Radio Menu disappears after first call

Xxx

I am attempting to fly a mission with 3 wing men.

After take off I order a spread formation. All wing men comply.

The radio menu is then unavailable. The # key or the \ key does not work and radio menu is no longer available?

Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Is that right? Surely if so the OP would have had to do that to tell his flight to spread in the first place?

Yes, exactly! That's why I got very confused. I had access to the flight upon take off, got them in formation, then lost the radio menu?

So my solution (eventually after much head scratching and trial and error) was to select "easy Comms" from options menu.

I seem to recall that you can't adjust the freqs in the KA-50, so you need to use easy Comms.

Anyway, it works with easy Comms.

Thanks for the PTT info, I recall using that in the past.

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Just tested, I have no ability to bring up the communication menu using \ after takeoff. I consider this a bug and am making a report in the other thread. Enabling easy communications or using the PTT switch fixes it though. Otherwise it should display but not do anything IMO.

Just tested, I have no ability to bring up the communication menu using \ after takeoff. I consider this a bug and am making a report in the other thread. Enabling easy communications or using the PTT switch fixes it though. Otherwise it should display but not do anything IMO.

Yep, it's a bug hunt! I'm on easy Comms and that sorts it, for now.

I tried amending the radio freqs in the mission planner. I can't seem to alter them by editing. What I like to do is see if I can drop the Black Shark into missions that are designed for other modules. Those, like Baltic Dragons, generally require specific freqs to talk to other assets.

Still, the data link in the Ka-50 is a really good feature!

Speaking of features, if you put rainy weather in the mission, when you slow to a hover the effects are superb. I am seeing a waterfall of water, assisted by the rotor downwash. I've never seen rain effects that good! I would just ask ED to make the wiper clear the screen, then it would be perfect!

Google Translate

If you have disabled the Easy Communication option:

• The SPU-9 PTT command [RAlt]+[\] is an imitation of radio communications through the SPU-9 intercom. Until you switch the SPU-9 selector, and adjust the desired frequency, no one will hear you.
  • The Radio Menu command [\] is an imitation of conversations with ordinary voice messages. When verbal communications switch SPU-9 and adjust the frequency is not required. While you are standing at the airport, everyone hears you (while you scream so loudly that you can still be heard, despite the noise of the helicopter and the cockpit door closed). :) As soon as you take off, nobody can hear you anymore.

Original in Russian

Если у Вас отключена опция «Упрощённые переговоры»:

• Команда «СПУ-9 ПТТ» [RAlt]+[\] – это имитация радиопереговоров через СПУ-9. Пока Вы не переключите переключатель через СПУ-9, и не настроите необходимую частоту, Вас никто не услышит.
  • Команда «Меню радиопереговоров» [\] – это имитация переговоров обычными голосовыми сообщениями. При вербальном общении переключать СПУ-9 и настраивать частоту не требуется. Пока Вы стоите на аэродроме – Вас все слышат (при этом Вы кричите настолько громко, что Вас всё равно слышно, несмотря на шума вертолёта и закрытую дверь кабины). :) Как только вы взлетели, то Вас уже никто услышать не может.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
update.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

If you have disabled the Easy Communication option:

• The SPU-9 PTT command [RAlt]+[\] is an imitation of radio communications through the SPU-9 intercom. Until you switch the SPU-9 selector, and adjust the desired frequency, no one will hear you.
  • The Radio Menu command [\] is an imitation of conversations with ordinary voice messages. When verbal communications switch SPU-9 and adjust the frequency is not required. While you are standing at the airport, everyone hears you (while you scream so loudly that you can still be heard, despite the noise of the helicopter and the cockpit door closed). :) As soon as you take off, nobody can hear you anymore.

Original in Russian

Если у Вас отключена опция «Упрощённые переговоры»:

• Команда «СПУ-9 ПТТ» [RAlt]+[\] – это имитация радиопереговоров через СПУ-9. Пока Вы не переключите переключатель через СПУ-9, и не настроите необходимую частоту, Вас никто не услышит.
  • Команда «Меню радиопереговоров» [\] – это имитация переговоров обычными голосовыми сообщениями. При вербальном общении переключать СПУ-9 и настраивать частоту не требуется. Пока Вы стоите на аэродроме – Вас все слышат (при этом Вы кричите настолько громко громче, что Вас всё равно слышно, несмотря на шума вертолёта и закрытую дверь кабины). :) Как только вы взлетели, то Вас уже никто услышать не может.

