CGTC - Caucasus Ground Textures Compilation for DCS 2.5

LucShep

PLEASE NOTE: THIS MOD WAS MADE FOR OLDER VERSIONS OF DCS 2.5.6, AND IS NOW DEPRECIATED.  

IT'LL STILL BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, REGARDLESS.

A REBUILDED, DERIVED VERSION  HAS BEEN CONCLUDED BY ME AND PICKSKING, THEN HANDLED BY E.D. , TO BE INCLUDED OFFICIALLY IN DCS WORLD AS PART OF ITS CONTENT  (AS OF 16/JUNE/2021, OPEN BETA 2.7.2.7910.1).

EDIT: For those of you yet to update to latest DCS OPEN BETA 2.7.2.7910.1 and curious about it, there are some early "WIP - preview" screenshots available HERE.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

CGTC - Caucasus Ground Textures Compilation v2.0 (INSPIRED ON PMTC) for DCS 2.5

Now presenting version 2.0 of CGTC.

This is a ground textures modification for the Caucasus map of DCS 2.5, directly inspired and with a few edited materials from an older mod for DCS 1.5, called PMTC.

Please note that it is not a compilation per se, but more of a "homage" to that PMTC mod, hence the name "Compilation".

It is an extensive overhaul, to bring back rougher, more complex ground textures, and less saturated, more natural tones to the Caucasus map of DCS2.5.

• This mod was tested and made compatible with DCS WORLD 2.5.6 (as of this date, 2.5.6.52437 stable release).
  • Confirmed to work with Open Beta releases, as well as with previous versions of DCS 2.5.
  • All of the texture replacements (both High and Low resolutions are included) have similar format and size as defaults, so performance is identical.
  • As usual with this type of mod, it will only work in Multiplayer if on servers with disabled integrity check.

I've prepared a detailed "READ ME" document in .PDF format, available HERE.

It countains all the info that should be required, be it descritption, installation and credits/thanks.

Please take a moment to read it as it should clear most common doubts and questions.

CGTC v2.0 download links:

I also provide two separate optionals for CGTC v2.0 (they are not necessary at all, but it may interest some):

• CGTC v1.0 Main Ground Tex - »» DOWNLOAD ««
    These are the main ground textures from the previous version of CGTC (based on those of PMTC v2.2).
    Provided here as alternatives to the ones in CGTC v2.0 (also work as a standalone mod).

• Alternative forest subctrate - »» DOWNLOAD ««
    These have been updated for CGTC v2.0. If not sure what is this about, then see discussion in this post.

And to showcase CGTC v2.0, here are the mandatory screenshots:

SPRING...

bXb6jqW.jpg

1vdqcRi.jpg

48qMhCh.jpg

0QGgs2v.jpg

SUMMER...

qjV3Ed3.jpg

IwmlCMT.jpg

jaH84Pu.jpg

5yOiEUD.jpg

AUTUMN...

hdJ9OCM.jpg

XV0zULo.jpg

qYjDXsG.jpg

G9MUUNO.jpg

WINTER...

vdRNcbM.jpg

h30zXLd.jpg

LmBL9eB.jpg

J0VgmJD.jpg

Edited by LucShep
LEFT A NOTE - THE MOD IS NOW DEPRECIATED.
  • Thanks 1

aka Luke Marqs; aka DucFreak

LM transparent DCS icons_hs_shdw - 6_75pc.png

Win10 Pro x64 | i7 10700KF (all-core 4.9GHz OC) | 32GB DDR4 3400MHz CL13 (OC) | RX 5700XT 8GB | 1TB NVMe + 500GB SSD + 4TB TB HDD | 650W PSU | 55'' curved 4K NU8500 | M-Audio USB + HD-599SE | X52 Pro HOTAS | TrackHat

Sorry all for the trouble, links are now fixed! :)

These pass IC ??

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to make a mod like this and pass IC.

Like I mentioned in the "READ ME", as with any mod like this one, it will only work in Multiplayer if on servers with disabled integrity check.

Can't find the specific post right now, but I recall someone from ED mentioning that they've decided to block terrain mods in IC, so that noone atempts exploits then gets advantage over others (for example, customized terrain providing better spotting of ground targets, etc).

Edited by LucShep

Win10 Pro x64 | i7 10700KF (all-core 4.9GHz OC) | 32GB DDR4 3400MHz CL13 (OC) | RX 5700XT 8GB | 1TB NVMe + 500GB SSD + 4TB TB HDD | 650W PSU | 55'' curved 4K NU8500 | M-Audio USB + HD-599SE | X52 Pro HOTAS | TrackHat

The textures itself are nice, but there's something wrong with the distant trees.

They look odd compared to stock or (below) Mustang's textures:

CGTC

NVj314o.jpg

Mustang

lG5GQZi.jpg

CGTC

KjyJeQ4.jpg

Mustang

GBHjufk.jpg

Guess I can try combining Mustang's trees with this mod.

Edited by Minsky

- Dmitriy

@Minsky:

That "bug" also seems to exhist with the default stock textures, funny enough.

