DCS: F/A-18C Features Roadmap for Early Access

Kate Perederko

2 hours ago, Weasel said:

Is the hornet still in early access? Thought they take it out of early access with the release of DCS 2.7

I think so as some of the roadmap stuff is still missing or unfinished. Usually things take a lot longer than originally planned in DCS.

Hello, i would like to know if those features are still planned for our hornet :

-Terrain avoidance radar mode
-MSI 
-More failures available in ME

TA: yes
MSI: yes
Just a few days ago ED moved the thread of missing MSI functions from "wishlist" to "reported" bugs. Looks like an MSI rework might be coming soon, it really is needed.

Mobius708

Thanks for your answer, didnt found any mention about terrain avoidance and MSI on this roadmap
Great news, should i put my last point in the wishlist section?

-More failures available in ME
You can if you want, but it's definitely the lowest of priorities.

Mobius708

The FM is still a WIP and listed in the roadmap. 

As of right now, what is the current state of the FM?  What needs to be corrected/adjusted?  There are plenty of forum discussions regarding turn rate and acceleration/drag, but it's difficult to figure out where the DCS Hornet currently is compared to real life performance with all the conflicting opinions and reports.

• Like 1

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

The FM is still a WIP and listed in the roadmap. 

As of right now, what is the current state of the FM?  What needs to be corrected/adjusted?  There are plenty of forum discussions regarding turn rate and acceleration/drag, but it's difficult to figure out where the DCS Hornet currently is compared to real life performance with all the conflicting opinions and reports.
According to SMEs the Hornet is still too slow and slow to accelerate. It appears the nozzles scheduling is off with trans-throttle movements, though it is not clear yet if there is a resulting loss of thrust. Then of course drag needs tweaking.

Mobius708

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

You just linked to the guy the post were typing comments in

When i postes it was a desperate thread that was merged with this one after my post. 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:29 PM, Hulkbust44 said:

According to SMEs the Hornet is still too slow and slow to accelerate. It appears the nozzles scheduling is off with trans-throttle movements, though it is not clear yet if there is a resulting loss of thrust. Then of course drag needs tweaking.

Mobius708

Roger that and thank you for the confirmation...it is what I have read as well and seems to be the most valid assessment considering the source in addition to what I have read in various other forums and documents.

Hopefully we see the new FM soon!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kate Perederko said:

Dear Hornet Pilots,

Thank you for your participation in our F/A-18C Hornet Roadmap features poll. 3000 responses were received and thank you for your valuable feedback and participation. The chart below illustrates your priorities. In summary:

1. Flight model update
  2. AG radar and all its features
  3. Datalink symbols, EW symbols, and AG mode for JHMCS
  4. ATFLIR
  5. Aircraft Setup Card in Options, Mission Card for 60 waypoints and MUMI page
  6. ASPJ ECM jammer
  7. Azimuth / Elevation air-to-air radar mode with AUTO IFF modes
  8. LOFT modes, ARM, JPF, and other JDAM and JSOW remaining functions
  9. Mark points
  10. SLAM-ER air-to-surface missile

DCS-Hornet-votes.png

We have reconsidered our plans in accordance with your priorities, and adjusted our planning based on this and our capabilities and available development time.

The final list of features that are planned to be delivered in 2020 for DCS: F/A-18C Hornet:

• Completion of the Litening Targeting Pod [completed]
  • Dynamic launch zones and AUTO LOFT mode for JDAM [completed]
  • AG radar: Real Beam Ground Map (MAP) [completed]
  • SLAM air-to-surface missile [completed]
  • Update flight model for ground effect, takeoff pitch effects, auto-pilot based on FPM, touch and go handling, and other remaining flight model issues [WIP]
  • AG radar. EXP modes (1-2-3), GMT and GMTT modes, and SEA search mode[completed]
  • Datalink symbols, EW symbols, and AG mode for JHMCS [completed]
  • AG radar. AGR (air to ground ranging) mode[completed]
  • AG radar interleaved mode (SEA and GMT) [completed]
  • ATFLIR [WIP 2.7.0]
  • ASPJ ECM jammer [completed]
  • Azimuth / Elevation air-to-air radar mode with AUTO IFF modes[completed]
  • LOFT modes, ARM, JPF, and other JDAM and JSOW remaining functions[WIP]
  • Mark points [completed]
  • SLAM-ER air-to-surface missile [WIP]
  • INS / GPS full simulation and alignment (carrier and ground) [WIP]
  • Harpoon, SEA radar directed mode (FTT) [completed]
  • S/A and AUTO countermeasure modes [completed]
  • Flight member TGT ground target SA page symbol missing [completed]
  • HARM Pre-Briefed mode [WIP 2.7.0]
  • Correct possible flare number loaded
  • GBU-24 Paveway III LGB [WIP]
  • Adjust countermeasure programs when on ground [completed]
  • GBU-32 JDAM [completed]
  • IN LAR cue is missing [completed]
  • UFC BU page
  • Select AA and AG on ground [WIP 2.7.0]
  • Fuel BIT (FLBIT) Page [completed]
  • AIM-7P
  • BDU-45 Training Bomb [completed]

The list is long, and the schedule is tight, but we make this our goal.

