Channel Map FPS Question

Ercoupe

What use is a still screen grab capture and one without FPS information?

Tells people nothing!

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

I've been having fps issues with all maps since 2.56. Channel map appears no better or worse than the rest.

I have noticed a lot of shimmer on the buildings though, turning shadows up to medium from low made it a bit better without too much of a performance hit by reducing ground clutter from max to 1200 to compensate.

I would compare present performance to Normandy before all the optimisations with that slight blurriness going on in VR and poor reprojection going on in the cockpit when moving backward and forwards in the seat.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

The map is stunning to say the least, but ED has gone over the top with this IMHO. I mean I love detailed scenery where it belongs, but this is just to a tad to much. Fully modelled backyards make cool advertisements sure, but are showstoppers even with beefy systems. Less is more in that case. Still love it very much. Keep the optimisation coming. Thank you ED. :thumbup:

Managed to capture some performance measurements in 2D, I've not tried VR yet based on how how its running so far. Buildings and trees seem to be the usuall enemy for FPS.

See video below with stutter over built up areas at 1:20 and 6:30

85803712_DCSSettings.thumb.JPG.e5821134e33a9fe530e1c3a78a3687a6.JPG

Edited by NAKE350
Settings image added

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

"What use is a still screen grab capture and one without FPS information?

Tells people nothing!"

I never think about FPS. As long as it's running smoothly I'm happy. I usually worry about heat. I have a heat monitoring app I run to watch that. I didn't even know how to check FPS! But I googled it and did an FPS check.

Flew an airfield attack so there would be a lot of things going on. P-47's all over the place, 109's trying to take off, flak, fires...etc. 29 to 36 FPS. Now that might sound great to you guys with powerful computers, but I have an old laptop with a 2 gb Nvidea card. The only upgrade I ever did on it was to add memory. I have 20 GB's. I don't know how you guys with rigs 10 times better than mine are having a problem.

Screen_200604_201642.thumb.png.70ba7295a896b954876d78065b42cd83.png

Screen_200604_201226.thumb.png.d15fb511c2d0c26a50a6471d520c94c7.png

"What use is a still screen grab capture and one without FPS information?

Tells people nothing!"

I never think about FPS. As long as it's running smoothly I'm happy. I usually worry about heat. I have a heat monitoring app I run to watch that. I didn't even know how to check FPS! But I googled it and did an FPS check.

Flew an airfield attack so there would be a lot of things going on. P-47's all over the place, 109's trying to take off, flak, fires...etc. 29 to 36 FPS. Now that might sound great to you guys with powerful computers, but I have an old laptop with a 2 gb Nvidea card. The only upgrade I ever did on it was to add memory. I have 20 GB's. I don't know how you guys with rigs 10 times better than mine are having a problem.

I'm guessing you're not flying VR or with head tracking?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

No, but that video you showed looked incredible. I doubt if I'll ever see DCS like that. About a 2000 dollar computer with about 600 dollars worth of VR equipment, I'm guessing, right?

I don't know the cost my friend as its evolved over time. It started out as a min spec VR capable (just about) machine 4 years ago and cost less than the just the graphics card in it now. Thing is that PC ran DCS 1.5 really well even in VR, but that changed when 2.5 with 'deferred shading' happened. I think we need Vulkan and some major code optimisations to happen next. :(

Anyone else noticing a insane RAM hunger of the channel map, just wanted to check cold and dark instant action (jug/mustang) and the RAM usage jumped directly to fill up my 32GB, when i start any other map it doesnt get above 18GB, resource monitor shows DCS alone taking up nearly 20GB when channel map is loaded.

just asking as everyone is concentrating on the FPS (yea they suck on channel)

dcs settings

https://ibb.co/tX5Z3Wp

tX5Z3Wp

as for system specs: 9900k,32gb3200/14cl,gtx1080/dcs on ssd and no peripherals connected for the test

Edited by fozzybear

"Turning all sliders down and having a low-res sim doesn't interest me"

Red, does it look as though I have all of my sliders turned down? And I even have shadows on and MSAA X 2. Doesn't look ugly and low res to me.

How would we know? Have you given your settings? No. Have you given FPS data? No. Have you even described your system? Not either, just some partial info later in the thread, after asking people how it runs without any point of comparison.

What can I say, good for you if you have better performance and graphics with a 7-year-old laptop. In that case, you'll probably have acceptable performance on the Channel map, who knows.

If you're asking blind questions then not believing the answers, what are you trying to achieve anyway?

Seeing your state of mind, you should just wait a few months for the map to be optimized, and the engine to evolve. Performances are just not relevant at this point, and the map content is still WIP.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Anyone else noticing a insane RAM hunger of the channel map, just wanted to check cold and dark instant action (jug/mustang) and the RAM usage jumped directly to fill up my 32GB, when i start any other map it doesnt get above 18GB, resource monitor shows DCS alone taking up nearly 20GB when channel map is loaded.

just asking as everyone is concentrating on the FPS (yea they suck on channel)

dcs settings

https://ibb.co/tX5Z3Wp

tX5Z3Wp

as for system specs: 9900k,32gb3200/14cl,gtx1080/dcs on ssd and no peripherals connected for the test

Yes, the first thing I noticed it was eating up 90% or my 32GB or RAM.

Im not seeing that on my settings, poor fps yes, but it uses 21Gb rather than 18Gb in caucuses

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I thought that Not good performance in VR - just an issue with my PC performance... But as I can see now: even 2080Ti and 9900 - are not able to make an acceptable FPS for VR...

i7-6700k (4.7 GHz) // RAM 32 Gb // GTX 1070 // // Windows 10 64-bit LTSB;

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

there are plenty of details on the Channel map.

The map is really outstanding - with all those details.. but performance is terrible..

Maybe 64 Gb RAM is an aid?

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

I confirm that even with high specced PC the VR performance is much lower compared to other maps with equivalent added assets and weather.

I reckon it is still EA and it needs to be tweaked for people to be able to enjoy it in VR. I think the map performance at current state is too low compared to the performance on other maps.

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

Seems to me it's an issue with overall the update.

I compared this beta to the stable version: FPS is lower at about 30-40%

no this map is "special" , yes the overall update cuts frames this map is way worse

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I would say, having gone and bought the bloody thing anyway (after stating i would not due to low fps at present OB state), that the FPS is identical to the normandy map and infact better in places/situations and worse in others.

It is strange as not all towns cause FPS to stall but some do.

Strangely, i usually get worse FPS in the viper than the hornet but on this map it is inverted and my prop planes love it more than normandy map.

Bizarre but really beautiful.

Gobs of SSD and 32g ram,VR and I ended up cutting the preload by 1/2 and it helped, flyable even.

However throw in some wingmen, some enemy AI and we know where that will send the fps. Like the others patience.

I bought the map because I like that part of the world and to support ED.

I don't have any warbirds so have only done one session in it with the F-18. I fly only in VR. The frame rates are very low and lots of stuttering. It seems the ground radar wasn't showing any returns either.

I'm not too concerned. The map is still early release and over time it will get optimized. It is a beautiful map though and I can see it's potential. I'm going to put it to one side for now and come back to it in 6 months when I'm sure it has been improved.

I bought the map because I like that part of the world and to support ED.

I don't have any warbirds so have only done one session in it with the F-18. I fly only in VR. The frame rates are very low and lots of stuttering. It seems the ground radar wasn't showing any returns either.

I'm not too concerned. The map is still early release and over time it will get optimized. It is a beautiful map though and I can see it's potential. I'm going to put it to one side for now and come back to it in 6 months when I'm sure it has been improved.

Like i say, the hornet's fps has dropped recently, probably due to adding AG radar as i have experienced this with the Jeff. The jeff used to lag terribly if you land without silencing the radar because of the AG component.

They will sort it all out in time.

On the other hand, i flew the spitfire furball vs doras last night and it was TREMENDOUS.

And high enough up that FPS was fine

I thought that Not good performance in VR - just an issue with my PC performance... But as I can see now: even 2080Ti and 9900 - are not able to make an acceptable FPS for VR...

That would be correct.

Gorgeous map but a bit of a pig in VR at present.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 5 months later...

Well, just spent a good part of the day tweaking sliders, turning VSYNC on and off, playing with NVIDIA settings all to no avail. Then I Googled "DCS Channel Map Low FPS" and it brought me here................*sigh* It is a beautiful map and I look forward to it being optimized, howerver for me in VR it is presently unusable. I also have a Track IR that mebbe I'll try tomorrow. I've had enough playing Junior Hacker for one day.