Disable FLOLS overlay

REL

• ED Team

I will ask the team, but can not promise anything at the moment. 

• Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks, I find this feature really annoying and immersion breaking. I don't understand why it has been released without any option for the player to disable it.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks +1

I find it easier to read the ball off of the overlay due to the low visibility of the ball position on the carrier itself (which I understand may be improved at some point). However, with my 3x1 monitor setup (5760x1200 when merged), the overlay appears way out on the left side of my cockpit view by default.

I'm looking forward to this and other SC improvements coming down the pipeline!

ThinkPad X1 Carbon G6 | i7-8550U 1.8-4 GHz | 16GB LPDDR3-2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Win10 x64

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box | 8GB GDDR6-14000MHz | 3x Dell U2412M for 5760x1200

CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, Cacetudo said:

Thanks +1

I find it easier to read the ball off of the overlay due to the low visibility of the ball position on the carrier itself (which I understand may be improved at some point). However, with my 3x1 monitor setup (5760x1200 when merged), the overlay appears way out on the left side of my cockpit view by default.

I'm looking forward to this and other SC improvements coming down the pipeline!

did you know if you click and hold on the white text of the IFLOS display you can drag it to anywhere on your monitor?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes, thanks, I was aware of that and that's what I usually do once the overlay appears. Alternatively, I ignore it completely and use the ICLS needles, so I don't have to pause DCS and take my hands off the HOTAS. In the latter case, it would be better if I could switch the overlay off without having to build a custom mod (to persist through DCS updates).

The behavior I mentioned is that every time I start a new mission it happens again. I'm sure there's some Lua file I can edit that will fix this, but I've been trying to spend time learning the Hornet's weapons & systems instead, or how to use the mission editor better, or MOOSE stuff, or reading NATOPS manuals, etc.

I believe this happens because I have a 3x1 setup. I also see image cropping in the mission startup screens, etc. Let me know if you want some screenshots - as the saying goes, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Regardless, I appreciate the very quick reply. From my viewpoint this is a minor annoyance and I'm really happy with the DCS modules I've got.

• Like 1

ThinkPad X1 Carbon G6 | i7-8550U 1.8-4 GHz | 16GB LPDDR3-2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Win10 x64

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box | 8GB GDDR6-14000MHz | 3x Dell U2412M for 5760x1200

CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals

On 1/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Really? After all this time and endless threads against this you now ask the team? .. cool.

22 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

did you know if you click and hold on the white text of the IFLOS display you can drag it to anywhere on your monitor?

So your advise is to take the hand of the stick and moving a pop-up out of the way with the mouse while in the Groove .. cool.

Still removing this stupid idea after every update manually via lua, embarrassing.

Everything in a Software when implemented should be optional from the beginning. Taking options away from users is simply a non forward looking design in a manner like Microsoft does. 

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Andartu said:

Really? After all this time and endless threads against this you now ask the team? .. cool.

So your advise is to take the hand of the stick and moving a pop-up out of the way with the mouse while in the Groove .. cool.

Still removing this stupid idea after every update manually via lua, embarrassing.

Everything in a Software when implemented should be optional from the beginning. Taking options away from users is simply a non forward looking design in a manner like Microsoft does. 

Calm down, when I said ask the team it was to see what status the removal feature was at, the work is already in progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Calm down, when I said ask the team it was to see what status the removal feature was at, the work is already in progress.

Well that´s a real answer 👍

I am calm. Just a typical case of - you can't read the emphasis- right. Especially without emotes 😀

Imagine my words more in a sleepy accentuation.

And if you don´t mind it would be nice to have a direct update here in this thread on this, after you have the answer 🙂

Edited by Andartu

• ED Team

yeah the feature has been planned for a while, and the work involves creating an interface in the special menu for the super carrier and tying it all in. 

I have reminded the team it is a sort after feature, but that is all I can do at the moment. 

thanks

• Thanks 2

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Andartu said:

And gratz to your 25 thousandth post 😅

I will open a beer lol 🙂

33 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

yeah the feature has been planned for a while, and the work involves creating an interface in the special menu for the hornet and tying it all in. 

I have reminded the team it is a sort after feature, but that is all I can do at the moment. 

thanks

Why in a hornet? Its not specific to hornet but to supercarrier, why not create supercarrier special tab, I would assume some more things may fit in that category later.

Edited by Golo

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, Golo said:

Why in a hornet? Its not specific to hornet but to supercarrier, why not create supercarrier special tab, I would assume some more things may fit in that category later.

Sorry its been a long day, I should have said for the super carrier special menu. 

W.I.P Below in the image

special.PNG

I will edit

thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Glad to see there is some movement in this. Might I suggest also to add a keybinding to toggle this in-cockpit? I think a lot of us actually see a good point in it at times, but would like to have more control over when exactly it is on or off, since the automatic logic is a little dodgy at times.

1 hour ago, viper2097 said:

PLEASE add the option to turn it off from the serverside also.

No, servers should have no ability to enforce this. It should be on individual basis if someone wants to see it or not. Forcing it server side on all, either on or off when if they have it on/off does not affect others in any way is unacceptable.

I personally want it off because I use monitor and track-ir and never had problem to see the ball, but others flying in VR on same server might want it on, which I support, but if its set off they wont be able to. On the other hand if its set server side on for the VR guys, I will have it on as well which I dont want. 

Edited by Golo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Golo said:

On the other hand if its set server side on for the VR guys, I will have it on as well which I dont want. 

It was specificaly requested for the Off server setting. Owner should have the control if cheats or helpers are allowed on his server. Just like labels allowed does not mean it's forced on everyone. User is free to join or not.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

This is not like the labels case. If one individual would have labels on and others off he would have an unfair advantage because he would see every other aircraft (label) and they would not see (probably) him.

But the iflols overlay ONLY afects the one individual that has it turned on (so he can see the ball) and it does not affect other players in any way. 

4 minutes ago, Golo said:

But the iflols overlay ONLY afects the one individual that has it turned on (so he can see the ball) and it does not affect other players in any way. 

Such user can see the ball clearly in zero-vis situation and that is just one example of his advantage.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 minutes ago, draconus said:

Such user can see the ball clearly in zero-vis situation and that is just one example of his advantage.

Well, OK fair enough, but it still affect only him and only in very specific situation. Honestly it would not bother me at all, there are other means to land even if you cant see the ball.

1 hour ago, Golo said:

Well, OK fair enough, but it still affect only him and only in very specific situation. Honestly it would not bother me at all, there are other means to land even if you cant see the ball.

Same case with the ability to see yourself on the F10 map. One can argue that this also only affects yourself, but being able to determine your own position through a graphical user interface of the game instead of your own navigation abilities can often be a rather unfair advantage, especially in bad weather.

That's why it should be possible for server admins of realism servers to disable such game helpers for everyone on the server.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Same case with the ability to see yourself on the F10 map. One can argue that this also only affects yourself, but being able to determine your own position through a graphical user interface of the game instead of your own navigation abilities can often be a rather unfair advantage, especially in bad weather.

That's why it should be possible for server admins of realism servers to disable such game helpers for everyone on the server.

Yes, I can see how that will affect other players, that would not be able to see own position. But I fail to see how IFLOLS overlay affects anyone else in any negative way, less that one above, which I would not care about really.

8 hours ago, Golo said:

Yes, I can see how that will affect other players, that would not be able to see own position. But I fail to see how IFLOLS overlay affects anyone else in any negative way, less that one above, which I would not care about really.

I did not say it would affect anyone else. It would only affect you, making it more easy for you to land your aircraft, especially in bad visibility, while others who don't use such a game helper have to struggle more. That is an unfair advantage as it potentially leads to more successful recoveries for people that use this helper tool over people hat don't use it. I admit, it's not the biggest of advantages, but it is one.
Besides the question of having an advantage over others, this game helper is also just something that is misplaced on realism servers. I don't really understand why you would opose the option for server admins who want to host servers dedicated to realism?

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg