Disable FLOLS overlay

REL

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I did not say it would affect anyone else. It would only affect you, making it more easy for you to land your aircraft, especially in bad visibility, while others who don't use such a game helper have to struggle more. That is an unfair advantage as it potentially leads to more successful recoveries for people that use this helper tool over people hat don't use it. I admit, it's not the biggest of advantages, but it is one.
Besides the question of having an advantage over others, this game helper is also just something that is misplaced on realism servers. I don't really understand why you would opose the option for server admins who want to host servers dedicated to realism?

Well maybe for someone who cant see ball clearly enough on their screen or VR, you have the advantage. I think that is why it was implemented in a first place. I just dont understand why you would ban function that does not affect others in any negative way, maybe gives whoever uses it bit of advantage in some specific conditions.

I also dont understand your "realism server" argument, you can not see the overlay if you dont use it so there is no "reality" broken for you, for someone who use it, well they probably need it and its not a biggest of advantage as you said.

47 minutes ago, Golo said:

Well maybe for someone who cant see ball clearly enough on their screen or VR, you have the advantage. I think that is why it was implemented in a first place. I just dont understand why you would ban function that does not affect others in any negative way, maybe gives whoever uses it bit of advantage in some specific conditions.

I also dont understand your "realism server" argument, you can not see the overlay if you dont use it so there is no "reality" broken for you, for someone who use it, well they probably need it and its not a biggest of advantage as you said.

If you don't understand that being able to see the FLOLS in heavy clouds/fog because of a game helper, while realistically you would not see it, is totally going against the purpose of realism, then so be it.

I would still like to have the option to host servers with realistic settings where I can make sure that everyone is on the same page.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

44 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

.. everyone is on the same page...

This is and always will be unachivable, there will always be someone with advantage/disadvantage. Unless everyone will fly with same hardware/software configurations all the time.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, Golo said:

This is and always will be unachivable, there will always be someone with advantage/disadvantage. Unless everyone will fly with same hardware/software configurations all the time.

What kind of argument is that? Of course it's not possible in every regard, but that's no reason to not do it where it actually is possible...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

What you are basicaly saying is I dont want it because it will give someone advantage over me in very specific weather condition. It does not affect you in any negative way during CASE I, not even during CASE II, not even in majority of CASE III conditions. It only gives slight advantage (questionable at best) to the user during specific CASE III conditions.

On the other hand someone who has trouble making out the ball during landing will be affected negatively by not be able to use this overlay every time except CASE III no vis. condition because no one will see anything anyway.

17 minutes ago, Golo said:

It does not affect you in any negative way

Even if there were flying tic-tacs not affecting any Hornets in negative way it is still my right to not want it on my server. It doesn't pop up in a real aircraft so it's not realistic. Period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

13 hours ago, Golo said:

What you are basicaly saying is I dont want it because it will give someone advantage over me in very specific weather condition. It does not affect you in any negative way during CASE I, not even during CASE II, not even in majority of CASE III conditions. It only gives slight advantage (questionable at best) to the user during specific CASE III conditions.

On the other hand someone who has trouble making out the ball during landing will be affected negatively by not be able to use this overlay every time except CASE III no vis. condition because no one will see anything anyway.

I just want the ability to host a server with realistic settings, where artifical game helpers like this are disabled.

If you can't understand that, then I'm sorry, but it's not your problem anywhere, so I don't understand why you're trying to deny me the option to host my server the way I want it? You don't play on it so why do you even care?!

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

What @QuiGon and @draconus are saying.

Besides, in rough weather, you wouldn't be using the IFLOLS anyway - that's what the ICLS and ACLS is for. 

Whether the ICLS works as it's supposed to is another matter, as is ACLS being implemented.

For me the pop-up does something else which is why I'd want to turn it off, or even better not have it pop-up at all - because it changes the mouse cursor behaviour. I don't have headtracking so I have to toggle between mouse look and clicking buttons repeatedly, when the IFLOLS pop-up and radio menu pop up, the mouse is changed so you can drag the pop-up around or select what you want to say over the radio; both prevent me from looking around or clicking buttons.

I'm also playing on a 15.6" laptop - I need to maximise visibility wherever possible, because my screen is just that small; having a pop-up is another annoyance that I have to spend time distracted moving it and scaling it, and when your set-up uses the keyboard for throttle and rudder (and makes it very difficult/impossible to make simultaneous stick and throttle movements, especially with any precision); having a distracting pop-up isn't something I need.    

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I just want the ability to host a server with realistic settings, where artifical game helpers like this are disabled.
If you can't understand that, then I'm sorry, but it's not your problem anywhere, so I don't understand why you're trying to deny me the option to host my server the way I want it? You don't play on it so why do you even care?!

Well, some people, depending on hardware and graphics settings, see the ball artificially badly. Less in-game help isn't necessarily the same as more realistic.

That said, having the option to disable it server-side is fine by me.

I actually didn't know you could disable it in lua until I read this thread, so I've never landed without it since I got my reverb g2. I'm going to try disabling it and see if I can make out the ball OK without it.

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

It does not retract anything from realism imho especialy for others that cant even see it. And I would use (and Ill probably will when I go VR) it if it was implemented better. Even now I find myself having to zoom in a little at a start in a groove to see ball clearly and I get tunnel vision, loss of speed sense and such. I would use it if ED made it more customisable so I could resize it, move it where I want, change its brightness and opacity how I want and ability to save those settings permanently so I wouldnt have to do it all the time.  

2 minutes ago, Golo said:

It does not retract anything from realism imho especialy for others that cant even see it. And I would use (and Ill probably will when I go VR) it if it was implemented better. Even now I find myself having to zoom in a little at a start in a groove to see ball clearly and I get tunnel vision, loss of speed sense and such. I would use it if ED made it more customisable so I could resize it, move it where I want, change its brightness and opacity how I want and ability to save those settings permanently so I wouldnt have to do it all the time.  

That's all great, but you avoid answering my question: Why the hell do you want to prohibit me and other server hosters from disabling this options for our servers? What does it bother you what others do with their (private) servers?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:

That's all great, but you avoid answering my question: Why the hell do you want to prohibit me and other server hosters from disabling this options for our servers? What does it bother you what others do with their (private) servers?!

I said before, Im all for disabling cheat features such as labels server side, because it would give an advantage to whoever uses it against non users. But, as I also said before ball overlay is visual aid that does not affect you in any negative way (anything other that your "sense of realism", even tho you cant even see it). I just think it should be on every individual if they want to use it and not to be enforces server wide (private or not does not make a difference to me) either on or off.

There are also several other helpers that can be turned of mission side. Who also "don't affect others".

Its simple, as @QuiGon said: I want a realistic server, so I want to be able to turn it off.

Well, probably its not correct to say to turn it off serverside, probably its better to turn it off in the mission (as I said, where you can also turn off other helpers).

Edited by viper2097
  • Like 3

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules