EDGE 340 Mod

Sry if I have missed some info somewhere - but what is the story with the brakes? They are jammed full-on while on the ground and I am unable to release them. Have mapped L&R Brake pedal axis to my usual rudder pedal brake axis - no effect (usual invert try etc). Mapped those two 'Brake On' buttons (whatever they do) and no effect. Looked for a Parking Brake control option - no luck.

Mine are mapped like yours to the rudder pedals and they work fine, just with no animation. I have also verified that they are gradual and don’t have just an on/off effect.

IMO the fact that hitting the pylons makes the aircraft exploding hinders the training: if you are not skilled you will crash frequently, so you start, build your muscle memory for 30 seconds, then you crash, you respawn and in doing so you waste other 20 seconds and overall you have spent like half of the time respawning and you haven't had 2 consequent minutes to build your skills. That's why I think that I will use the invincibility cheat just for training purposes.

I’ve tried but the plane explodes anyway. I’ve opened the file of the mission with the mission editor and I’ve checked that immortality was allowed.

I’ve trained more and got a 56.21 at Abu Dhabi with no penalities but most of the times I crashed.

BTW, is there a place where the laptimes are recorded? It’ hard to read them at the end of each lap; I appreciate that having an automatic timer like that is already quite cool, though.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Hi All.

To Eldur I also had issues when first installed, or so I thought, sorted when I realised there was an Axis for the prop, now got the hotrod rocking, just need to sort my crap piloting skills now, hope this helps.

Well I mapped that in the first place before even firing up the thing.

Axis brakes work pretty well.

Unfortunately, the button assigned brake is being a bigger problem. they are still working on getting button assigned brake to have a proper effect.

Also don't forget to invert the toe brake axes. Often forgotten that is...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Is anyone else having a problem playing replays of flights using this mod? Whenever I save a flight (full flight with takeoff, routine and landing) the replay of that flight is completely random and inevitably ends up with an ugly taxiing crash into the crowd of spectators Lol

I do not have issues with replays using any other aircraft in DCS

Mine are mapped like yours to the rudder pedals and they work fine, just with no animation. I have also verified that they are gradual and don’t have just an on/off effect.

Ah well, never mind. Delete and move on.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is anyone else having a problem playing replays of flights using this mod? Whenever I save a flight (full flight with takeoff, routine and landing) the replay of that flight is completely random and inevitably ends up with an ugly taxiing crash into the crowd of spectators Lol

I do not have issues with replays using any other aircraft in DCS

You are one of the lucky ones if not experiencing problem with other aircraft replays. Unfortunately the problem is exaggerated with the Edge when DCS tries to replay control inputs and have the aircraft track properly.

Sometimes tracks from airstarts are more successful, but the most reliable tracks come from other machines that are not being flown from (A dedicated server or alternate machine logged in and only watching others).

Ah well, never mind. Delete and move on.

Well, if it is not your thing, then it is not. But if you are deleting the aircraft only because of the brakes, then you are missing out on a really fun aircraft.

Keep the speed slow and it is still very responsive to steering with the rudder. It does not take much to get it up to speed and in the air and then you do not have to worry about the brakes.

And they ARE trying to work out a solution for button activated brakes.

Well, if it is not your thing, then it is not. But if you are deleting the aircraft only because of the brakes, then you are missing out on a really fun aircraft.

Keep the speed slow and it is still very responsive to steering with the rudder. It does not take much to get it up to speed and in the air and then you do not have to worry about the brakes.

And they ARE trying to work out a solution for button activated brakes.

Cheers, will persevere I guess - just my general rule with DCS mods is that if the thing doesn't even take off, then prob easier to move along.

Will try some different combinations of this button setting, and my actual pedal brakes, but as I said the brakes are currently locked on, so no worries 'keeping it slow' - stationary work? lol

Got a fair bit of time in the Red Bull Air Race sim from the Oculus store so will be interesting to compare. Haven't tried the air start after my first attempt with the aircraft that just led to uncontrollable porpoising into the ground with no effect from flight controls...she has been a rocky introduction lol.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This aircraft totally rocks :)

Awesome colourful skin and flies so nicely.

Thank you so much for this mod, it instantly earned a proud spot in my DCS install next to A4, MB-339, MiG-23UB, Grinelly F-22, and Alphajet (in no particular order).

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"

Cheers, will persevere I guess - just my general rule with DCS mods is that if the thing doesn't even take off, then prob easier to move along.

Will try some different combinations of this button setting, and my actual pedal brakes, but as I said the brakes are currently locked on, so no worries 'keeping it slow' - stationary work? lol

Got a fair bit of time in the Red Bull Air Race sim from the Oculus store so will be interesting to compare. Haven't tried the air start after my first attempt with the aircraft that just led to uncontrollable porpoising into the ground with no effect from flight controls...she has been a rocky introduction lol.

If you have Axis toe brakes and they are starting out locked, be sure to invert the axis from however it is set(not all toe brakes need inversion, depends on the brand). I also recommend turning on the Slider function and you can set a bit of curve (usually negative curve) to improve the initial feel. That being said, I went without that curve and my Saitek toe brakes work great on the Edge.

Button braking in the edge, yeah, that takes some work right now unfortunately

To help with the initial spawn in control issue, there are couple techniques that can help. First, spawn in on a cold start to get initial load graphics out of the way on your first time from DCS start. Once that load is in place, successive loads should be instant and you can react with the controls sooner.

Another way, but this is personal choice as it affects all of DCS is in the MISC option, there is an option for it to read your HOTAS on startup. I use this and do not experience the problem of the Edge trying to use my last known inputs. This will affect hotas switches that are different between cold start and air start aircraft, so something to be aware of and deal with.

The team is aware of the issue and working on a solution for that as well.

Edited by Shahdoh

Apart from that, in the cockpit, even at full power, the engine spits and splutters like in idle, just at a higher pitch... where is that "vroom" sound that can be heard in the trailer and GR video? It's there in the sound files, but I don't actually hear it in the sim twi-notbad.png

Still having this... even tried a reinstall. Anyone?

BTW: No FFB, totally limp stick. Anything planned here?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Other aircraft mods have been found to interfere with the 540 sounds. In particular, the F22 mod, (which I understand is now dead and should be deleted anyways, per the developer) and maybe even the Mb339, though more testing may be required for that one.

So, IF you have other A/C mods, temp remove them and see if this fixes the 540, then readd the other a/c 1 at a time to see which one is the problem.

Didn't think of that TBH even though the A-4E-C just recently caused problems with the AN-M65 on the Jug as well facehoof.png

Got the Grinnelli F-22 (which I just was about to try out as well as the Su-57) in there and the MB339 as well. Coming to think of it, I'd be under the impression the Grinnelli F-22 would be compatible with the Edge 540 after all since Grinnelli is part of the team... or is that someone else with the same name? rainbowdashwink.png

Actually I wonder why these problems do happen... I remember the MB339 initially replacing some gear sounds which had an effect on the Hornet and others since those files were in the general Sound folder structure... but with these now everything is in their own subfolders and yet they still interfere each other.

Edit: Did a quick check. Switching off the F-22 in the module manager fixed it. MB339 apparently doesn't cause problems, at least none that would come right at your face.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Grinnelli did indeed create the F22 and also is no longer supporting it. It is a dead project for now as all his focus is on the Edge 540.

The F22 was done the wrong way. The Edge is done the right way and can expect more projects along those lines to follow suit.

I have a problem with looking ahead in the cockpit (black display), what is the solution?

This is a rare bug that has cropped up for a couple people. Unfortunately, we have not been able to nail down the cause. Please, PM me the DCS.log and the specs of your computer and we can dig into it further.

VIDEO: First Flight / First impressions

I just came across this thread yesterday. A huge THANK YOU to the developers for all the hard work and for sharing this outstanding module with the rest of us. The video below is from my first flight, so please don't judge too harshly... :) I've tried to share my impressions of the flight model with pop-ups throughout the video. I hope the developers find my input useful. Hopefully, I'll be able to put in some more flights over the next few days and report back once I know a bit more about the flight characteristics.

Hello,

I'll share with you a little idea for training and having fun that I've made up this evening; probably something like this already exists in real life.

Basically, if you turn on the smoke and then make a continuous tight turn while gaining altitude, you can make a screw thread-like shape in the air: see the attachment.

In order to have a constant pitch for this thread, you can climb a certain amount for every revolution of the compass, or you can watch a vertical velocity indicator, if there is one.

To keep the radius constant, you could keep the speed and the G load constant, but what happened to me in the picture was that probably I just kept the acceleration constatn and bled speed, reducing the radius of turn; plus, the indicated speed is the air speed, I guess, so it's not supposed to be reliable as you climb; you can cheat by showing the data bar in the bottom of the screen, though.

I tried to draw some letters in the air but the smoke vanishes too quickly for that. There should be a writing team to do so‼

screw.thumb.jpg.a97676791d3f258419f76e1291813db6.jpg

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I have a problem with looking ahead in the cockpit (black display), what is the solution?

This may be a part of a deep immersion simulating Stevie Wander flying Edge 540...

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"

• 6 months later...