Is DCS changing VR settings in my system?

squirrelmeister

So here is the thing I am always confused about when starting DCS in VR:

I start Oculus Tray Tool and set ASW to "disabled" for example. I start up DCS and I am in the menu pressing ctrl+pause to see the frames I am getting. And a lot of times I am wondering in flight why I am more or less constant at 40 FPS? Okay alt+tab out of DCS and see what the setting I did before is set to. It is set to disabled (ASW), so I quickly change it to another setting (doesn't matter which in this case) and change it back immedietely to "disabled". Alt+tab back into the game (don't forget to click in the window) and my frames are up over 40 FPS.

I had the feeling before that something isn't right with DCS when it comes to VR.

Another thing is that a change in PD with the tray tool doesn't work in DCS unless you do close it and start it again. Which seems off imo since I am quite sure that this is not the case in any other game in VR I played besides DCS. If this is something I got completely wrong then excuse me.

My simple questions to the DEVs of DCS is: Is it possible that DCS is changing my system settings for VR? I am asking because I really do have the feeling that this is in any way true (the use of words seem off but I don't know how to say it in english - sorry).

Anyone out there with the same feeling or maybe another sight onto it I did not see yet?

Cheers:joystick:

Edited by squirrelmeister
not native english speaker

I was wondering about my fps being stuck at 45 (CV1) a lot, but apparently it needs to be more than that considerably to jump out of the lock as I've seen ~52 - 90 on rare occasions already. And I'm also wondering about my ASW sometimes resetting to Auto in the Oculus Debug Tool.

Just to corner the possible reasons in: Are you by chance using any key commands with Ctrl + Numpad keys in DCS? Some of those apparently switch the ASW mode although I never could make out any difference by trying these directy.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I was wondering about my fps being stuck at 45 (CV1) a lot, but apparently it needs to be more than that considerably to jump out of the lock as I've seen ~52 - 90 on rare occasions already. And I'm also wondering about my ASW sometimes resetting to Auto in the Oculus Debug Tool.

Just to corner the possible reasons in: Are you by chance using any key commands with Ctrl + Numpad keys in DCS? Some of those apparently switch the ASW mode although I never could make out any difference by trying these directy.

No, not using any key commands. But the question stands: Is DCS changing the system setting of your VR device.

When i owned Oculus Rift-S, I was never able to change the PD in Oculus Tray Tools while DCS was running, always had to restart DCS.

It's the same in Reverb/Steam VR as well. The VR Resolution must be changed before you start DCS. Some games can handle on the fly PD changes, I guess DCS cannot. Some other games follow the same principle.

I also I found the hot keys for changing ASW On/Off/forced 80/forced 40 very useful in DCS.

Ctrl + Numpad 1, Numpad 2, Numpad 3, Numpad 4

That way I could change the setting and not need to leave DCS focus and keep an eye on the DCS frame counters and frame rates when swapping between ASW modes. Useful when testing grfx changes and you need to see the real FPS (ASW Off) and easily switch back to ASW to make the game play smooth again.

I soon got tired of constantly swapping back to Windows OTT to change the ASW modes, I did that a lot when testing grfx changes. The Oculus hotkeys make it much more convenient. Back then I didn't notice DCS changing the ASW mode itself, but that was a long time ago. (4 months since last used Oculus)

The caveat:

If you have inadvertently set a keybind to "Ctrl + Numpad 1" etc you can change ASW by mistake whilst playing. I had that in iRacing and thought my system was dieing when I changed views in replays, turned out I had Ctrl+ Numpad 1 assigned to "next view" and didn't realise it was an Oculus Hotkey in the beginning.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |