Winwing export eating cpu cycles

VirusAM

My flight panels from winwing arrived yesterday, so I started using the winwing export again.

I'm noticing the cpu/fps performance issue as well on my rig with the winwing lines in the export.lua, even when I remove VAICOMM and Simshaker. Has there been any progress done on this weird export.lua behaviour ?

I tried to set the update cycle to 0.05 (default is at 0.1)but nothing changes.

So probably there is something in their script that is wrote in a bad way

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I flew a 1.5hr mission last night and saw that Simappro used less then .4% CPU! Where are you guys seeing high CPU usage?

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I flew a 1.5hr mission last night and saw that Simappro used less then .4% CPU! Where are you guys seeing high CPU usage?

SimAppPro is not what's eating our frame times away. It's the script that occurs within DCS to feed the data to simapppro.

To see if you're affected, first check your frame times and the lua usage with DCS frame counter, then go to \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua and then comment out those two lines like so

-- local wwtlfs=require('lfs')

-- dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

Then check your frame times again.

For a lot of users, especially in VR, the difference is huge. There's apparently something wrong with the way Winwing is syncing SimAppPro with DCS.

• Like 2

i7 4790K, 1080ti, oculus quest+link, winwing f18 hotas, MFG crosswind

custom AB2 pit

Can you use the panels without the export like the throttle?

Yes, but you lose the blinking landing gear lever. It's not a big deal though, given that DCS is almost unplayable in VR with their export anyway

• Like 1

custom AB2 pit

My FPS stays the same (locked at 60fps) during the mission....I don't fly VR, just Trackir

My FPS stays the same (locked at 60fps) during the mission....I don't fly VR, just Trackir

Yeah that very different.

To my in 2d using their export the fps are locked at 64fps.

Without the fps are free to jump depending on the context.

In Vr it is just unplayable

• Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

So, those of you that are having the problem.....have you sent the info to Winwing??

Yes, but you lose the blinking landing gear lever. It's not a big deal though, given that DCS is almost unplayable in VR with their export anyway

Thats fine by me. It blinks in VR for me either way. I literally don't care what it does on the desktop. I mean its cool if you are playing in a simpit or monitor, but its irrelevant in VR. All I use the various software to do is turn off all the blinkenlights.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I am not the only one.

i7-10700k@5Ghz

32Mb ram

"High" default settings

Reverb G2, in game PD 1.0, Steam SS 100%

With the WW exports included (and all other exports disabled) - CPU frametime - 28ms

With the WW exports removed - CPU frametime - 9ms!

Edited by Bullant
  • Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Guys, I may have found a workaround....

For those with a Nvidia GPU...in the nvidia control panel set vsync to fast.

This way I don't have any fps loss...for now I tried only in 2d...later i will try using VR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A new version of Simappro has dropped that resolves the excessive CPU usage

After testing on my rig, the new 1.4.34_beta version of simapppro is much better, but it's still impacting my framerate. Subjectively, it went from unplayable to okayish.

In-game fps counter shows a LUA cpu usage of 2-3% without winwing lines in export.lua, 40% with old simapppro version, 8-9% with 1.4.34_beta.

Sadly I'm achieving my best framerate without winwing's lines in export.lua and with simappro turned off. Please note that I am playing in VR on an old i7-4790k, so I'm heavily cpu bound.

• Like 1

custom AB2 pit

Newest version of simappro didn't help me, CPU frametimes still at 28+ vs 10 without the exports.

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, lolwut845 said:

After testing on my rig, the new 1.4.34_beta version of simapppro is much better, but it's still impacting my framerate. Subjectively, it went from unplayable to okayish.

In-game fps counter shows a LUA cpu usage of 2-3% without winwing lines in export.lua, 40% with old simapppro version, 8-9% with 1.4.34_beta.

Sadly I'm achieving my best framerate without winwing's lines in export.lua and with simappro turned off. Please note that I am playing in VR on an old i7-4790k, so I'm heavily cpu bound.

I have noticed the exact same issue with the Combat Ready Panel that I just received (first Winwings product that I have purchased) - even with the latest beta software, there is noticeable stuttering with the Winwings lines active in export.lua, while performance goes back to normal smooth when I remove them and don't run the SimApp Pro software.

I also found the software to be somewhat messy in terms of cleaning up leftover files and registry entries upon uninstall, and randomly just deciding not to run at times.  I am very meticulous about software I install on my latest sim computer, so this (along with the need to log in and be connected to the internet for certain functionality) puts me off using the software or even keeping it installed (despite its impressive configurability).

For now I am using the panel with no SimApp Pro software and removed the added lines in the export.lua - after spending 30+ years fighting with setups that run flight sims smoothly and finally getting there, I am not willing to give that back and go back to stutters.

- Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

same for me. the export lines drop my FPS from 100 to 65....

the sim app pro doesnt seem to create issue in itself though. its the export line for the button lights to sync that are the issue

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

• 3 weeks later...

same here, fps drops when Lua mod synchronization with DCS is up. 😞

On 12/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, VirusAM said:

This way I don't have any fps loss...for now I tried only in 2d...later i will try using VR.

actually is the best way for me to play with LUA up, with ww t/o panel in 2D.

thx for tips

may be an investigation way for devs; to find the real issue?

Edited by Flav

• 1 month later...

I just got the last Winwing panel in, so I now have both the Takeoff and Combat. Do I like them, of course... I could not build a button box at that low of cost to do what these panels accomplish.

FPS report : I get an average of 15-20 FPS DROP with Winwing enabled in the background to turn on-off the push buttons, landing gear, etc.

So for now, I'm not using the Winwing software nor scripts to sync my panels. The update rate on the Winwing script should poll only every 30'th of a second or so?

---

Edited by Noluck
content/spelling

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

On 12/3/2020 at 6:55 AM, VirusAM said:

Sir, I LOVE Your Work!

I noticed a big FPS drop a few days ago, and lucked upon it being Stream Deck lines in the export.lua. Then found this thread, read through it, tried your fix, and voila - silky smooth DCS again. Would never have tried this fix myself, so thank you kindly mate!

Nick 

Can any of you that are having this issue, please email info@winwing.cn with all of your findings and what you have done to fault find.

I can vouch for setting the Nvidia control panel setting, from Vsync = Off to Vsync = Fast fixes the Winwing script FPS issue on my system.

In fact, with Vsync set to Fast I see no FPS drops at all with my setup. With it off is a big FPS hit with the script.

I still have an issue why I have to have the Winwing app running in the background to make it work. Also, you can't hit the minimize button on the top right, it will exit the app. Winwing has some work to do.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

12 hours ago, Noluck said:

I can vouch for setting the Nvidia control panel setting, from Vsync = Off to Vsync = Fast fixes the Winwing script FPS issue on my system.

In fact, with Vsync set to Fast I see no FPS drops at all with my setup. With it off is a big FPS hit with the script.

I still have an issue why I have to have the Winwing app running in the background to make it work. Also, you can't hit the minimize button on the top right, it will exit the app. Winwing has some work to do.

---

I hit the minimise button and it works fine!

On 7/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, Noluck said:

---

Hi Noluck,

1.Could you please do a test ?Do nothing in Nvidia control panel setting.just cancel the vsync in DCS World setting.

2.you can hit the minimize button ,just expand the  hide icons on the taskbar.you can see the simapppro icon.Then double hit the icon,you can open the simapppro again.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:05 AM, fogshadow said:

Hi Noluck,

1.Could you please do a test ?Do nothing in Nvidia control panel setting.just cancel the vsync in DCS World setting.

2.you can hit the minimize button ,just expand the  hide icons on the taskbar.you can see the simapppro icon.Then double hit the icon,you can open the simapppro again.

1) I do not have any vsync set or enabled in DCS. I only have the fast vsync setting in Nvidia.

2) Simapppro is working fine minimized, my bad.

---

On 7/10/2021 at 9:53 PM, Noluck said:

1) I do not have any vsync set or enabled in DCS. I only have the fast vsync setting in Nvidia.

2) Simapppro is working fine minimized, my bad.

---

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please refer the attach file to disable the vsync in DCS setting And set the vsync in Nvidia to the original status?I need to know if only disable the vsync in DCS Setting have the same result.

Regards

DCS World Setting About Vsync.png

Edited by fogshadow