RIO: LANTIRN not visible, HUD huge (current OB)

bumblebomb

Hi all, 2 minor bugs: today (latest OB as of 16jun2020) flew RIO, had LANTIRN under wing, worked, too, but wasn't visisble to me, Pilot did see it.

Other is almost cosmetic: when peering over the pilot's should the HUD is huuuuge. I'd day about 10x. Probably rather a DCS issue and really no biggie.

EDIT: wrong subforum, my bad. Please move.

I don't know about thenlantirn.

But when viewing a HUD outside of what is called the "Eye box" It does not look as you expect it to look.

The eyebox is the imaginary 3d space in which the hud optical system is calibrated for. Outside that area HUD may look large, small, out of focus etc.

In this case the rio sits wwwway back of the eyebox so it being huge is perfectly reasonable.

Other is almost cosmetic: when peering over the pilot's should the HUD is huuuuge. I'd day about 10x. Probably rather a DCS issue and really no biggie.

EDIT: wrong subforum, my bad. Please move.

No worries and thank you for the report. The first issue is a multicrew sync issue, iirc if the pod is loaded after the RIO joined, it is visible. Please confirm if this is otherwise.

The second issue is correct as is, we confirmed this with our RIO SMEs as well. From that distance it simply appears that huge, it is scaled properly there. Looks odd in the beginning, but so did it in real life. This is why the Avia page exists and also ofc because looking at the hud would not help the RIO much even if it would scale the same as for the pilot.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

In regards to the HUD being huge from the back pit, that's correct as Ironmike says.

As the HUD is collimated to be focused at infinity (or at least close to) it will appear as the same size regardless of if your viewpoint is further away, i.e. it will always look like it's the same size to the viewer, not relative the HUD frame.

Imagine that the HUD symbology itself is the same size in the RIOs field of view as the pilot just that the frame and display of it is much smaller, that will mean that the RIO will just see a tiny part of the HUD symbology through that same viewport.

You can compare it to looking at the ground in front of the aircraft if in a dive, it will appear at the same size for the RIO as for the pilot as it is far away and if both look through the HUD frame the pilot will see more as he's closer to the HUD frame.

Hopefully this makes some sort of sense, at least it did in my mind. You can try this as a pilot btw if you move your viewpoint towards and away from the HUD, the symbology will stay the same size but more or less of it will be visible through the HUD display.