Is there an updated manual?

tmansteve

I was wondering if there is or will be an updated manual release? I was trying to fire my Maverick F and found all the tutorials on this totally confusing as they didn't work.

I couldn't understand why there was no countdown to prepare so after a few goes, I realised the minimum heights and that when in range on target selected, the Mav with X through it cleared allowing me to fire.

Can someone enlighten me with the Ship selector? Is this WIP? I tried it but still had to find target myself as I thought it would seek out targets.

Maybe thinking too much.

Cheers

I was wondering if there is or will be an updated manual release? I was trying to fire my Maverick F and found all the tutorials on this totally confusing as they didn't work...

Most manuals and tutorials and vids become outdated in time, so the best that can be said about them is that they only give us CLUES how to make things work..:)

Personally I find an excellent approach is to create a small simple mission (it only takes a couple of minutes) on an empty map containing just our plane loaded with MavF's or whatever other weapons we want to play with.

Save it as aaa-MavF (the 'aaa' is so we don't get it mixed up with stock missions) then just fly around locking up buildings and things and zapping them.

Also keep a written note on a piece of paper in front of you like i do to remind you of the key sequence, for example with MavF's its simply-

Master Arm 'On'

Select Air-to-Ground mode

Click top left MFD button twice to get MFD seeker head screen

Fly the HUD triangle over target and hit the lock button.

Fire when the X vanishes.

There are other ways of doing it, for example by slewing the seeker head around, but the above no-frills sequence does the job..:)

PS- If you create a mission, start with the plane already airborne, as I think that eliminates the need for the annoying countdown clock.

PS again, I posted 5 screenies of a MavF launch in another thread only yesterday using the above sequence, check it out-

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4383381#post4383381

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Cheers pooroldspike.

One thing. I didn't realise there was a lock switch. I did a test today and all i had to do was slew the crosshair on the camera and then when in range, it allowed me to launch.

Like you say, make loads of missions with weapons and test em out. Still got to sort out the ship switch.

Many Thanks

Cheers pooroldspike.

One thing. I didn't realise there was a lock switch. I did a test today and all i had to do was slew the crosshair on the camera and then when in range, it allowed me to launch.

Like you say, make loads of missions with weapons and test em out. Still got to sort out the ship switch.

1- I never use slew (too fiddly) so you're more of an expert with slew than me.

2- What exactly do you mean by 'ship switch'? Is it to do with the MavF?

I just lock a ship and launch the MavF at it, piece o' cake..:)

PS- and I only use the MavF, it has a seeker head that can lock onto high-contrast targets using some kind of TV electro-optical system (experts will know more about it than me).

The other Mav is the 'E' version which needs a laser designator pod (or ground units) to designate a target, but i've only dabbled with that and need to test it out a lot more.

I was wondering if there is or will be an updated manual release? I was trying to fire my Maverick F and found all the tutorials on this totally confusing as they didn't work.

I couldn't understand why there was no countdown to prepare so after a few goes, I realised the minimum heights and that when in range on target selected, the Mav with X through it cleared allowing me to fire.

Can someone enlighten me with the Ship selector? Is this WIP? I tried it but still had to find target myself as I thought it would seek out targets.

Maybe thinking too much.

Cheers

Can't help with MOST of that, but the latest manual is apparently December 2019 (in the <DCS>/mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Docs directory).

Can't help with MOST of that, but the latest manual is apparently December 2019 (in the <DCS>/mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Docs directory).

The internal properties of that pdf say last modified 2020-05-18.

mods doc EN version:

Good hunting!

The Eagle Dynamics SA team

EAGLE DYNAMICS SA © 2019

20 June 2019

Yes it says that, but it's been updated since that. The 1st version with that has 297 pages. The new version still has that info on the last page but is 311 pages and new/different entries in the table of contents.