VR performances tests before release?

YoYo

Hello UM,

please - before release this map as EA - do tests and (if it's needed) do optimalization for VR users also.

Channel map is near unplayable for VR users and its a big problem (I know it wasnt your job) till now. Normandy 1944 is very, very OK what we have now but please remember about VR users and tests of Syria map in VR mode also. Map looks fantastic and I hope performance will be fantastic too :)!

Have a good day!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

+1 here.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

+1

Gesendet von meinem SM-N975F mit Tapatalk

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

+1000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I mean how long has vr been around now, at least 3-4 years? Yet still ED didn't optimise for VR before release of OA Persion Gulf Map, The Channel map, Hornet, F-16, anything else? These modules don't have to be feature complete at OA release obviously but start as you mean to go on and have them optimised for monitor use and vr first.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I mean how long has vr been around now, at least 3-4 years? Yet still ED didn't optimise for VR before release of OA Persion Gulf Map, The Channel map, Hornet, F-16, anything else? These modules don't have to be feature complete at OA release obviously but start as you mean to go on and have them optimised for monitor use and vr first.

They are optimizing, by rewriting terrain engine, lighting system and a lot more for the future.

If you want to wait years before you get these new maps, you are welcome.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

+1 as well. Flying low over Damascus in VR at sunset should be a gorgeous experience, just hope it can be at more than 20fps on a solid system.

What are your qualms about the Hornet and Viper in VR? I find them quite alright in VR, I fly both all the time. In the Rift S the Viper especially is pleasing to use, most things are easy to read and the bubble canopy of course... Not sure what you are referring to?

We need to balance our expectations between what an old game engine like what is used in DCS can do, what kind of visual improvements we expect (lighting, clouds, etc.), and then what kind of PC we use to run the game with. Until Vulkan shows up to have better CPU load balancing, I feel DCS in VR is still going to be only optimal on a high-end PC. But still, given the amount of details, I am not complaining (it runs smoother and with higher details on my PC than Dirt Rally 2.0 for example, which looks way worse in VR).

Which is not to say that optimizing for VR should not be a priority for DCS imho. I just mean that we should first agree on what "optimize" mean and what our expectations should be. I've seen way too many cases where people were running too-high settings for their system specs and then complaining that it was the devs' fault.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Please make sure VR is working fairly well before you release it.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello UM,

please - before release this map as EA - do tests and (if it's needed) do optimalization for VR users also.

Channel map is near unplayable for VR users and its a big problem (I know it wasnt your job) till now. Normandy 1944 is very, very OK what we have now but please remember about VR users and tests of Syria map in VR mode also. Map looks fantastic and I hope performance will be fantastic too :)!

Have a good day!

Yes, This is a good point you raise here.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...

We need to balance our expectations between what an old game engine like what is used in DCS can do, what kind of visual improvements we expect (lighting, clouds, etc.), and then what kind of PC we use to run the game with. Until Vulkan shows up to have better CPU load balancing, I feel DCS in VR is still going to be only optimal on a high-end PC. But still, given the amount of details, I am not complaining (it runs smoother and with higher details on my PC than Dirt Rally 2.0 for example, which looks way worse in VR).

Which is not to say that optimizing for VR should not be a priority for DCS imho. I just mean that we should first agree on what "optimize" mean and what our expectations should be. I've seen way too many cases where people were running too-high settings for their system specs and then complaining that it was the devs' fault.

:thumbup:

Hello UM,

Have a good day!

absolutely! :thumbup:

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

+1 to OP

Looking at the amount of detail in those amazing videos/screenshots, I'm lightly worried that my system will be crushed :(

Hope I'm wrong though

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What are your qualms about the Hornet and Viper in VR? I find them quite alright in VR, I fly both all the time. In the Rift S the Viper especially is pleasing to use, most things are easy to read and the bubble canopy of course... Not sure what you are referring to?

*cries in CV1, can't read anything in the Viper*

What we're really waiting for is that options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser thing they keep telling us to keep off as it's still WIP and breaks more than it fixes at the moment. Once this is working properly, it will almost do magic. The same tech probably can be used for the current way of rendering mirrors and TGP images (to some extent) as well. Having to render everything twice (same for the mirrors, there you'd have 4 scenes already at the same time) is just what hurts DCS performance the most in VR. It's like running two instances of the sim on the same rig simultaneously. Literally all VR games and even that other sim are optimized already to just provide two viewports within one single rendered scene. When DCS gets that as well, we'll be flying with 100+fps in VR...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Looking at these videos of the Syria map and it’s absolutely stunning. Which is making me fear performance in VR will be similar to Channel map

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Looking at these videos of the Syria map and it’s absolutely stunning. Which is making me fear performance in VR will be similar to Channel map

I hope not!!!!

But no any words about performance from Ugra here. If yes this map will be usless Like Channel for many VR users ;(.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I actually find Normandy not so bad with VR, the colours are way off but there’s a mod out there that enables you to adjust that. Its the channel that I find I just can’t run. And I actually keep two installs my OB which I don’t mod at all and my stable which I have a few mods on. The latest patch on OB I found helped a little with the channel, with my Oculus CV1 I find 2xmsaa a must otherwise it looks so awful. I’ve got the PG map and Nevada running like a dream in the F18 it’s really beautiful and smooth. But with the channel only the P-51 I can fly and maintain 45fps but if I fly low over heavily populated areas with lots of buildings the frames drop to the 30s and I get noticeable stuttering. And the Spitfire or P-47 in such a scenario is a complete no go.

Now if I take a similar scenario in the F-18 over the PG and I fly low and in between the buildings around Dubai I can get perfectly smooth performance and not one drop below 45fps even by leaving the Cockpit mirrors on so I have hope that eventually the channel can be optimised in a similar way.

The fact that UGRA media made Normandy makes me hope Syria will be alright with VR but I remember Normandy stuttering after release I remember the PG stuttering, I think only Nevada run smoothly in VR from the off.

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO