying twin racks of GBU-12 on outboard stations - first two release were single and OK. Last two released as a pair, auto lazing, AUTO mode - bombs collided under air frame and destroyed it.

I have also seen with friends that we can do ripple pairs releases of MK-82 Snake-eye or AIR and get the same issue - more prevalent with the F-16C.

I was able to recreate the bomb collision explosion using a set of "rigged" parameters:

F/A-18C

~26,000ft

~240IAS

MK-82AIR, eight loaded on dual racks

CCIP (for easy release)

Release qty 8, multi 2, interval 25ft

Unlimited weapons (it takes a LARGE number of drops for this to occur.)

Now again, this test was done using intentionally bad parameters so that testing could go by faster. I tried previously with GBU-12s in pairs off just the outboards and did dozens of drops and the closest I got was fins clipping past each other, but even that track is too long for demonstration. This issue comes up by mere chance it seems as the bombs get "ejected" in a random side and downward velocity it appears, so it requires the two sides getting paths that will meet up to happen - which isn't that often. So we can show here that weapon collision can lead to detonation, close enough to frag the releasing airframe as you will see in my track at about 5-6 minutes in I think it was.

F18BombCollision.trk

WeaponTester.miz

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

• ED Team

Sorry I am not seeing a bug here, it looks like a delivery problem not a bug.

thanks