Coming later 2021 we plan to add:

• New and updated HOTAS functions
  • Radar SPOT mode [WIP 2.7.0]
  • Jamming targets not displayed on radar, should be in dugout [completed]
  • RWS RAID air-to-air radar sub-mode missing [WIP]
  • The missing function of WIDE radar auto acquisition mode, cannot slew it [WIP 2.7.0]
  • ACLS mode
  • Coupled autopilot modes [WIP 2.7.0]
  • Offset waypoints [WIP]
  • TALD decoy
  • Mk-77 firebomb
  • GEN-X decoy
  • Gun sparks at night

We have one encompassing feature that requires cooperation between the F/A-18C and F-16C Team, the DCS Core Team, and 3rd Party Developers: create a shared planning environment and agree on a single strategy to support mission planning for many aircraft types. This includes an Aircraft Setup Card in Options and a Mission Planning Card for waypoints with properties (Sequences, Target Points, Pre-Planned Targets, Pre-Briefed Targets, Initial Points, Bullseyes, etc.) and MUMI and similar pages. This is a complex task that we have been designing, and we will be working with all participants to create the best Aircraft Setup and Mission Planner possible.

Sincerely,

The Eagle Dynamics Team

@BIGNEWYThis was posted over a year ago.  Is there any chance we could get an updated one to see where the Hornet currently stands in regards to completion?  Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, KIllshot0597 said:

@DonutIt is being updated, look it has the most recent additions as "WIP" or "WIP 2.7"

That was with the release of 2.7 several months ago. Up until now it is fairly unclear as to when the Hornet will leave EA and when even to expect the #1 most requested features which is the FCS and FM updates - as they already started to move people over to the Viper...

Edited by Skysurfer
  • Like 3

So, first of all, thanks and congrats ED for what you've achieved in your DCS hornet, amazing module, the most realistic simulation of a modern 4th generation fighter up to date.

Putting this beforehand, I was curious the other day thinking what else might be missing feature wise. So I've checked what is oficially missing from the 2020 and beyond roadmap, and added some features I'm still missing:

Official ED list:

• LOFT modes, ARM, JPF, and other JDAM and JSOW remaining functions[WIP]
  • INS / GPS full simulation and alignment (carrier and ground) [WIP]
  • GBU-24 Paveway III LGB [WIP] -> is this a mistake? I thought we had it already
  • ACLS mode [WIP]
  • TALD decoy
  • Mk-77 firebomb
  • GEN-X decoy
  • Gun sparks at night

Other features I'm missing:

• Data cardridge for storing mission related data (mission plan, CMS settings...) -> transversal to other planes I guess...
  • Additional MSI /Radar integration (being able to select link16 tracks to show information in the system; with no radar lock)

General bugs or improvements:

• Revisit to the Air to air radar to polish some remaining bugs or inconsistencies (TWS track logic, ACM modes....)

What else am I missing? Can ED confirm that all those items will be worked on and will arrive at some point?

Thanks!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd also add a few items that are marked as completed, but are not and some absent items.

Dynamic Launch Zones: we're missing the IZLAR adjusting for terminal parameters and IZLAR functions related to PP deliveries with QTY selected (common IZLAR, ghost IZLAR for the PP of the selected station). LP integration is also missing.

MSI: proper fusion of RDR ATTK, AZ/EL and SA, with MSI tracks showing in all of them, with the same attributes. Ability to set L&S from either.

A/A Radar: bump acquisition logic, correct interaction with the ASPJ (RDR/JMR option), fixes regarding HPRF detection distance, correct memory logic, correct rank logic (although that's part of MSI), faster TDC slew speed. TWS AUTO centroid tracking (similar to the F-14), ability to maintain MSI tracks in STT from RWS/TWS/VS and designate them as the L&S. Correct RESET logic for our version. Actual WIDE/AUTO speed gate option, which now doesn't do anything.

A/G Radar: azimuth stabilized bricks, correct NAV designation logic, TA mode, grayscale bar at the top, for help with adjusting gain, brightness and contrast. NAVMP mode.

ALR-67(V)2: correct threat ring logic. There is a good amount of discussions and evidence for that subject.

There's more to add.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I also think that the currently not functional DDI pages should also be included eventually, otherwise it would have been a complete waste to implement them at all to begin with, such as the MIDS page, the BIT page and the TGT DATA page. There are also a lot of smaller miscellaneous items that would greatly increase the fidelity and immersion of the Hornet, and quite a few smaller but very useful features. (All of these have been posted on the wishlist  section on their own, so I think it's fair to collect them) I'll list all the features that I can think of for a consumer level product, but obviously I don't expect ED to model these and which ones they should prioritize out of these is up for heavy debates. 

