Why I am not going to be buying this beautiful map anytime soon...

Shadow KT

Hello, I was just wanted to share my view and opinion on the upcoming channel map, based on what I (We?) know so far.

I know this map is ED's WWII baby and they've put a lot of work into it, but I believe this to be a massive missed opportunity, for all parties involved.

Not combining the Channel Map with the Normandy map is a let down for me and a short term prospect. Yes I know, different locations, different levels of detail.

The Channel Map ends roughly where the Normandy map starts. If they are to be combined this would benefit all parties involved. ED will benefit from good PR (positive reputation and good marketing), more revenue and they will make their first small step to global map. The creators of the Normandy map will benefit from revenue and most importantly, the users will benefit the most out of everyone, having the opportunity to use this huge map, create heaps of scenarios and have the access to a map a lot of other games can only envy for.

In my opinion, even if they just get combined and the difference in level of detail between the two areas stays the same, people will still be happy to have them under one map.

Both Maps could still be sold separately (at their full price). If you have none of the two maps, you can buy them combined with a discount (so not full price of both together). You can have the combined map as the primary terrain, but have the option to create missions for only one of the two sections, if you want only people with a certain map to be able to play. Think of it as having sub terrain with limited size (something like the limited size of the free weekends which included PG). In the future, using joint effort both sides of the terrain can be equalized.

So for the near future, I will now be investing into this, but I will be looking forward to the P-47. Hopefully my message seems reasonable and give you food for thought. Thank you for the effort you put into DCS.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Fair enough. drinks_cheers.gif

This is why I'm buying the map the second it comes out:

- I'm a total slut for new maps.

- I prefer new maps to new planes.

- I want tasty visuals and places to see and to go. I want new airfields, new ground objects, new eye candy, and new places to put things that I will subsequently blow to shreds.

- I'm all about the mission editor and new maps are the cream in that there coffee.

- This map looks to be made to a high level of detail.

And that is why I will buy it the second it is released.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Fair enough. drinks_cheers.gif

This is why I'm buying the map the second it comes out:

- I'm a total slut for new maps.

- I prefer new maps to new planes.

- I want tasty visuals and places to see and to go. I want new airfields, new ground objects, new eye candy, and new places to put things that I will subsequently blow to shreds.

- I'm all about the mission editor and new maps are the cream in that there coffee.

- This map looks to be made to a high level of detail.

And that is why I will buy it the second it is released.

+10!:megalol:

Fair enough on the OP's point of view.

As for me, I'm a WW2 nut and this map will be a day one buy for me. The possibilities for this map is huge, including hopefully some day...DCS Battle Of Britain with all the correct period modules. When the Mosquito finally arrives there's intruder missions, in fact there's no reason why this map couldn't be used for scenarios from 1940 through to 1944 and beyond. Hopefully it will become the stable map for the WW2 servers.

My only worry at the moment is it's performance, in one of the previews (can't remember which exact one now as I've watched them all!)it was mentioned there were stutters at times. Hopefully ED will get this ironed out.

So yeah, roll on release!.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Well, you guys are in luck today it seems.

There is so much more potential to be had if both maps were together, but it is going to be missed....

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Not buying because you feel something is missing is your prerogative.

Why do you need to tell everyone that? Frankly, we're not interested in what you do or don't want, or whether or not you'll be buying anything.

If you have an observation however, the team at ED will be watching all the posts on this forum, so, minus tantrums or emotive baggage, let them know, and they will add it to their extensive research database.

Frankly though, you're going to be missing out on a very nice looking map. Your loss, and it won't change a damned thing, so why be so petty?

Why do you need to tell everyone that? Frankly, we're not interested in what you do or don't want, or whether or not you'll be buying anything.

If you have an observation however, the team at ED will be watching all the posts on this forum, so, minus tantrums or emotive baggage, let them know, and they will add it to their extensive research database.

Frankly though, you're going to be missing out on a very nice looking map. Your loss, and it won't change a damned thing, so why be so petty?