Thanks. So we are using a cheat radio in fact, when we use \ easy Comms radio. The thing I noticed was that, when trying to use the "real Comms", there is no way to adjust the radio frequencies from inside the cockpit. I gather these are pre set by the technicians on the ground? When trying to enter frequencies from the mission planner radio frequency editor, I am unable to re tune them. I know the range is limited to 59.9, which must be a Russian Air force limitation?

I am enjoying the Black Sharks new cockpit and those rain effects are superb! Put rain at 8 and go from 100 knots to hover. There is a waterfall of rain on your canopy... superb! Now ED needs to make the wiper clear the rain!

Cheers.

Google Translate

Thanks. So we are using a cheat radio in fact, when we use \ easy Comms radio…

Well, I would not call it 'cheat radio', rather the name 'cheat voice' is suitable for this. :)

DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN (p.14-20).

<…>

As in real life, there are two communication methods with the ground crew:

• Through the telephone headset device when the radio knob is set properly and when the "АВСК" switch is set to "ON" on the side panel.
  • Through normal voice when the helicopter is "cold" and the door is open. This assumes that the engines, APU, and rotors are off.

<…>

After the Easy Communication option was introduced in the DCS World, as well as the 'SPU-9 push-to-talk' command (simulating the Radio button on the cyclic), then if the Easy Communication option remains disabled, the [RAlt]+[\] command began to simulate the 1st method, and the [\] command is the 2nd method. True, in the latter case, it began to be applied not only to ground crew, but to all units located at the airfield. Also, for reasons incomprehensible to me, there was no longer a need to turn off the engines and the APU of the helicopter, as well as open the cockpit door.

… The thing I noticed was that, when trying to use the "real Comms", there is no way to adjust the radio frequencies from inside the cockpit. I gather these are pre set by the technicians on the ground? When trying to enter frequencies from the mission planner radio frequency editor, I am unable to re tune them. I know the range is limited to 59.9, which must be a Russian Air force limitation?..

I don't speak English, and therefore I'm afraid that I didn't understand your questions correctly. Are you asking about the R-828 radio? If I understand you correctly, then in that case yes… for a given radio, the channels are tuned in advance by ground crew, after which they are stored in the memory device of the radio. This radio operates in a frequency range that is not used in aviation radio communications. The R-828 frequency range is used in tactical radio stations of the ground forces.

About the control of the preset R-828 radio channels in the game, the frequencies for which are set in the mission editor, is written in the Manual on pp.6-74…6-76. The radio frequency thumb wheels on the R-800L1 radio control system has nothing to do with the R-828 radio, because the R-800L1 and R-828 are two separate radio stations.

Original in Russian

Thanks. So we are using a cheat radio in fact, when we use \ easy Comms radio…

Ну, я бы не стал называть это «чит-радио», скорее этому подходит название «чит-голос». :)

DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU (стр.14-22).

<…>

По аналогии с реальной жизнью в симуляторе реализовано два метода связи с наземным персоналом:

• Связь через СПУ и абонентский аппарат. Доступна при установке галетного переключателя на панели радио левого пульта в положение НОП и включенном переключателе АВСК на боковой панели.
  • Связь голосом на «холодном» вертолёте при открытой двери кабины. При этом двигатели вертолёта, ВСУ и винты должны быть остановлены.

<…>

После того, как в DCS World ввели опцию «Упрощённые переговоры», а также команду «СПУ-9 push-to-talk» (имитация кнопки РАДИО на РППУ), то если опция «Упрощённые переговоры» остаётся отключенной, соответственно команда [RAlt]+[\] стала симулировать 1-й метод, а команда [\] – 2-й метод. Правда в последнем случае она стала применяться не только к наземному обслуживающему персоналу, а ко всем юнитам, находящимся на аэродроме. Также по непонятным для меня причинам больше не стало необходимости выключать двигатели и ВСУ вертолёта, а также открывать дверь кабины.

… The thing I noticed was that, when trying to use the "real Comms", there is no way to adjust the radio frequencies from inside the cockpit. I gather these are pre set by the technicians on the ground? When trying to enter frequencies from the mission planner radio frequency editor, I am unable to re tune them. I know the range is limited to 59.9, which must be a Russian Air force limitation?..

Я не говорю по-английски, и поэтому боюсь, что я не совсем правильно понял Ваши вопросы. Вы спрашиваете о радиостанции Р-828? Если я Вас правильно понял, то в таком случае да… для данной радиостанции каналы настраиваются заранее наземным обслуживающим персоналом, после чего они запоминаются запоминающим устройством радиостанции. Эта радиостанция работает в частотном диапазоне, который не используется в авиационной радиосвязи. Частотный диапазон Р-828 используется в тактических радиостанциях наземных войск.

