Zone 5 - DCS F-14 campaign with Dave 'Bio' Baranek in the making

Reflected

Dear friends,

Today I have a big announcement to make: For any Tomcat enthusiast, Dave 'Bio' Baranek needs no introduction. He entered the US Navy in 1979 and enjoyed a successful and satisfying 20-year career with 2,499.7 F-14 Tomcat flight hours and 688 carrier landings. His logbook also records 461.8 flight hours in the F-5F Tiger II. He completed the legendary Topgun training program, and later he returned as an instructor. In 1985 he had the unusual experience of flying aerial sequences used in the film "Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson. He also served as a dialogue advisor on the project, and took some of the few available photographs of the movie's black F-5 fighters in flight. He is also the author of two excellent books: "Topgun Days" and "Before Topgun Days".

A few weeks ago he kindly agreed to team up with me to work on a DCS F-14 campaign that would give DCS players a taste of air combat maneuvering training in the 1980s. With the help of XXIst century technology, we will create a digital story that enables you to experience what it's like to be up there and train with the best. We decided to call it:

"Zone 5"

This will come on top of my other F-14 campaign "Fear the Bones". For regular updates, keep an eye on my section of the forums:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=615

or my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/reflectedsimulations

PS: If you're a native US speaker and feel like helping me out with some voice overs, please shoot me a message, I'd appreciate it a lot ;)

DB-44.jpg

Screen-200529-093707.png

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1

cannot wait. i need a Tomcat Campaign badly.:thumbup:

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

NIce! Thank you for keeping it authentic by choosing the Nevada terrain. Happy this often-neglected terrain gets some love too ;)

Looking very much forward to the campaign, especially like that is focussed on simulating the training environment.

Oh, one more question: Will it also feature the -A variant, once that becomes available? Not sure, whether it will be out before your campaign is released or after..

Thanks a lot ,

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

Yes, the NTTR is the only option. We'll just say Miramar was closed temporarily for some reason.

Well they did use NAS Fallon during the 80s for some TOPGUN training so...

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Unfortunately there is no way to "simulate" or "call" shots in DCS. We'll have to use real missiles and bullets.
Too bad. Yeah, guns can't be simulated. There is a script for the missiles. I wish ED would make training rounds that don't launch visually and don't do damage but trigger actions and can be reviewed in tacview. (Laser tag!)

Oh, one more question: Will it also feature the -A variant, once that becomes available? Not sure, whether it will be out before your campaign is released or after..

Oh, c'mon! 80's, Zone 5 and Top Gun in the B?! Not gonna happen! Alpha only.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Great Balls of Fire!

If you are going to use the Nellis range, its worth reading the Red Eagles book. The Navy were regularly going up against the Red Eagles over the Nellis range.

Bio's Top Gun Days book is excellent as well of course. Wishing you best wishes on this one.

Re script, its a same there isnt one that would trigger a radio call as it passes over an aircraft at a certain range 'Guns kill on the F5' etc.

Might be worth making a request to ED on that one.

To be honest, it would be more realistic, but hey. Live missiles are more fun. I mean they had to simulate missile and gun shots but why would we simulate their simulation? You know what I mean?

Anyhow, many many triggers are missing from DCS to make it happen so the discussion is moot. It will be a lot of fun this way too I promise ;)

To be honest, it would be more realistic, but hey. Live missiles are more fun. I mean they had to simulate missile and gun shots but why would we simulate their simulation? You know what I mean?

I know what you mean, but people dive into sims for immersion and lifelike feelings, not for a reminder that it's only a game. I got an idea for a mission that we could pretend that some ac are drones and the pilots (if any) would virtually sit in a hangar somewhere. That way we kill real ac with live ammo but no pilot is harmed during the mission.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I know what you mean, but people dive into sims for immersion and lifelike feelings, not for a reminder that it's only a game. I got an idea for a mission that we could pretend that some ac are drones and the pilots (if any) would virtually sit in a hangar somewhere. That way we kill real ac with live ammo but no pilot is harmed during the mission.

I know, but the discussion is moot as it's not currently possible in DCS. I also try to make my missions as clean and simple as possible coding-wise, otherwise they would be more prone to breaking if a slightest change happens after an update - which usually does. Anyhow, like all other training campaigns planes will die here, but I'll make sure it will be worth this compromise :)