DCS Rafale B mod

johnnypropeller

Hey, we are a new team of newbies in DCS modding and as a quarantine project we started to work on a Rafale B (Two seater) mod as our first project. Our goal is to finish a very basic flyable mod in less than a month.

We started it on May 16th, and already worked 200+ hours on the 3d part of it.

Cockpit modeling and texturing is a 100% done, and animations too at this time.

We are also trying new techniques, as the modeling is done entirely in Sketchup.

Exterior is 60% complete.

Cockpit is 100% VR Compatible and tested with Rift CV1.

EFM is planned, but so far we'll stick with hybrid FM mixed between the Mirage 2000C and F-18C to mix the properties of a delta wing and two engined jet.

Avionics will be the F-18C in first.

Screenshots were taken in VR

1.png

2.png

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, we are a new team of newbies in DCS modding and as a quarantine project we started to work on a Rafale B (Two seater) mod as our first project. Our goal is to finish a very basic flyable mod in less than a month.

We started it on May 16th, and already worked 200+ hours on the 3d part of it.

Cockpit modeling and texturing is a 100% done, and animations too at this time.

We are also trying new techniques, as the modeling is done entirely in Sketchup.

Exterior is 60% complete.

Cockpit is 100% VR Compatible and tested with Rift CV1.

EFM is planned, but so far we'll stick with hybrid FM mixed between the Mirage 2000C and F-18C to mix the properties of a delta wing and two engined jet.

Avionics will be the F-18C in first.

Screenshots were taken in VR

1.png

2.png

The flight characteristics of the canard delta are quite different from that of the Mirage 2000.

For a start, the plan form is different, 48* sweep instead of 53, then it is not a single vortex like the Mirage but a 4 vortex aerodynamic you're looking at.

The canard surfaces are coupled with the LEX, not directly to the wing as was the case for the KFIR and Mirage IIIS, there are two sets of main vortexes coming from the canard, at their root and at their tips.

The canard root vortexes energize the LEX which in turn transmits this energy to the delta wing.

This triggers the appearance of vortex lift at a much lower AoA which reduces induced drag dramatically, a Rafale can out-fly a Mirage 2000 in full A-B while staying in dry military power.

That's for the drag/lift ratio, as for the canard tips vortexes, they energize the area around the ailerons which allows for a total roll authority at very low speed.

During a mock combat vs a F-22 at ATLC, a Rafale was recorded (HUD shot) rolling at 80Kt in yoyo maneuvers, speed of 15 Kt were recorded during testing vs Mirage 2000 (Patrick CASTAGNOS Responsable des essais en vol RAFALE Dassault Aviation).

So for the purist, I don't think that a flight envelop derivated from a mix between the F-18 and Mirage 2000 will do, if the Rafale is artificially limited to 30* AoA by its FCS, it has far better control authority than both by virtue of better aerodynamic.

It bleeds much less energy at high AoA and G, recovers it much faster and do not know limitations in more than a few parts of its flight envelop, such as transonic...

I frankly don't know how you're going to pull this one off if your references are just that of those two aircraft, you'll need some serious aerodynamicist and coder to come anywhere close to something realistic, but if you manage that I'd be the first to buy one from you...

For the time being, here is one of the best bank of info for this aircraft...

http://rafalenews.blogspot.com/2010/07/french-rafale-news.html

file:///C:/Users/ThunderChief/Documents/Rafale_demonstrator.pdf

http://rafalefan.e-monsite.com/medias/files/essais-en-vol.pdf

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

A cooperation between both teams would be awesome :D :D :D

What teams? You mean Razbam and this mod team?

If so, then it is a legal nightmare etc as someone would need to make the contracts and get all the rights and permissions etc. And at that point you would just kick the "another team" from the picture and do it all by yourself.

If there are some another team making a mod for this, then sure there is change they could cooperate but again that is problematic if there is any different mentalities and schedules in development.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If so, then it is a legal nightmare etc as someone would need to make the contracts and get all the rights and permissions etc. And at that point you would just kick the "another team" from the picture and do it all by yourself.

If there are some another team making a mod for this, then sure there is change they could cooperate but again that is problematic if there is any different mentalities and schedules in development.

Where some of them would probably beneficiate is at the flight envelope/data level, because in comparison, a Mirage 2000 is relatively simple to simulate, a sort of electric trowel with an on/off switch for AoA/drag ratio...