Про управление предустановленными радиоканалами Р-828 в игре, частоты для которых задаются в редакторе миссий, написано в Руководстве на стр.6-67. Задатчик частот на блоке командной радиостанции Р-800Л1 не имеет никакого отношения к радиостанции Р-828, потому что Р-800Л1 и Р-828 – это две отдельные радиостанции.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
update.

Well, I would not call it 'cheat radio', rather the name 'cheat voice' is suitable for this. :)

DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN (p.14-20).

After the Easy Communication option was introduced in the DCS World, as well as the 'SPU-9 push-to-talk' command (simulating the Radio button on the cyclic), then if the Easy Communication option remains disabled, the [RAlt]+[\] command began to simulate the 1st method, and the [\] command is the 2nd method. True, in the latter case, it began to be applied not only to ground crew, but to all units located at the airfield. Also, for reasons incomprehensible to me, there was no longer a need to turn off the engines and the APU of the helicopter, as well as open the cockpit door.

I don't speak English, and therefore I'm afraid that I didn't understand your questions correctly. Are you asking about the R-828 radio? If I understand you correctly, then in that case yes… for a given radio, the channels are tuned in advance by ground crew, after which they are stored in the memory device of the radio. This radio operates in a frequency range that is not used in aviation radio communications. The R-828 frequency range is used in tactical radio stations of the ground forces.

About the control of the preset R-828 radio channels in the game, the frequencies for which are set in the mission editor, is written in the Manual on pp.6-74…6-76. The radio frequency thumb wheels on the R-800L1 radio control system has nothing to do with the R-828 radio, because the R-800L1 and R-828 are two separate radio stations.

Original in Russian

Ну, я бы не стал называть это «чит-радио», скорее этому подходит название «чит-голос». :)

DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU (стр.14-22).

После того, как в DCS World ввели опцию «Упрощённые переговоры», а также команду «СПУ-9 push-to-talk» (имитация кнопки РАДИО на РППУ), то если опция «Упрощённые переговоры» остаётся отключенной, соответственно команда [RAlt]+[\] стала симулировать 1-й метод, а команда [\] – 2-й метод. Правда в последнем случае она стала применяться не только к наземному обслуживающему персоналу, а ко всем юнитам, находящимся на аэродроме. Также по непонятным для меня причинам больше не стало необходимости выключать двигатели и ВСУ вертолёта, а также открывать дверь кабины.

Я не говорю по-английски, и поэтому боюсь, что я не совсем правильно понял Ваши вопросы. Вы спрашиваете о радиостанции Р-828? Если я Вас правильно понял, то в таком случае да… для данной радиостанции каналы настраиваются заранее наземным обслуживающим персоналом, после чего они запоминаются запоминающим устройством радиостанции. Эта радиостанция работает в частотном диапазоне, который не используется в авиационной радиосвязи. Частотный диапазон Р-828 используется в тактических радиостанциях наземных войск.

Про управление предустановленными радиоканалами Р-828 в игре, частоты для которых задаются в редакторе миссий, написано в Руководстве на стр.6-67. Задатчик частот на блоке командной радиостанции Р-800Л1 не имеет никакого отношения к радиостанции Р-828, потому что Р-800Л1 и Р-828 – это две отдельные радиостанции.

Thank you sir, your understanding of English is excellent, it puts my language ability to shame!

I'm using easy Comms since I can easily give commands to my wingmen, without redialing the thumb wheels.

I was experimenting with the radio transmission, as a radio direction finder. I can tune the R800 to the unit that I have assigned a radio transmission, the 828 unit will only tune to NDB's.

The mission I am working on actually uses the Tarawa, with a UK Black Shark! Why you may ask am I using the Tarawa? It's because I can only take off three helicopter's from the Kutznetzov, so I loose a wingman?

Anyway, regarding the radio as RDF. I find that I loose the station after I have tuned to my wingmen. When I try to re acquire the RDF transmission, I find it's disappeared? To clarify what I'm doing, I have assigned the RDF radio to a "rescue" helicopter, transmitting a looped message on 255 am at 50w. The rescue helo is flying alongside the Tarawa!

Ultimately this really is not necessary, since I learnt yesterday, that you can request azimuth bearings from your carrier. The ATC then replies with the azimuth and the RDF needle on the HSI briefly moves to the bearing. I live and learn!

Thank you for your replies. I enjoy the Black Shark, as you may guess!

