Does wsType and / or attribute change? (inc wsType.PLACEHOLDER)

omskTransmash

I am new to ME and missionscripting but I am eager to learn, and I need your help.

Im trying to figure out what wsType and attribute means and more importantly does it changes somehow.

Lots of mods and missions uses clsid but warehouses use wsType instead. and i looked into db weapons data some of them has wstype others have attribute some have both (with different value) and some have none.

also i changed quantities of some equipments and aircrafts in an airport. but next time i loaded it in a different computer, there are many dupilcated items in inventory, like 2 items of s-13 rockets have different quantities.

and i found some artice the mod makers set last wstype as wsType.PLACEHOLDER and it seems like dcs generates one for the mod?

then how a mission can be shared with others if 3rd party modules habe actually different wstype value because dcs randomly gave different numbers for wstype.PLACEHOLDER?

days of searching the forum yield no good result. please help me!

Attributes are typically associated with each object type and they provide a bit of meta data on that object that is used with AI. You can find a list here: https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_enum_attributes

And a list of objects with their attributes here: https://github.com/mrSkortch/DCS-miscScripts/tree/master/ObjectDB

I know that list isn't well organized, but the gist of it is that it is like a nested table of data. It can be better visualized with the "Search and Engage" tasks that you can assign AI tasks. A value of "All" would literally allow an aircraft to attack anything*. But you can specify that down a bit, for instance:

"Ships" would include all ships

"Unarmed ships" would only allow the AI to go after cargo ships

"Armed ships" would only allow it to go after military ships.

"Aircraft Carriers" would only allow it to attack carriers.

and so on.

I've used it to give SEAD flights tasks to go after "SAM SR" and "SAM TR" while ignoring the launchers.

* There is a caveat with the editor created tasks only list and save attributes related to their task. So while CAS aircraft list "Aircraft" as an attribute, it really only means helicopters.

wsType is something I'm not incredibly well versed in. The big problem with warehouses is that you have aircraft saved as strings, while the weapon is saved as a wsType. AFAIK there are values in the wsType that change based on when the object is loaded. So if you go into the files and literally switch an AIM-120 with an R-27ER then their wsTypes might be switched. The corruption comes into play whenever an object is added to the game, thus changing the order in which things are loaded. This has been a bug since warehouses were added along with Flaming Cliffs 3, which is the better part of the decade by now...

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Great thanks for the comment, it became a lot more clear. :thumbup:

But now I have a very important question, and it critically affects my mission making project!

The corruption comes into play whenever an object is added to the game, thus changing the order in which things are loaded. This has been a bug since warehouses were added along with Flaming Cliffs 3, which is the better part of the decade by now...

1. Can different DCS install (a friend's machine) have different (set of) wsType?

if i set a warehouse to have 10 AIM-120, then send the miz file to my friend, he will see something like 10 AIM-7F instead of 120, because he and I has different modules installed even if we have same DCS version?

2. Does it mean wsType can change, (1) every time the game launches,

(2) only change when game updates?

(3) only when the game update include new modules?

(4) only when the user installs a new module?

This is very important to me because it decides how long my mission would survive :cry:

Thank you again for your time and knowledge, and please help me (again)!

With the current implementation anything is possible and it is highly likely to be corrupted on each patch. I'd suspect if there are any mods like the A-4 it would also mess up the list.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

With the current implementation anything is possible and it is highly likely to be corrupted on each patch. I'd suspect if there are any mods like the A-4 it would also mess up the list.

Alright! Great thanks for the answer and hope this canbe fixed somehow..