[CAN NOT REPRODUCE]GBU 12 - when droped in pair they destroy each other.

stormrider

It happened again. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong, perhaps pulling slight negative G causing my bombs to hit me in the face. Second time I was in stable level STRP+ALT AP when I hit the red button; so much so that I checked Tacview and indeed, nothing in there either.

What's happening: Sometimes when dropping GBU-12s in level flight, immediately after, the plane explodes. If this is not a bug, please, let me know what it is.

Tacview-20200613-161524-DCS-F-16C - Persian Gulf - Dawn Raiders.zip.acmi.zip

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I have never had this happen to me in the viper and I’ve dropped some hundreds of GBU’s w with it. You must be doing something for this to happen like maybe twitch your stick to the side the bomb drops from thus causing it to hit you plane. Also it is a possibility that your stock has something gone wrong in it causing it to twitch as you press the release button

Can see it in tacview, the second set of bombs are colliding right after release below the aircraft. The drop that got you the right bomb goes immediately left and vice versa, they collide and explode almost immediately. Problem is, not sure why. The first set does the same but just barely misses each other. Maybe add some spacing in the drop program? Should allow a little more separation, have never dropped them in pairs so might check that out later when I get a chance.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

they collide and explode

That should not be the cases.

Bombs has to spend a period of time in free fall at a proper speed to be armed.

They can't explode right after pylon separation.

This is also one of the purposes of the arming delay set in SMS page (which is mainly to prevent fragment damages after explosion).

That should not be the cases.

Bombs has to spend a period of time in free fall at a proper speed to be armed.

They can't explode right after pylon separation.

This is also one of the purposes of the arming delay set in SMS page (which is mainly to prevent fragment damages after explosion).

Agreed, just going off what the tacview recording seems to indicate. They separate and move immediately right into each other. Reason for it happening is the question.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

• ED Team

Looks strange in the tac view, but to be sure we would need to see a track replay.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well they could collide if dropped in pairs since they follow the same laser. Don’t think you ever would drop them in pairs irl

I don't think they would drop them in pairs either but who knows, but they for sure have the option to, in any case they should not explode off each other.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278025 Seems to be a related issue. They act kinda weird when the are released it appears.

Might be,

didn't watch your track, were yours on the same rack or one on each wing?

I don't think they would drop them in pairs either but who knows, but they for sure have the option to, in any case they should not explode off each other.

Might be,

didn't watch your track, were yours on the same rack or one on each wing?

Wasn't my tacview, but it clearly shows the left station and right station drops moving toward each other immediately after release and going boom. Wondering if dropping them with single release ripple 2 10ft spacing would make a difference, put one behind the other by just a bit. Them exploding off each other is another thing entirely.

Does this same bug occur with the dumb bomb variant (MK82)?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I don't know, why do you ask?

Because if the dumb variants also collide, then it could be a bomb ballistics issue in general and not specific to the laser-guided version.

Although I’ve routinely rippled six Mk-82s with default spacing without any bomb collision issues.

My money is on premature lasing causing the bombs to steer into each other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I don't know, why do you ask?

Would maybe help rule out the release function and possibly point more toward the guidance.

But they shouldn't steer into each other, they should steer on the laser designated point, which is on the vehicle, not 10 feet above the vehicle where they exploded.

And if they collide they collide with the body not with the nose so the fuze shouldn't go off before it hits something.

But they shouldn't steer into each other, they should steer on the laser designated point, which is on the vehicle, not 10 feet above the vehicle where they exploded.

And if they collide they collide with the body not with the nose so the fuze shouldn't go off before it hits something.

It’s possible you’re suffering the effects of what’s called “Bang Bang Guidance”

Note the part about the bombs “over correcting” before settling on the laser properly...

“ Paveway II laser-guided bombs use what is known as "bang bang" guidance. This means the bomb's fins deflect fully, rather than proportionally when it is attempting to guide to the laser spot. For example, if it sees the laser spot and determines that it should make a change it deflects its fins until it has over-corrected and then it deflects back the opposite direction, creating a sinusoidal type of flight path. This type of guidance may be less efficient at times, however is more cost effective and allows the use of simpler electronics in the guidance system.”

Are you lasing immediately after pickling? If so, I think the bombs are colliding while trying to chase the same spot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I have had this same issue in the harrier, release multiple GBU together and kaboom, aircraft explodes midair. Tacview shows bombs touching each other.

As Furiz states, if they collide their bodies they shouldn't exploded since they have nose or tail fuzes??

It doesn't matter if they touch each other, should they be exploding off each other? That's the question

Nope. Likely not (depending on munition and fuze). Fuze(s) needs enough energy to activate detonation on impact (for impact fuze ... not speaking about airburst type bombs).

Because if the dumb variants also collide, then it could be a bomb ballistics issue in general and not specific to the laser-guided version.

Although I’ve routinely rippled six Mk-82s with default spacing without any bomb collision issues.

Ok, I thought might had happened to you with dumb bombs. Regarding the premature lasing, I can confirm that in my case, that's not the case since the F-16 current can't auto-lase - Its manual and the bombs explode immediately after pressing wep rel.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png