Cheers. Spasiba!

Google Translate

Thank you sir, your understanding of English is excellent, it puts my language ability to shame!

I'm using easy Comms since I can easily give commands to my wingmen, without redialing the thumb wheels.

I was experimenting with the radio transmission, as a radio direction finder. I can tune the R800 to the unit that I have assigned a radio transmission, the 828 unit will only tune to NDB's.

The mission I am working on actually uses the Tarawa, with a UK Black Shark! Why you may ask am I using the Tarawa? It's because I can only take off three helicopter's from the Kutznetzov, so I loose a wingman?

Anyway, regarding the radio as RDF. I find that I loose the station after I have tuned to my wingmen. When I try to re acquire the RDF transmission, I find it's disappeared? To clarify what I'm doing, I have assigned the RDF radio to a "rescue" helicopter, transmitting a looped message on 255 am at 50w. The rescue helo is flying alongside the Tarawa!..

Thanks, but maybe you are exaggerating my abilities a little. Unfortunately, I cannot always understand what is written in English. :)

Unlike the DCS: Mi-8MTV2, in which the R-828 radio is paired with the ARK-UD VHF RDF for homing a helicopter to ground VHF radio stations, in the DCS: Ka-50, the R-828 radio does not have a RDF connected to it. The R-828 VHF/HF radio with frequency modulation (FM) cannot homing a helicopter to MF/LF NDBs with amplitude modulation (AM).

For homing to NDBs in the DCS: Ka-50, there is separately the ARK-22 MF/LF automatic direction finder (ADF) with AM, which is not connected in any way with the R-828 radio. About the control of the preset ARK-22 radio channels in the game, the frequencies for which are set in the mission editor similar to the frequencies of the R-828 radio, it is written in the Manual on pp.6-71…6-74.

The R-828 radio on the Ka-50 is intended only for radio communications with ground forces. In a single-player, using this radio station, you can receive 'radio messages' from ground AI commanders and JTACs (sound files and text messages duplicating them) if the mission author creates the appropriate conditions using the X:COCKPIT PARAM EQUAL TO trigger that controls the correct switch by the player to the necessary R-828 radio channel.

Da ne za chto! :)

Original in Russian

Благодарю, но возможно Вы несколько преувеличиваете мои способности. К сожалению, я не всегда могу понять, что пишут на английском. :)

В отличие от DCS: Ми-8МТВ2, в котором радиостанция Р-828 сопряжена с УКВ-радиокомпасом АРК-УД для привода вертолёта на наземные УКВ-радиостанции, в DCS: Ка-50 радиостанция Р-828 не имеет сопряжённого с ней радиокомпаса. УКВ/КВ-радиостанция Р-828 с частотной модуляцией (ЧМ) не может самостоятельно приводить вертолёт на приводные СВ/ДВ-радиостанции с амплитудной модуляцией (АМ).

Для привода на приводные радиостанции в DCS: Ка-50 отдельно имеется автоматический СВ/ДВ-радиокомпас АРК-22 с АМ, который никак не связан с радиостанцией Р-828. Про управление предустановленными радиоканалами АРК-22 в игре, частоты для которых задаются в редакторе миссий аналогично частотам радиостанции Р-828, написано в Руководстве на стр.6-64…6-66.

Радиостанция Р-828 на Ка-50 предназначена лишь для радиосвязи с наземными войсками. В синглплеере с помощью данной радиостанции можно получать «радиосообщения» от наземных ИИ-командиров и ПАН (звуковые файлы и дублирующие их текстовые сообщения), если автор миссии с помощью триггера X:КАБИННЫЙ АРГУМЕНТ АНИМАЦИИ В ДИАПАЗОНЕ создаст соответствующие условия, контролирующие правильное переключение игроком на необходимый радиоканал Р-828.

Да не за что! :)

Edited by S.E.Bulba
update.

Anyway, regarding the radio as RDF. I find that I loose the station after I have tuned to my wingmen. When I try to re acquire the RDF transmission, I find it's disappeared? To clarify what I'm doing, I have assigned the RDF radio to a "rescue" helicopter, transmitting a looped message on 255 am at 50w. The rescue helo is flying alongside the Tarawa!

Ultimately this really is not necessary, since I learnt yesterday, that you can request azimuth bearings from your carrier. The ATC then replies with the azimuth and the RDF needle on the HSI briefly moves to the bearing. I live and learn!...

ARK-22 is for NDBs. However the R-800 V/UHF radio has a supplementary ADF function.

When the ATC replies to you over the radio the R-800 linked ADF is homing on their transmission. This is why it is momentary.

The best way to make a homing signal on a carrier with the ME is to use a moving zone and radio transmission (from zone) in the trigger menu

Choose a frequency within the operating limits of the ARK-22, 150kHz - 1750kHz. (0.150 - 1.750MHz) and adjust the ARK-22 presets accordingly.

Google Translate

ARK-22 is for NDBs. However the R-800 V/UHF radio has a supplementary ADF function.

When the ATC replies to you over the radio the R-800 linked ADF is homing on their transmission. This is why it is momentary.

The best way to make a homing signal on a carrier with the ME is to use a moving zone and radio transmission (from zone) in the trigger menu https://youtu.be/RADZkVJYQ8U…

Thanks, very useful information! :thumbup: I knew that the R-800L1 VHF radio was paired with the ARK-22 ADF, but I had no idea how to use this in the game, because I did not know how to correctly set the VORs in the mission editor.

Probably when assigning frequencies for the VORs in the mission editor, should you take into account the R-800L1 radio frequencies, which in the DCS: Ka-50 are 100.000–149.975MHz and 220.000–399.975MHz?

Original in Russian

Благодарю, очень полезная информация! :thumbup: Я знал, что УКВ-радиостанция Р-800Л1 сопряжена с радиокомпасом АРК-22, однако не догадывался как применить это в игре, потому что не знал как правильно выставить РМА в редакторе миссий.

Вероятно при назначении частот для РМА в редакторе миссией, следует учесть радиочастоты Р-800Л1, которые в модуле DCS: Ка-50 составляют 100,000–149,975 МГц и 220,000–399,975 МГц?

Edited by S.E.Bulba
update.

Thanks, very useful information! :thumbup: I knew that the R-800L1 VHF radio was paired with the ARK-22 ADF, but I had no idea how to use this in the game, because I did not know how to correctly set the VORs in the mission editor.

Probably when assigning frequencies for the VORs in the mission editor, should you take into account the R-800L1 radio frequencies, which in the DCS: Ka-50 are 100.000–149.975MHz and 220.000–399.975MHz?

Original in Russian

Благодарю, очень полезная информация! :thumbup: Я знал, что УКВ-радиостанция Р-800Л1 сопряжена с радиокомпасом АРК-22, однако не догадывался как применить это в игре, потому что не знал как правильно выставить РМА в редакторе миссий.

Вероятно при назначении частот для РМА в редакторе миссией, следует учесть радиочастоты Р-800Л1, которые в модуле DCS: Ка-50 составляют 100,000–149,975 МГц и 220,000–399,975 МГц?

Yes but keep in mind that if your mission has any user flaming cliffs aircraft, which cannot tune their radios, they will constantly hear anything being broadcast on the VHF and UHF bands.

High and medium frequencies fortunately seem to be safe despite Su-25 and Su-27 having radios that operate in these ranges.

Google Translate

Yes but keep in mind that if your mission has any user flaming cliffs aircraft, which cannot tune their radios, they will constantly hear anything being broadcast on the VHF and UHF bands.

High and medium frequencies fortunately seem to be safe despite Su-25 and Su-27 having radios that operate in these ranges.

Thanks! I believe that in single-player this will not be a problem for AI aircraft.

IRL, the VOR frequencies correspond to the range of 108.000–117.950MHz with 0.050MHz spacing (in the USA, the number X from the range of 108.X00–111.X50MHz should always be even). Therefore, if you develop missions almost like IRL, then it means such a difficult fate for those who fly on FC3 aircraft.

I don't have a DCS: FC3, and I never flew a Su-25T in multiplayer, so I was always interested in the question: why does something constantly beeping in the FC3 cockpit on the video by players in MP? It seems now that I know the reason. :)

Original in Russian

Благодарю! Полагаю, что в синглплеере это не будет проблемой для ИИ-самолётов.

В реальной жизни частоты РМА соответствуют диапазону 108,000–117,950 МГц с интервалом 0,050 МГц (в США цифра X из диапазона 108,X00–111,X50 МГц всегда должна быть чётной). Поэтому если разрабатывать миссии почти как в реальной жизни, то значит это такая тяжёлая судьба для тех, кто летает на ГС3-самолётах.

У меня нет модуля DCS: ГС3, и я никогда не летал на Су-25Т в мультиплеере, поэтому меня всегда интересовал вопрос: почему на видео игроков в МП постоянно что-то пищит в кабинах ГС3-самолётов? Кажется, теперь я знаю в чём причина. :)