It seems related with the textures exhistent inside the following packages, located in the "...\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\vfstextures" folder:

• ForestSubctrateAutumn.zip
  • ForestSubctrateAutumn.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSpring.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSpring.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSummer.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSummer.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateWinter.zip
  • ForestSubctrateWinter.min.zip

I've used the default stock textures as a base for those (ones you get inside those packages I mentioned), which may explain it.

It seems that Mustang didn't and is using different customized ones?

I'll investigate for sure. Thanks for reporting that.

Edited by LucShep

The textures itself are nice, but there's something wrong with the distant trees.

They look odd compared to stock or (below) Mustang's textures:

CGTC

NVj314o.jpg

Mustang

lG5GQZi.jpg

CGTC

KjyJeQ4.jpg

Mustang

GBHjufk.jpg

Guess I can try combining Mustang's trees with this mod.

@Minsky:

That "bug" also seems to exhist with the default stock textures, funny enough.

It seems related with the textures exhistent inside the following packages, located in the "...\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\vfstextures" folder:

• ForestSubctrateAutumn.zip
  • ForestSubctrateAutumn.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSpring.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSpring.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSummer.zip
  • ForestSubctrateSummer.min.zip
  • ForestSubctrateWinter.zip
  • ForestSubctrateWinter.min.zip

I've used the default stock textures as a base for those (ones you get inside those packages I mentioned), which may explain it.

It seems that Mustang didn't and is using different customized ones?

I'll investigate for sure. Thanks for reporting that.

Ok, following Mustang's formula of alpha-channel, I can offer an alternative set for those subctrate textures, just for those of you who feel that's better.

:unsure: TBH, I'm not so keen on this solution. I've tested quite a bit and, must say, the pop-up of trees becomes quite more noticeable, I'd even say too much.

It starts to make sense why ED used such alpha-channel (it's meant to disguise that). So, I'll stick to default alpha-channel of ED, as it is in CGTC already.

Anyway, there's an alternative for those who prefer it like Mustang's. You can get it HERE, then install it by placing the content into the main game folder, overwriting files when prompted.

A matter of trade-off, I think, as it sure can be beneficial at higher altitudes, while somewhat detrimental at lower(ish) altitudes.

Edited by LucShep

I added an updated version to the first post:

---------------- CHANGELOG ----------------

v1.01:

- Small adjusment in the noise2 value (updated terrain.cfg.lua).

- ForestSubctrateWinter.zip was missing the corresponding .json file.

v1.00:

- Initial Release.

Minor changes, but better update package. :)

This looks great. Can I ask a maybe somewhat simple question? What is the difference between a mod such as this versus say the Mustang or Starway texture mod for Caucasus? Obviously this mod is significantly smaller so there is a difference in terms of content.

Regards,

Z

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

What is the difference between a mod such as this versus say the Mustang or Starway texture mod for Caucasus? Obviously this mod is significantly smaller so there is a difference in terms of content.

This mod (1.7 Gb) is definitely not smaller than Mustang's (1.3 Gb) or Starway's (1.6 Gb).

- Dmitriy

This mod (1.7 Gb) is definitely not smaller than Mustang's (1.3 Gb) or Starway's (1.6 Gb).

Hi,

My mistake, I looked only at the RAR file from the "user files" download. I didn't open the archive and spot the 1.7GB Google dirve download.... :doh:

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

Hi,

My mistake, I looked only at the RAR file from the "user files" download. I didn't open the archive and spot the 1.7GB Google dirve download.... :doh:

Just installed, and it looks great. Many thanks! :thumbup:

Wow - this need to be sticky or integrated in official version by default!

Any reason ED changed to a "worse" look:doh:. Anyone know

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] This must be reality, no sim can have this many bugs!

Some very encouraging comments from people. smile.gif Thanks for those of you posting comments and feedback. Good or bad, they're welcome.

I'm currently trying to improve some things I felt were not so good, i.e, worth a revision for next release of CGTC:

• noise1.tif.dds (the main tile) of Spring, Summer and Autumn will be changed to the one used in PMTC V2.3 (instead of one of PMTC v2.2).

• the trees will have to be further tweaked, as I feel they're still too colorfull and bright.
  • the fields textures can show some repetitive tiling issue at times, and therefore need to try different ones.

I still don't know if for the Winter textures I should keep the heavy snow "all around white ambience" of winter (as it is now), or to change it to something more like a sort of Autumn with light snow on top.... :unsure:

Anyways, currently redoing the Autumn.book.gif here's a couple "WIP" screenshots, close to the Kobuleti airfield at 10.00 am (sorry for the JPG compression):

zjtvXwW.jpg

OUJSWO3.jpg

Edited by LucShep

Thank you for this revamp of the Caucasus Map, LucShep. It looks great! Don't know if I'm the only one, but. Would love to see the Nevada map look this good, seems like it's lacking lustre.

Hebrews 13:2

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”

Thank you for this revamp of the Caucasus Map, LucShep. It looks great! Don't know if I'm the only one, but. Would love to see the Nevada map look this good, seems like it's lacking lustre.
Yup me too, the caucasus rework looks stunning frankly