The forums are open to all - even you - and we're all just here to converse. The OP was polite and stated his case clearly. I disagreed with him in the very first response to his post and there were no flames on his part afterwards.

He wrote his post, I wrote my post, and you wrote your post. Seems fair.

Because it’s the internet where either extreme carries the same weight as the middle of the road.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I mean, you saw the title, you read the post and you wrote a response, nobody made you do that. So, if you have any issues, I would say, blame only yourself :thumbup:. If you think I broke a rule, make sure you report me

'Shadow'

I have to agree, I didn't buy the normandy map because it seemed lacking in size. THe same with this one, if it was combined i'd be far more inclined to purchase.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I mean, you saw the title, you read the post and you wrote a response, nobody made you do that. So, if you have any issues, I would say, blame only yourself :thumbup:. If you think I broke a rule, make sure you report me

If it is of any help, I've already reported your posts, as well as all the posts in this thread.

I'm just hoping to speed up the process. smile.gif

This! :thumbup:

Sadly though, these silly threads usually go on for pages upon pages for no real reason...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The forums are open to all - even you - and we're all just here to converse. The OP was polite and stated his case clearly. I disagreed with him in the very first response to his post and there were no flames on his part afterwards.

He wrote his post, I wrote my post, and you wrote your post. Seems fair.

True, we can't possibly argue with that.

I am buying some toilet paper tomorrow. :music_whistling: :music_whistling: :music_whistling:

True, we can't possibly argue with that.

I am buying some toilet paper tomorrow. :music_whistling: :music_whistling: :music_whistling:

Are your hygienic concerns covered for today?

That would seem to be an issue.

I think once I have got to the shops, I won't be buying female hygiene products. I have my reasons!

Don't assume your hygienic products' gender.

It's a brave new world. smoke.gif

In rebuttal to the statement that the Normandy and Channel maps are too small, I point out that they are very dense maps with enormous detail (down to tables and chairs outside French cafes, and detailed garden contents in the back yards of row houses in London). In addition to these intense details, both maps are historical ones (not modern), and the research needed to produce them would have been very exhaustive and time consuming - and that means, expensive.

But with detail levels as seen on these maps, are required large computer resources. The Persian Gulf map was purposely limited in size because users' PCs couldn't handle anything larger.

Finally, these WWII era maps will mostly be flown in warbirds - much slower than modern jets, so their 'small' size is less of an issue.

postscript: I just bought the Channel map and the P-47D

When I start seeing loot boxes and you can get power ups, armor and OP weapons I will start getting upset. Until then, as long as ED keeps fixen em and polishing them no matter how old, I will keep buying.

I agree. The channel map looks amazing and once again ED deserve to be commended on another fantastic release, however I only wish that ED would purchase full rights to Normandy from Ugra Media, and then merge the Channel and Normandy together for one singular and cohesive Invasion themed environment. It would be great to see assets shared between these two regions and Normandy's English coastline around Bournemouth, Portsmouth, and Brighton to finally get the attention and detail that they deserve. If they DON'T take this initiative I think many people (myself included) will simply wait for 'a competitors' expansion that is in development instead. I think the clock is ticking for ED to get their new WW2 damage model and AI implemented very soon, and if they get the weather system revamped as well it could sway the tides in their favor. Alternatively if I could trade in Normandy for some credit on The Channel I would probably do that, lol. I just can't justify doubling down cash on a similar product but to have a big divide between them.

Edited by rainey06au

I think size of the map is fine for ww2 props, question is quality of the map, optimization and content that fits into it!

If it's like Normandy was (biggerst digital purchase regret i had) than i'll skip it, 40$ for map alone is greedy, add low quality and bad optimization and it's not worth buying until it gets fixed and on 50pc sale!

The map and the level of detail is absolutely outstanding, if you don't fly warbirds like me this map is visually the best map released so far for eye candy and ideal for helos :)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist