SAU Recovery causes pitch oscillations

panzerd18

Weird, I tried it in various attitudes, inverted, etc. and eventually it got to level flight and with a few oscillations seemed ok. I did reboot after the update, it was hanging up before I did that.

I've noticed that SAU displays oscillations at higher altitudes. If I engaged it at 1 - 5 km it managed to stabilize the flight but when I tried at 9 - 11 + km, it entered very heavy oscillations. In any event, we're looking into this.

In any case guys please provide tracks. This is going to help us a lot.

Edited by Hiromachi

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I confirm this; very wobbly, many oscilations after last patch unfortunately (all altitudes)

Also has drag been added? Plane feels much more heavy, like it "sinks" into the air more and struggles to accelerate when you have pylons loaded with UB16/32 rocket pods; or UPK pods; loaded in general actually. When i take off it really struggles to pick up some speed, i have to apply afterburner a lot longer than before.

One of my favourite modules anyway. S!

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

I've noticed that SAU displays oscillations at higher altitudes. If I engaged it at 1 - 5 km it managed to stabilize the flight but when I tried at 9 - 11 + km, it entered very heavy oscillations. In any event, we're looking into this.

In any case guys please provide tracks. This is going to help us a lot.

I'll get some tracks once I fly again, would Tacview be of any help in the meantime?

From my observations, it appears the SAU is mistiming the pitch commands in both recovery and automatic landing modes. To replicate:

Recovery: At any of the permissible SAU engagement altitude/speed ranges, establish zero acceleration and engage the SAU. Initially the aircraft remains stable, before gradually worsening a porpoise behaviour. The behaviour is more aggressive if the SAU stabilisation mode is active when recovery is pressed. From my limited observation, it does not exceed the angle of attack/airspeed limitations nor result in loss of altitude, but never actually reaches stable level flight.

Automatic landing: Intercept the glideslope and localiser, establish a stable approach with both needles aligned then engage the automatic landing mode. Just like in the recovery mode, the oscillations will begin, except these are more pronounced in the landing mode and if left unattended the aircraft will crash.

Tacview should be fine Lucas.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Cool, thanks! Here's three tracks, with the timestamps in the file name because I couldn't figure out a better way to do it. If you need more testing, let me know, I never turn down a good excuse to fly the MiG-21. The oscillations are more evident in the Tacview 'cockpit' view.

Tacview-20200609-012407-DCS-BS_AW_Basic_25m.zip.zip

Tacview-20200607-152734-DCS-BS_AA_Basic_22m_1h3m_1h11m_1h31m.zip.zip

Tacview-20200609-151815-DCS-BS_AW_Basic_1h3m.zip.zip

After 11/06/20 patch, engaging SAU recovery, establish a constant -5/-10 m/s descent rate.

It seems that the plane stabilize at 0º, not a 0 m/sg with the desired AoA.

Edit: Work perfect IF no wind or turbulence is present in the mission.

Edited by Tarres

Yes, notice the same.

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

• 1 month later...

Based on a short test in the current OB build, SAU Recovery oscillations are largely gone, however it stabilises in a -5 to -10 m/s shallow dive.

SAU Stabilisation is working very well and greatly increases control precision when active.

SAU PRMG Director mode works partially - localiser functions well, glideslope needle seemed to be stuck all the way up.

SAU PRMG Auto mode is slightly improved from the last update, with somewhat smoother corrections, but still pitches down hard more or less between the markers.

It has been reported in their mantishub.

When the airplane reaches its designed “trimmed speed” at around 700-800 TAS, the SAU Recovery and Stab recovery work as designed.

So yes, the problem is about the 0 pitch and the 0 m/s.

Edited by Tarres