[CORRECT AS IS] SLAM no terrain following?

oldcrusty

How would AGM-84E SLAM be capable of terrain following? It has no onboard radar and afaik it has no onboard DTED either. Its up to the pilot to employ it responsibly.

Yea, it's a long range Walleye;)

I did employ it responsibly... eventually, from 33k feet, 60deg term angle, high flt profile.

In the mountains, it was basically line of sight. Oh well:noexpression:

Does the AGM-84E not have a RADAR altimeter?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• ED Team
Don't use it in the hills;)

Now, that I mentioned it... Is there any weapon in DCS capable of terrain following?

Hi

it would not be accurate for the SLAM to have terrain following

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

it would not be accurate for the SLAM to have terrain following

thanks

Really? I found this. Check the middle of the paragraph about the "New Planar Wings". What did I miss here? They do seem to be talking about the SLAM-ER version.

"Description: SLAM-Expanded Response (ER) is Naval Aviation's follow-on to the SLAM Stand-off Outside Area Defense (SOAD) weapon. It is a day/night, adverse-weather, precision-strike weapon with over-the-horizon range. SLAM is based on the highly successful and reliable Harpoon anti-ship missile, with a Global Positioning System-aided Inertial Navigation System (GPS/INS) for mid-course guidance, and a Maverick Imaging Infrared sensor and a Walleye data link for precise, "man-in-the-loop" terminal guidance. SLAM-ER, an evolutionary upgrade of SLAM, provides the Navy and Marine Corps with a major improvement in precision strike capability. A modified Tomahawk warhead improves lethality and penetration. New planar wings double the range and allow terrain-following flight. Mission planning time has been reduced to less than 30 minutes, and targeting has been improved via a "freeze frame" command that reduces pilot workload.

SLAM-ER+ will also incorporate Automatic Target Acquisition (ATA), making it an autonomous weapon and enhancing the missile's capability against small targets and targets in urban environments. ATA uses a matching algorithm to recognize both the aimpoint as well as the surrounding scene, reducing the requirement for manual pilot intervention via a data link.

Program Status: SLAM Initial Operational Capability (IOC) was in 1991. Procurements of SLAM have been 75 units each in FY 1994 and 1995. SLAM-ER has successfully completed developmental testing (with five-of-five successful missions), and has begun operational testing; IOC is planned for FY 1998. SLAM-ER+ will enter production in the fourth quarter FY 1998.

Developer/Manufacturer: Boeing, St. Louis, Missouri.