I'm all for a Rafale module but frankly, knowing the aircraft at an advanced level (theory level) I'm just curious to see one of them flying in DCS, it's nowhere near what we know in DCS right now.

In comparison, its avionics will be a lot easier to put together with a fair amount of realism, perhaps they should ask "Ate" to participate in the development of its flight envelope...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

To clarify some ideas, this project was never intended to be a paying module but a free one initially. but due to the very sensitive data about the Rafale, and Dassault not wanting anybody to mess with the Rafale, this will stay a private mod, and will not be distributed by any means, and will be only private. It'll basically serve as a benchmark test for my future ''less sensitive'' projects.

So i am not even sure that we'll be posting anymore screenshots, as the beast is nearing completion in the next days.

Nobody wants to mess with lawyers, especially for just a video game.

Sorry, I was not referring to ED, but the Cuesta Brothers (Eric and Patrick):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266248

They have a nice single seater Rafale but no cockpit. Johnnypropeller's team have a dual seater and a nice cockpit (at least on screenshots). So 2 freeware modules and as far as I know, no lawyer involved. A collaboration would be beneficial for both teams and the whole community....but hey, that's maybe just a dream, I can't tell what's in their minds :)

If someday Razbam or any other module maker produces an ED validated Rafale, it'll be an instant buy for me.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

Sorry, I was not referring to ED, but the Cuesta Brothers (Eric and Patrick):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266248

They have a nice single seater Rafale but no cockpit. Johnnypropeller's team have a dual seater and a nice cockpit (at least on screenshots). So 2 freeware modules and as far as I know, no lawyer involved. A collaboration would be beneficial for both teams and the whole community....but hey, that's maybe just a dream, I can't tell what's in their minds :)

If someday Razbam or any other module maker produces an ED validated Rafale, it'll be an instant buy for me.

It has nothing to do with Razbam, ED, or enthusiasts.

The Rafale belongs to Dassault Aviation, and it is they and only they who will allow the development of a Rafale in DCS.

ED, Razbam, or any developer can have problems with the law.

I am also French and my dream would be to pilot this plane in module, but I do not believe it for many years ... :pleurer:

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

To clarify some ideas, this project was never intended to be a paying module but a free one initially. but due to the very sensitive data about the Rafale, and Dassault not wanting anybody to mess with the Rafale, this will stay a private mod, and will not be distributed by any means, and will be only private. It'll basically serve as a benchmark test for my future ''less sensitive'' projects.

So i am not even sure that we'll be posting anymore screenshots, as the beast is nearing completion in the next days.

Nobody wants to mess with lawyers, especially for just a video game.

Woaaaaooowww...

Beautiful, Just can't wait anymore to try it.

Will we able to use the weapons?

And if yes, will you be modeling the MICA and other Rafale weapons with the data of F18 weapons?

Say you will pleeeaaaassseeeeee...

Because it is already awesome in the screens, and with the weapons would be just a magnificent mod.

Anyway thank you so much for this project and hard work.

You make me really dream.

read the quoted post above

remember that other kid that tried twice to propose a rafale mod before also getting smote down by dassault themselves?

history just keeps repeating itself

because you sad sacks never can take a hint

Don't be so mad over a video game dude.

i'm not a sad sack, just developped it for myself as a bored quarantine project, while being laid off while not flying (For real. as in Real job. not in a game). i don't devellop for any lame forum fame or virtual notoriety.But for my own pleasure. and i'm really pleased.

The only hint you should take, is that i'm playing on an awesome Rafale B mod, almost paying module quality and you don't. So i'm a quite pretty happy sack.

If you so mad, some PRO TIPS :

1) don't rely on other people doing the job, don't wait for handouts, if you want to obtain something, do it yourself.

2) if you're so mad in your life about a video game. try to get laid to relieve your tension, it could help, try to nail a girl, or i don't know get out and get some real life friends, go out do some sport, eat something. lots of options besides forums.

3) drink some chamomile tea it's know for it's appeasing virtues.

for the other guys, here are some renders of the last version. I don't know if i am uploading more screens if it's to argue with crybabies about a game. i'm too old for this sh*t.:smilewink:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

this is the external model Btw, fuselage textures i don't know yet if i want to do some roughmet work or a fuel photoreal work.

• Like 1