DCS:Syria Map FAQ

Wags

Looks as if the ground dips away from the bottom of the fence while that section of fence does not dip with the ground contour. There might be a minimum distance at work where they can’t render a “bent fence” to follow the terrain. So actually, the shadow is correct referenced to that section of fence. It’s the fence itself that’s not dipping down into that swale.

Ah, I see. That's likely why - at a certain distance - the trees no longer seem to connect to the ground either, and thus seem to have a gap between their base and the ground contour. Almost as if 3D objects and the terrain scale differently.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Given the very topical nature of this map, the sales should be strong enough to justify Cyprus in the map. Perhaps as a starting point, just a "low-res" map with an outline of the land and the relevant military base is sufficient.

So far it looks stunning. Hopefully the VR performance is good; currently the Channel map needs further work!

This is day one purchase for me and I can foresee that it will be quickly adopted as one of the main maps in many servers because it could be used for conflicts ranging from the 50s to modern days and most of the planes we have now in DCS had real combat use over those countries. Also, it is a big map so the possibilities for mission designers are great.

It is certainly a great map choice.

PD: I know the southern region of Turkey very well and have landed in Hatay's airport many times. It will be fun to land my F18 there!

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I think you should add Diyarbakir, Turkey. Because for Turkish Air Force it is main base for operations to Syria.If you don't add Diyarbakir then it will be like a syria map without Turkish Air Force.

• Like 1

I think you should add Diyarbakir, Turkey. Because for Turkish Air Force it is main base for operations to Syria.If you don't add Diyarbakir then it will be like a syria map without Turkish Air Force.

Diyarbakır is too far to the location. It would double the size of the map.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Looks as if the ground dips away from the bottom of the fence while that section of fence does not dip with the ground contour. There might be a minimum distance at work where they can’t render a “bent fence” to follow the terrain. So actually, the shadow is correct referenced to that section of fence. It’s the fence itself that’s not dipping down into that swale.

Because in the game engine the shadow vector has edge feathering all around. So when the shadow actually starts at the point where the fence intersects the ground, it starts with a feathered transparent soft edge which looks like light bleeding underneath the fence. A real shadow has what's called a penumbra, which is where the shadow has a hard edge when the casted object is close to (or touching) the receiving object, and softens the further that distance extends.

TLDR - Shadow penumbra is faked with a soft edged shadow.

Edited by rainey06au

Will an Iraq map be available sometime?

DCS: Syria Map

Frequency Asked Questions (FAQ)

Updated 14 June 2020

Where is the map located?

In encompasses much the eastern Mediterranean from northern Israel up to southern Turkey. In includes all or portions of Syria, Israel, Turkey, Jordan, and Lebanon.

Do you foresee a map of Iraq being available at some point?

Diyarbakır is too far to the location. It would double the size of the map.

I would be happy if they just had some of the airbases that are off the map located on the edge so one could station aircraft to enter the arena as tasked.

I hate to nitpick but is there any chance Hasakah, Qamishli, Deir ez Zor, and the rest of Eastern Syria would be added in the future? When it was announced that Incirlik would be included I was excited to do some Operation Inherent Resolve ops, but it seems like the current map area cuts out 70% of OIR's operating area. It seems like right now the map limits us to 1982 Syria vs Israel ops and SyAAF barrel bombing.

I would be happy if they just had some of the airbases that are off the map located on the edge so one could station aircraft to enter the arena as tasked.

In the Mission Editor one can place assets which are non-existent until triggered by some event. Aircraft can be pre-positioned in flight (or ground forces on the ground) with any load out desired.

Maybe you could identify the specific location for each far-away airfield...

I agree with that. If the map does not strictly need to be rectangular, then some more portion of the north-west should be added. Overall, it looks good even if the map stays the same, its an insta buy for me.

It is the first ED map that blueforce will be separated by land. (NATO + IL vs SYR + RUS vs ISIS vs YPG) The coalitions and the factions relations are very complicated. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" rule does not apply here :)

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

The map looks GREAT ! It will be a wonderful place to set future missions and campaign ! Congratulation Ugra Media ! :thumbup:

My only regret is that there is so little sea, which makes that aircraft carrier will be at maximum 40nm from the coast. But I will cope with it. :)

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

88zb63ijm5551.png

There will be a lot missing from the map of Syria. I thought it would encompass all Syria.

104166335_676739146499883_6180211454266477947_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_eui2=AeEzjuemggdebi18sb0GN6Iv-dQOgquG6Xn51A6Cq4bpeYVQuYTK2Ndl5QNWZS6xc03Gal_VJAz982EnkHnEWLoX&_nc_oc=AQmPEuy3Co6OUDiCV6XAnhiIoaU_RR5OoTW-_ctczfEGeB5_pltqtE_3l-oGmW-VEKN_Sm0mP3alkAaMmfQ5MpWd&_nc_ht=scontent.fmao1-1.fna&oh=41a271ff37d0eb0959ba0b8d92186fd7&oe=5F0C986B

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Looks great! At least a lot of the major battle sites in Syria are going to be included. Hope we get some new units and liveries though. Syrian Air Force L-39, MIG-29, technicals, etc. Lebanon also flies the Super Tucano so that should fit in well once Razbam finish it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love how mountainious this map is! :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg