HOTAS WARTHOG

Pello86

Hi Guys,

I have finally got my hands on a HOTAS Warthog but I am currently having some teething problems how to set it up. Firstly not all the buttons work and secondly the stick doesn’t respond when moved. I have the TARGET software as directed in the instructions but I don’t know if I’m missing something else? If there’s a tutorial or something like that out there that would be great. Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

Rig: |(CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache|ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING|32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)|11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080TI|2TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE|1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)|CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET|Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans Thermal Paste||RIFT S VR| TM HOTAS A10 Warthog :joystick:

Hi Guys,

I have finally got my hands on a HOTAS Warthog but I am currently having some teething problems how to set it up. Firstly not all the buttons work and secondly the stick doesn’t respond when moved. I have the TARGET software as directed in the instructions but I don’t know if I’m missing something else? If there’s a tutorial or something like that out there that would be great. Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

Second handed or new? Does your pc recognize the HOTAS?

Mine works plug and play, and in most modules even a lot of buttons are already assigned to mappings (like trigger, pickle button etc.)

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

The warthog works quite well with DCS for me. TARGET does not need to be employed though, it can if you'd like. The TARGET software is a little odd and at times a difficult to setup.

As I said, DCS recognizes the warthog without doing anything. The biggest issue I encountered was this, when I open the Options page in DCS setup I often find Button from all three devices redundantly mapped to any or all three devices. Throttle buttons mapped to rudder pedals or, Joystick mapped to both Throttle and Rudders at the same time. Without realizing this at first, my HOTAS appears to be out of control.

Here's what I did.

1) Plug it in and start DCS

2) Open the DCS program and go to the Options/Control and select the appropriate module and select the "SIM" version.

3) Make sure their are no duplicates in adjacent columns.

4) When satisfied, make sure to save the profile in the appropriate module folder.

KA-50 - "\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\Ka-50\joystick"

or

FA-18 - "\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet\joystick"

Other than this, there really is nothing to do . . . Just watch for buttons mapped to other device. It will make the HOTAS go nuts

Thanks for the reply guys, it’s a new HOTAS and the PC does recognise it. Do I need to delete the TARGET software now I have installed it? I’m also having trouble with the stick in flight, so I’ve just don’t a flight with the A10 in Flamming Cliffs 3 and went the stick was centre the aircraft would be point nose up and climbing

Rig: |(CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache|ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING|32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)|11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080TI|2TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE|1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)|CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET|Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans Thermal Paste||RIFT S VR| TM HOTAS A10 Warthog :joystick:

I have TARGET installed however, I only use it to turn On/Off the LEDs. Install it and then ignore it. It really does not seem to matter or, that is to say, it's played no role other than to provide the system drivers. Try opening "Game Controller" in the device properties in the Control Panel. Select "Settings" and select "Calibrate" for each of the devices. This is all I have ever done. . .

Thanks for the reply guys, it’s a new HOTAS and the PC does recognise it. Do I need to delete the TARGET software now I have installed it? I’m also having trouble with the stick in flight, so I’ve just don’t a flight with the A10 in Flamming Cliffs 3 and went the stick was centre the aircraft would be point nose up and climbing

If it’s calibrated in Device Properties okay, and it does what it is supposed to in the DCS control menus, then it is probably a trim issue. Bind trim up, down, left and right to your hat switch on the top of the joystick, and try flying again. And if it’s climbing when it shouldn’t be, trim it down. But you can check the axis calibration first in the DCS control menu. Simply pushing the stick backwards and forwards will show the centre point of the calibration.

I tried to Calibrate, it’s not worked. Still having issues. It’s like the aircraft constantly trimming. I don’t have rudder peddles could this be why?

I’ll try binding the hat switch and let you know. Appreciate your help guys. Thank you

As suggested, the issue is almost certainly multiple controllers bound to the same function. The T.A.R.G.E.T. software is not necessary, and indeed may add another layer of confusion. There is no need to uninstall the software, just refrain from running it prior to starting DCS; simply connect the controllers to the USB ports on your PC.

DCS, by default, binds the pitch/roll/throttle to available axes on any controller connected to the system. In addition, some buttons are pre-bound. The problem is these are very rarely correct, and in the case of the Warthog HOTAS, will lead to pitch and roll being bound to the throttles in Flaming Cliffs aircraft.

Some full fidelity modules include default setups for the Warthog (A-10C, F/A-18C, F-16C for example) but for most jets you'll need to set things up yourself before flying.

Start by going into the controls menu and selecting the desired aircraft from the drop down.

Click on each column for each controller (you'll see separate columns for throttle, stick, and any other peripherals you have attached to the system) and then click the "clear" button to remove all default bindings.

Now, in the category drop down select "Axis Commands." Repeat the process, clearing all default axis bindings. You can now configure the HOTAS as desired without worrying about conflicts.

I have the TM Warthog HOTAS, rudder pedals and two of the cougar MFDs and the axis controls were cross bound on literally everything and needed to be cleared up on each device in the DCS controls setup. Give a good look in to the controls setup as suggested and I think you will find success. There is some solid advice (ie: Feefifofum) on how to clean the settings up. I am confident you will love the HOTAS once you are configured so good luck and happy flying!

PS: Remember you will have to do this for each aircraft/module you wish to play.

Also, consider looking at the Grim Reapers’ tutorials. They have sh!t-loads of them on YouTube. And they always do one for setting up a HOTAS for each plane, and always strive for some consistency between different aircraft. Which is important because, for the most common functions, you only need to learn the layout once. For example, flaps, trim, gear up/down etc will always be the same.

Thanks all for your help. I’ve managed to sort it. It was the trim issue you said.

@seanpellington: In the Input and Output section of the forum there's an entire Thrustmaster folder for info.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

If you hit the start button and start typing USB Gaming Controllers you will see the app. if you open it you will see the attached devices, it would be worth opening the THrottle and joystick and clicking each of the buttons and figuring out which ones are not responding so we can help troubleshoot the process. By default you dont need target, but without a specific target script you dont get an 'off' state for many of the switches so it may be the joystick is working but you are not getting the bindings you are expecting. If you can suggest which specific buttons dont work we may be able to help you identify if its a defect or not.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I have sorted the issue now. Thanks for your message