Please make cockpit dirt optional...way too clean now

Chimango

The 21 got some love, thanks for the improvements in the new patch. But please, not only our sticked front sheet with convertions was removed (i really liked it) but also the cockpit glass is way too clean now, i liked the previous version, was more inmersive.

Please, make the weathered cockpit glass optional -same with the front sticked sheet- at least, if not, i'd rather have the previous stinky one.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

Its funny. I recall reading a thread people complained about dirty cockpit and canopy and demanded a clean one now you ask the dirty one lol.

I guess you cant make everyone happy. Good luck with the request tho. Personally I like the clean one.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

That's OK for an airliner, not a combat plane iconic for all it's combate usage over the decades. Imagine a supersonic jet doing that speed hitings bugs, dust, etc, etc and having a "out of the dealer" cockpit glass. The way MiG-21 cockpit was weathered was unique in DCS.

This clean one makes no sense, now the main glass has no depth, it seems there is nothing in front of you.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

As long as it is optional, I don't care. But I won't fly the MiG-21 with the original dirty glass. Between glare and dirt, it made flying and fighting unnecessarily difficult. No other DCS module gave me so much trouble trying to see outside the cockpit.

Have you ever sat in a real cockpit? Well maintained operational aircraft and well-preserved indoor museum aircraft have nearly perfect glass. Only 30 year old air frames, particularly ones left sitting outside with no maintenance look anything like the original MiG-21 canopy. There are plenty of photos and videos that show this is as true for the MiG-21 as any other aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its funny. I recall reading a thread people complained about dirty cockpit and canopy and demanded a clean one now you ask the dirty one lol.

I guess you cant make everyone happy. Good luck with the request tho. Personally I like the clean one.

+ 1

I really hated the toilet paper with markings attached to the gunsight. Why don't you just put that info you really need in a custom kneeboard page?

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z017D utilizzando Tapatalk

• ED Team
That's OK for an airliner, not a combat plane iconic for all it's combate usage over the decades. Imagine a supersonic jet doing that speed hitings bugs, dust, etc, etc and having a "out of the dealer" cockpit glass. The way MiG-21 cockpit was weathered was unique in DCS.

This clean one makes no sense, now the main glass has no depth, it seems there is nothing in front of you.

You think combat aircraft are neglected by the crew then? If my crew chief gave me an aircraft that I could not clearly see outside from, I would beat his ass.

You REQUESTING dirty cockpit shows you have little combat experience in the aircraft, once you actually fly it in multiplayer you will beg for clean cockpit glass. If anything, it's airliners that can be neglected.

Weathering is something that can be welcome, maybe even make it a slider in ME or something so that in defensive campaign scenarios the level of weathering can be used as an indication of how screwed your airbase is. But it definitely shouldn't be forced, nor even made default.

Edited by m4ti140

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

626359529071706122.png

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Yes, more liveries. We have English cockpit, Russian cockpit and Chinese cockpit. And someone is already making Finnish (which personally I think is superb). So three versions (dirty, mid dirty and clean) of each language version ?

Now when it comes to clean / not clean. Part of daily maintenance was to keep canopy clean and dirt free. I dont have that many high quality pictures showing canopy of combat ready units but even from that range its not hard to see that glass was kept in nothing less than perfect condition:

ueCJW1.jpg

JibqEE.jpg

cMkrKf.jpg

Here is picture from the inside once I had a chance to make a visit to a museum and seat myself in 21MF:

vGd5On.jpg

That one stood in museum for a couple years and shows obvious dusting and some smudges, either from touching it by visitors or rain or anything else. But despite that its still fairly translucent.

Edited by Hiromachi

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The dirty canopy was such that you didn't make out did you look a C-130 at 5 km distance or was it dirt speckle....

We wanted a fix for that so the canopy wouldn't be SO DIRTY. That is not same thing as "give us perfectly clean, invisible canopy".

Some dirt, cracks etc of course, but not perfectly clean like it doesn't exist.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The way MiG-21 cockpit was weathered was unique in DCS. /QUOTE]

Yes, it was very unique.

It was like flying a 30 years old outdoor museum piece that was pulled straight out from yard to combat use without anyone ever considering that the canopy could be wiped clean even with a news paper.... Maybe some tears of the poor pilot who needs to fly it....

You REQUESTING dirty cockpit shows you have little combat experience in the aircraft, once you actually fly it in multiplayer you will beg for clean cockpit glass..

LOL been flying MiG-21 MP mostly PvP since 2015=> https://www.youtube.com/user/Chimanov/videos you can check my channel, even some videos from those years and never had an issue with visuals other than the known horrible spotting due to DCS. It's a bit more difficult than a clean glass, but imo more inmersive and i fly DCS not for fair competition, but for inmersion.

I'm not saying it MUST be forced weathered, but also people people who bought this module many years ago and has been happy enjoying the decisions original devs took about the cockpit shouldn't be forced to this sterile glass just cause a couple of metrosexuals :megalol: (just kidding boys) don't like dirt!

Now seriously, make it OPTIONAL and i mean just the glass textures, if not, find something in the middle please, right now it looks like you have empty air and no glass in front of you.

Edited by Chimango

Troll :lol:

Canopy dirt does not add any form of value unless you want to reenact flying a museum piece.

Even during war and combat conditions Im confident that the crew make sure that the glass is as clear as possible. These are oldschool jets without sophisticated radar or avionics, clear visibility out of cockpit is very important.

People forget that in real life the parallax of your eyes means you don't actually notice the smudges that accumulate during take-off and flight or crazing in the glass...

The current version is perfect. There's just the right amount of translucency on the smudges so you can see there's some specks here and there, without getting your vision obscured in combat.

If people honestly can't see the glass effects or residual smudges right now... I don't think DCS is the cause of your spotting difficulties ;)

Yes, more liveries. We have English cockpit, Russian cockpit and Chinese cockpit. And someone is already making Finnish (which personally I think is superb). So three versions (dirty, mid dirty and clean) of each language version ?

Well, think outside the box or rather, don't make it more complicated than it could be. Assign a different texture map to the glass and then you don't have to make 3 versions for each language but only switch between the different glass textures.

Edited by razo+r

If dynamic reflections of the interior are ever added to DCS I think it would add greatly the the immersion and help solve the issue some have with the canopy being "too clean" and having no depth. More dust, dirt, grime, bugs etc, I don't think is the answer. The alternative is baked in reflections like many other modules have, not the best solution but if not over done I think adds to the immersion.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

If dynamic reflections of the interior are ever added to DCS I think it would add greatly the the immersion and help solve the issue some have with the canopy being "too clean" and having no depth. More dust, dirt, grime, bugs etc, I don't think is the answer. The alternative is baked in reflections like many other modules have, not the best solution but if not over done I think adds to the immersion.

Please No baked reflection. Concept of Baked reflection is very ancient and being it in game doesn't add any immersion. I would rather wait for dynamic reflection. I would rather lose fps than having baked in reflection. ED already adding somethings like Shadow reflect in glass. Hope they keep adding more dynamic reflections

Only 30 year old air frames, particularly ones left sitting outside with no maintenance look anything like the original MiG-21 canopy. There are plenty of photos and videos that show this is as true for the MiG-21 as any other aircraft.

Like this starting from 5:20 :D

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

People forget that in real life the parallax of your eyes means you don't actually notice the smudges that accumulate during take-off and flight or crazing in the glass...

And in VR....?