Winwing export eating cpu cycles

My flight panels from winwing arrived yesterday, so I started using the winwing export again.

I'm noticing the cpu/fps performance issue as well on my rig with the winwing lines in the export.lua, even when I remove VAICOMM and Simshaker. Has there been any progress done on this weird export.lua behaviour ?

I tried to set the update cycle to 0.05 (default is at 0.1)but nothing changes.

So probably there is something in their script that is wrote in a bad way

Vincent "Virus" DThe

PC: R9 5900x/RTX2080Ti, 64GB RAM.

Joystick bases: Virpil T-50CM2

Joystick grips: Virpil T-50CM2

Throttles: Virpil T-50-CM3 Throttle

Hardware: VKB T-Rudder, Razer Tartarus, Winwing Take Off and Combat Ready Panels

VR: Oculus Quest 2

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5, TrackIr v5

I flew a 1.5hr mission last night and saw that Simappro used less then .4% CPU! Where are you guys seeing high CPU usage?

i9-9900K @ 5.1 - delided, Gigabyte Aorus Elite MB, Corsair H150i Pro water cooler

64gig G-Skill DDR4@3600, MSI 2080Ti

Winwing Super Taurus, Super Libra, TO and Combat panels

MFG Crosswind pedals, Tek Creations panels

Trackir

I flew a 1.5hr mission last night and saw that Simappro used less then .4% CPU! Where are you guys seeing high CPU usage?

SimAppPro is not what's eating our frame times away. It's the script that occurs within DCS to feed the data to simapppro.

To see if you're affected, first check your frame times and the lua usage with DCS frame counter, then go to \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and then comment out those two lines like so

-- local wwtlfs=require('lfs')

-- dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

Then check your frame times again.

For a lot of users, especially in VR, the difference is huge. There's apparently something wrong with the way Winwing is syncing SimAppPro with DCS.

• Like 1

i7 4790K, 1080ti, oculus quest+link, winwing f18 hotas, MFG crosswind

custom AB2 pit

Can you use the panels without the export like the throttle?

Yes, but you lose the blinking landing gear lever. It's not a big deal though, given that DCS is almost unplayable in VR with their export anyway

custom AB2 pit

My FPS stays the same (locked at 60fps) during the mission....I don't fly VR, just Trackir

i9-9900K @ 5.1 - delided, Gigabyte Aorus Elite MB, Corsair H150i Pro water cooler

Trackir

My FPS stays the same (locked at 60fps) during the mission....I don't fly VR, just Trackir

Yeah that very different.

To my in 2d using their export the fps are locked at 64fps.

Without the fps are free to jump depending on the context.

In Vr it is just unplayable

Vincent "Virus" DThe

Hardware: VKB T-Rudder, Razer Tartarus, Winwing Take Off and Combat Ready Panels

So, those of you that are having the problem.....have you sent the info to Winwing??

Trackir

Yes, but you lose the blinking landing gear lever. It's not a big deal though, given that DCS is almost unplayable in VR with their export anyway

Thats fine by me. It blinks in VR for me either way. I literally don't care what it does on the desktop. I mean its cool if you are playing in a simpit or monitor, but its irrelevant in VR. All I use the various software to do is turn off all the blinkenlights.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I am not the only one.

i7-10700k@5Ghz

32Mb ram

"High" default settings

Reverb G2, in game PD 1.0, Steam SS 100%

With the WW exports included (and all other exports disabled) - CPU frametime - 28ms

With the WW exports removed - CPU frametime - 9ms!

Edited by Bullant
  • Like 1

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.5 GHz / ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming / 32 Gb G.Skill DDR4 / Inno3d RTX 3090 / 512 Gb Samsung 850 EVO System SSD / 512 Gb Samsung 850 EVO DCS SSD / Win 10 x64 Pro / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AV-8B, F-5E, F-86F, FC3, FW190D-9, Hawk, Ka50 2, P-51D, Spitfire, UH-1H, F/A-18C, F-14, F-16, Supercarrier, Christen Eagle 2

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel

Guys, I may have found a workaround....

For those with a Nvidia GPU...in the nvidia control panel set vsync to fast.

This way I don't have any fps loss...for now I tried only in 2d...later i will try using VR.

• Thanks 2

Vincent "Virus" DThe

A new version of Simappro has dropped that resolves the excessive CPU usage

Trackir

After testing on my rig, the new 1.4.34_beta version of simapppro is much better, but it's still impacting my framerate. Subjectively, it went from unplayable to okayish.

In-game fps counter shows a LUA cpu usage of 2-3% without winwing lines in export.lua, 40% with old simapppro version, 8-9% with 1.4.34_beta.

Sadly I'm achieving my best framerate without winwing's lines in export.lua and with simappro turned off. Please note that I am playing in VR on an old i7-4790k, so I'm heavily cpu bound.

• Like 1

custom AB2 pit

Newest version of simappro didn't help me, CPU frametimes still at 28+ vs 10 without the exports.

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.5 GHz / ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming / 32 Gb G.Skill DDR4 / Inno3d RTX 3090 / 512 Gb Samsung 850 EVO System SSD / 512 Gb Samsung 850 EVO DCS SSD / Win 10 x64 Pro / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AV-8B, F-5E, F-86F, FC3, FW190D-9, Hawk, Ka50 2, P-51D, Spitfire, UH-1H, F/A-18C, F-14, F-16, Supercarrier, Christen Eagle 2

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, lolwut845 said:

After testing on my rig, the new 1.4.34_beta version of simapppro is much better, but it's still impacting my framerate. Subjectively, it went from unplayable to okayish.

In-game fps counter shows a LUA cpu usage of 2-3% without winwing lines in export.lua, 40% with old simapppro version, 8-9% with 1.4.34_beta.

Sadly I'm achieving my best framerate without winwing's lines in export.lua and with simappro turned off. Please note that I am playing in VR on an old i7-4790k, so I'm heavily cpu bound.

I have noticed the exact same issue with the Combat Ready Panel that I just received (first Winwings product that I have purchased) - even with the latest beta software, there is noticeable stuttering with the Winwings lines active in export.lua, while performance goes back to normal smooth when I remove them and don't run the SimApp Pro software.

I also found the software to be somewhat messy in terms of cleaning up leftover files and registry entries upon uninstall, and randomly just deciding not to run at times.  I am very meticulous about software I install on my latest sim computer, so this (along with the need to log in and be connected to the internet for certain functionality) puts me off using the software or even keeping it installed (despite its impressive configurability).

For now I am using the panel with no SimApp Pro software and removed the added lines in the export.lua - after spending 30+ years fighting with setups that run flight sims smoothly and finally getting there, I am not willing to give that back and go back to stutters.

- Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

same for me. the export lines drop my FPS from 100 to 65....

the sim app pro doesnt seem to create issue in itself though. its the export line for the button lights to sync that are the issue

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - ZOTAC 2080ti AMP Extreme Core - Cougar FSSB + Cougar NN_Dan + HOTAS Warthog + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedals - Track IR5

• 3 weeks later...

same here, fps drops when Lua mod synchronization with DCS is up. 😞

On 12/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, VirusAM said:

Guys, I may have found a workaround....

For those with a Nvidia GPU...in the nvidia control panel set vsync to fast.

This way I don't have any fps loss...for now I tried only in 2d...later i will try using VR.

actually is the best way for me to play with LUA up, with ww t/o panel in 2D.

thx for tips

may be an investigation way for devs; to find the real issue?

Edited by Flav