Channel Map and the Huey.

Tinkickef

So first and only aircraft to press that I tried in the map was the Huey... Lifted off at Hawkinge, down to the coast at folkstone, back up the white cliffs and came across a familiar valley that I knew headed towards Dover that in a previous life I would fly my blennie down, before setting out low level to skip bomb the St Omer hangers..

I digress.. Across the port of Dover, resisting the urge to try to hover taxi the huey through a nearby railway tunnel, cut across land and over to Manston.

When this map is optimised it is a heli pilots dream. The coastline and beaches are to die for, the water is not tropical as shown on some pre release vids, it is green and cloudy but you can see the bottom down to a depth of probably 2-3ft or so. The groynes dip into the water and can be seen for a fair while before gradually fading out. So far so good.

The towns and airfields are well detailed and look pretty good, the fields and hedgerows look very good. The lighting is excellent, apart from some shimmer from the rooftops. Trees do not shimmer. (Shadows medium), but did with shadows low.

The emergency landing ground at Manston is hellishly impressive when approaching at 500 ft in the huey, that runway is a monster.

Performance. I have been having problems in VR with all maps since 2.56 dropped. I'd say the channel map is no worse than Normandy was after 2.56 when you had ai units on the move. Enough of a hit to cause blurring and that slight light headed feeling when really close to the ground. I think it is the new lighting causing it. Above 300ft AGL I had no visible performance issues apart from when looking sideways out the door window, when once again there was a slight blurring.

Overall, it is probably maybe slightly better than Normandy was before the speed trees and optimisations.

It is playable with my equipment, but not brilliant. I will be glad when they take another look at all the 2.56 optimisations for VR.

So do I recommend it to huey guys? You'll love the map, but hate the performance.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Already crashed once trying to land at Dover Castle. Not the map's fault; my Huey landings are graded by CEP. Did land on the docks at Dover, delivered mail to the Chain Home site, spied on more than a few gardens, finally know that those thingys are called (groynes), brought the *cough* evening's entertainment to Manston. Who says Hueys don't belong on a 1944 map?

The thing was designed for a Huey. Too much detail to leave it to fixed wing aircraft.

I second the

Yes, videos for us with Stable version now or never, please. :)

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5 (still not in use)

Flew from Folkestone to Framezelle, up the coast past Calais to Dunkirk (landed on the Dunkirk runway because there's aren't many things that can), over Dunkirk and back to Dover.

This is a seriously beautiful map. Frame rates for me are pretty descent, but I'm not entitled to an opinion about frame rates. Whoever managed the details has OCD in the best possible way. Flying over this at 300 kts and 20,000 feet should be a crime.

It would be icing on the cake to have more era-appropriate shipping available, but that's a different discussion and I imagine they've already got some plans for it.

I can make videos, but lack a good place to post them.

You've inspired me to finally download Open Beta. After ~14 hours almost all downloaded...

Beta has its quirks; if you can appreciate what's there without getting worked up over what isn't it's worth the trouble.

I had some issues with DCS not wanting to run today; switched to the Normandy map and they went away. Haven't taken the time to nail anything down, but this map isn't exactly cheese on toast; I'm expect there will be some tweaking as it matures.

The Channel map finally got me flying warbirds, though. That's a boatload of fun, too.

Flew from Folkestone to Framezelle, up the coast past Calais to Dunkirk (landed on the Dunkirk runway because there's aren't many things that can), over Dunkirk and back to Dover.

This is a seriously beautiful map. Frame rates for me are pretty descent, but I'm not entitled to an opinion about frame rates. Whoever managed the details has OCD in the best possible way. Flying over this at 300 kts and 20,000 feet should be a crime.

It would be icing on the cake to have more era-appropriate shipping available, but that's a different discussion and I imagine they've already got some plans for it.

I can make videos, but lack a good place to post them.

Try youtube, they have plenty of space. :)

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5 (still not in use)

Buzzed around Dover in the Gazelle yesterday and the detail is indeed fantastic. The map screams vehicular combat and for the first time I’m thinking about buying Combined Arms (shock horror) so I can drive around town and play hide and seek with Tigers and Panthers.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.