Turbo needed for takoff MP

granola1861

Please correct me if this is accurate but did the Jug need turbo to make 61" MP at sea level on takeoff? I'd figure the supercharger could handle that much as sea level. Makes for an interesting takeoff run as the turbo kicks in about midway down my run and kicks the pressure up to WEP levels and I have to reign in the throttles to keep her near takeoff power and not nuke the engine. This is especially troubling since I'm having to go ahead and takeoff without the oil temp in the green (I see that issue has been already reported).

Love the jug and she flies like the Cadillac she is known for.

Good initial launch by DCS and hopefully these issues (numerous but small overall) will be addressed soon.

Thanks in advance

-Climber

You don't need that much

I just meant that thats what I use.

I may have put the wrong pressure on my post. I'm having issues even making 52 inches. Seems to stop rising around the low 40's. Not a problem with a light load but with ordnance it gets to be an issue.

Strange, you don't need the turbo to get to 52" at sea level but if you have a heavy load using boost for takeoff is recommended that way you can get to higher manifold pressure.

The R2800 has a supercharger so it should be capable of reaching 52" at sea level.

I've read some of the manuals for the 47 but had missed the part of setting the turbo prior to increasing throttle. Makes sense as the B17 had a turbo dial and the throttle would go to max power and the pilots would "dial" the turbo for the appropriate manifold setting.

Edited by granola1861

The R4800 has a supercharger so it should be capable of reaching 52" at sea level.

I've read some of the manuals for the 47 but had missed the part of setting the turbo prior to increasing throttle. Makes sense as the B17 had a turbo dial and the throttle would go to max power and the pilots would "dial" the turbo for the appropriate manifold setting.

With 100 octane the boost lever can be linked to the throttle except for start and high altitude turbine speed management. Only 91 Octane requires unlinking them, which DCS does not simulate.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

To get a piston engine above ambient pressure (~30 inches), supercharging is required.

So, yes, the turbo-supercharger is required to achieve 52 inches MP.

P-47 has an engine driven supercharger and a turbosupercharger. You shouldn't need the boost (turbo supercharger) to get to 52", the engine driven supercharger is sufficient for that (at lower altitudes)

To get a piston engine above ambient pressure (~30 inches), supercharging is required.

OP knows that it seems. The way I read it the question was rather about engine blower alone - was it capable of yielding 50"+ itself or not. I guess it wasn't (?).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

OP knows that it seems. The way I read it the question was rather about engine blower alone - was it capable of yielding 50"+ itself or not. I guess it wasn't (?).

Thats correct. I understand the 4800, I was just curious if there may be some code tweaking needed from the ED side or if the need for additional boost is indeed required over the straight supercharged radial to reach 51"