suggestion for better testing

festr

Hi guys from ED - it is more than obvious that you have problem with the quality / testing and so why just not let join the community to test things with you before you release beta? I'm pretty sure there are many volunteers which would test some pre-release version and find new bugs or check fixes so new beta releases will actually not turn into alfa releases which introduces more bugs than it actually fixes. Just though..

This is called Beta Testers, and they have beta testers. The question is why are there so many bugs which get through the testing. But this is a question they have to discuss internally and not in the open community.

They already have a closed beta and a public beta.

Then maybe they need to choose again, this is really buggy! Exactly what did they catch???

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

This simulation is complex. More so than the average software application.

There are 3rd parties involved, and it's guaranteed that if something is changed then it will affect something else somehow.

I also think that the fact that the team is working remotely and not in an office affected their testing quality and efficiency which is expected.

We are all going through personal adjustments due to the pandemic.

I'm not trying to come up with excuses for ED, I'm just looking at this rationally. I am confident that they will improve and get re-adjusted which will translate to better quality updates.

What you asking for is exactly what the Open Beta is. And, it's called Open Beta for a reason.

People are used to play everyday on OpenBeta asking for quality but they confuse what they are actually doing: TESTING, and help ED to find bugs.

I don't think ED should do different like this, they have a large community playing OpenBeta and they help them to find issues through their forums.

Who is bored of this job can just install Stable and play. Who plays OpenBeta should be warned and should behave constructively. :smilewink:

What you asking for is exactly what the Open Beta is. And, it's called Open Beta for a reason.

People are used to play everyday on OpenBeta asking for quality but they confuse what they are actually doing: TESTING, and help ED to find bugs.

I don't think ED should do different like this, they have a large community playing OpenBeta and they help them to find issues through their forums.

Who is bored of this job can just install Stable and play. Who plays OpenBeta should be warned and should behave constructively. :smilewink:

The latest “stable”patch brought all the fps issues to the “stable” branch. So again, what exactly did they accomplish??

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

This simulation is complex. More so than the average software application.

There are 3rd parties involved, and it's guaranteed that if something is changed then it will affect something else somehow.

I also think that the fact that the team is working remotely and not in an office affected their testing quality and efficiency which is expected.

We are all going through personal adjustments due to the pandemic.

I'm not trying to come up with excuses for ED, I'm just looking at this rationally. I am confident that they will improve and get re-adjusted which will translate to better quality updates.

very good thoughts. I'd say ED's biggest problem started when they began to allow third party development. Of course, some of the work of third parties is absolutely EXCELLENT and it has given this sim incredible diversity. But it comes at a high cost: A chaotic sandbox that ED, actually, has managed quite well considering the chaos invoked by, in my opinion, WAY too many projects. Then throw in the fact that they are on three different continents (I think)... well, it's tough.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

They need to make sure their "CLOSED" Beta testers are actually trying to find bug and test systems, not see how many planes they can jam into the hanger deck or how many bombs it takes to destroy the SC. Those are items created to get YouTube hits, not actually test anything, therefore should not allowed to take place in a closed Beta group.

Complexity is not an excuse for bad processes.

Systematic approach to closed beta testing and releases is key.

Each module needs tested, each build needs to pass inspection prior to public release.

I've seen the list of closed beta testers... it's long!

It's not just modules or new 'things' that need testing. Apparently this code is a freaken spaghetti and a little change in one string can screw up bunch of things on the other end.

Everything needs to be tested every time, at least on a basic level. The testing groups or individuals should have specific tests that need to be done... even just quick tests:doh:

I remember this annoying old fart beta tester from the 'other' sim. he posted his system of testing on the forums one time. It was amazing. It was done the same way every time. It took him days but he was always able to find some issue and make a detailed report. Well, he was retired and had plenty of time.

if they allow to buy early access modules like the F16 which I paid - ppl are maybe expecting some level of stability even in open beta - what we are seeing these days are not normal and should be avoided.