SEAD Reference Guide

RocketmanAL

I put together a SEAD Reference guide for my group and thought others might find it useful.

SEAD Reference Guide V1.2

Includes a basic overview, order of battle, deployment template, and system engagement procedures for the RF equipped air defense units within DCS.

Open to comments or suggestions.

Edited by RocketmanAL
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 10

This is a great guide. I have a question for you regarding SA-10 configuration.

"The FLAP LID has a max detection range of 86 nm, but this will vary on target RCS. The CLAM SHELL has a limited autonomous scan ability tailored to detect low level targets. An EWR is required to effectively detect medium- to high-altitude targets. ����

If we add an EWR to an SA-10 Group, does it actually change the detection range and operation of the SA-10 in the game?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 1 month later...
I put together a SEAD Reference guide for my group and thought others might find it useful.

SEAD Reference Guide

Includes a basic overview, order of battle, deployment template, and system engagement procedures for the RF equipped air defense units within DCS.

Open to comments or suggestions.

Very nice guide, thanks.

And now for a very bold request. ;-)

Is it possible to create templates for complete SAM sites? So one can drop a complete SAM system into a mission? This is something that I really find lacking in the mission editor.

• Like 1

Thanks for this I like the layout diagrams it adds some accuracy to design beyond plonking assets down. It would be worth cross referencing Acquisition time against what I have in my slides to make yours more accurate.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Very useful, thank you.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

• 1 month later...
If we add an EWR to an SA-10 Group, does it actually change the detection range and operation of the SA-10 in the game?

Sorry for the late reply, honestly stopped paying attention to this thread.

In my experience adding the BIG BIRD significantly improves the SA-10's ability to engage higher altitude and longer range targets. The CLAM SHELL is better for low-altitude, but if you put it's detection range next to the BIG BIRD it's significantly outclassed.

Is it possible to create templates for complete SAM sites? So one can drop a complete SAM system into a mission? This is something that I really find lacking in the mission editor.

Sorry for the delayed response, wasn't really watching this thred after the first week or so. You can create your own templates. It's the bottom section of the templates window. Just set-up a site like I have in the guide, or in your own style, and save it to have it avaliable for future uses.

Hi!

The ranges in your guide -- are they based on the in-game values, or real-world data?

Because some numbers for the SA-5, SA-6, and SA-8 (I haven't read the whole document, so there can be more) are quite different from my own playtests.

For example, the guide says that the Gammon's max and min engagement ranges are 138 and 3.75 nm, respectively. In DCS, however, it won't fire on targets that are farther than ~70 and closer than ~9 nm.

SA-6' max range is listed as 13 nm. It can, however, fire at you from ~21 nm:

Screenshot - Thu 23 Sep , 00_49_41.png

SA-8: same story. Listed as 5.5 nm, will actually fire from ~9 nm away.

I mean, the guide has a lot of good info overall, but the wrong ranges can easily get people killed 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Dima | My DCS uploads