[ALREADY REPORTED]"Milky Way" night sky texture incorrect depth in VR

Deano87

This is impossible to screenshot because it is a depth issue, but if you make a mission at 2-3 am on the Persian Gulf and climb up to high altitude (30-40k). There is a new background texture to the sky which I believe is meant to be the milky way and other sky features that you can see from high altitude at night. Unfortunately it seems to be set at the wrong "depth" for VR users as it seems to be right up against my face rather then behind the existing stars off at infinity. If I try and look at it, I go cross eyed. Can somebody else test this to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Latest Beta

Thanks

D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This is impossible to screenshot because it is a depth issue, but if you make a mission at 2-3 am on the Persian Gulf and climb up to high altitude (30-40k). There is a new background texture to the sky which I believe is meant to be the milky way and other sky features that you can see from high altitude at night. Unfortunately it seems to be set at the wrong "depth" for VR users as it seems to be right up against my face rather then behind the existing stars off at infinity. If I try and look at it, I go cross eyed. Can somebody else test this to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Latest Beta

Thanks

D

Hi Deano78,

Nope, you're not crazy, I noticed that also. I was not sure if it was meant to be the Milky Way, but since we got the same idea...

I agree it's a bit annoying when looking at the dark night's sky, the rendering distance seems only few centimeters away...

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Thanks Pride37,

Good to know it’s not just me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Oh cool, thanks BN. I did try and search the forum a bit but didn’t turn anything up. Thanks for letting us know it’s reported :)

Proud owner of:

Thank you BN! I'm sure it will be corrected soon.

Other than that, night flying is now trully a blast! the improvements you made in the past three months is astonishing: city lights, other planes visibility, stars, moon reflections, it really became a pleasure to fly by night compared to 2.5.5.

Congrats for the hard work and such good results!

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

• 2 weeks later...

Oh great! Thanks Mustang! I'll give it a try, should do the job until they fix it :thumbup:

Thanks Mustang!!!!

This fix works (it does remove the depth perception problem with the milkyway overlay by simply removing the overlay milkyway texture layer )

(Also)

Having a 100% overcast layer set (AND) flying under the overcast layer at night also prevents the user from seeing the disorienting milkyway cube texture... until you fly above the overcast layer and see the texture problem.

Obviously this prevents you from seeing things such as stars, the moon, etc at night.

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 6:24 AM, Mustang said:

this fixed it for me as well. Also had to bump the gamma setting a bit, but now very flyable.

the only thing I have now, is when using the night vision goggles there is also an overlay. I’m not talking about the blur (which is as i understand how it should be) but it is a layer on top of that, which is also locked to the vr headset. To me it feels the same as the issue with the night view.

Anybody know if there is a fix for the NVG as well?