-The missing HSI functions. We know that they won't fix the incorrect HSI layout nor will the implement the proper TAMMAC functionality, but having the HSI slew mode and slew mode waypoint creation, as well as the GPS page with GPS waypoints would be very useful.

-The missing UFC options for the A/C data subpage on the HSI that shows wind data and magvar, which would be fairly useful.

-The M4 OK advisory with the associated Betty voice alert would serve a practical purpose. Speaking of which, obviously they need to finish the IFF functions that are kind of implemented but they don't really do anything. Hopefully with the realistic ATC, they can also do a game wide IFF overhaul where the settings you can adjust in the Hornet would have tangible consequences. (With the ability to zeroize the keys and stop responding to M4 for example) Same goes for the emergency transponder switch.

-The ability to colonize the CPHR option on the UFC and change between CPHR and CPDP. Easy to implement visual change that could provide practical functionality with SRS.

-The weapon release tone function.

-Winds data on the stores page.

-EMCON and Quick Look functionality and the associated HOTAS functions.

-The missing HOTAS functions should be added.

-TBST option for the Maverick, which would allow us to reslew after slaving to a designation. (This one is kind of up in the air, may not apply to our specific Lot, but I'll list it anyway.)

-Link 4 support and the ability to share data with the Tomcats on the datalink.

-Environmental effects on the airframe and the associated ECS features, such as canopy/windshield icing and freezing, fog and smoke in the cockpit, the effect of improper temperature on the pilot. (Would tie in well with the upcoming weather system)

-Fully simulated degraded control modes such as DEL and mech.

-The missing radar modes. (TA, PVU may get implemented one day, VS is unfortunately confirmed not to come)

-Properly working INS update options.

-Properly functioning fuzing options and all the associated weaponeering controls, such as JPF for JDAM, delayed fuze, the ability to adjust burst height for cluster bombs, terminal parameters for all the IAMs, etc.

-FD bombing mode.

-The imcomplete and missing functions on the ATFLIR setup page mainly and the ability to slave the seeker to the HMD LOS.

-MUMI page interaction with the DTC.

-UFC backup.

-The missing cautions and advisories.

-HMD alignment.

-Proper simulation of the sidewinder coolant and its quantity.

-Maverick alignment.

-MDATA subpage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The first post of the other post has none update by Kate, meanwhile, TALD, Mk-77 firebomb and GEN-X decoy can require first ED build funtionality on the core to implement them, the same with the "disapear" naval mines.

Not sure if F/A-18C has Link-4 ability....

Edited by Silver_Dragon

2 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

I also think that the currently not functional DDI pages should also be included eventually, otherwise it would have been a complete waste to implement them at all to begin with, such as the MIDS page, the BIT page and the TGT DATA page. There are also a lot of smaller miscellaneous items that would greatly increase the fidelity and immersion of the Hornet, and quite a few smaller but very useful features. (All of these have been posted on the wishlist  section on their own, so I think it's fair to collect them) I'll list all the features that I can think of for a consumer level product, but obviously I don't expect ED to model these and which ones they should prioritize out of these is up for heavy debates. 

-The missing HSI functions. We know that they won't fix the incorrect HSI layout nor will the implement the proper TAMMAC functionality, but having the HSI slew mode and slew mode waypoint creation, as well as the GPS page with GPS waypoints would be very useful.

-The missing UFC options for the A/C data subpage on the HSI that shows wind data and magvar, which would be fairly useful.

-The M4 OK advisory with the associated Betty voice alert would serve a practical purpose. Speaking of which, obviously they need to finish the IFF functions that are kind of implemented but they don't really do anything. Hopefully with the realistic ATC, they can also do a game wide IFF overhaul where the settings you can adjust in the Hornet would have tangible consequences. (With the ability to zeroize the keys and stop responding to M4 for example) Same goes for the emergency transponder switch.

-The ability to colonize the CPHR option on the UFC and change between CPHR and CPDP. Easy to implement visual change that could provide practical functionality with SRS.

-The weapon release tone function.

-Winds data on the stores page.

-EMCON and Quick Look functionality and the associated HOTAS functions.

-The missing HOTAS functions should be added.

-TBST option for the Maverick, which would allow us to reslew after slaving to a designation. (This one is kind of up in the air, may not apply to our specific Lot, but I'll list it anyway.)

-Link 4 support and the ability to share data with the Tomcats on the datalink.

-Environmental effects on the airframe and the associated ECS features, such as canopy/windshield icing and freezing, fog and smoke in the cockpit, the effect of improper temperature on the pilot. (Would tie in well with the upcoming weather system)

-Fully simulated degraded control modes such as DEL and mech.

-The missing radar modes. (TA, PVU may get implemented one day, VS is unfortunately confirmed not to come)

-Properly working INS update options.

-Properly functioning fuzing options and all the associated weaponeering controls, such as JPF for JDAM, delayed fuze, the ability to adjust burst height for cluster bombs, terminal parameters for all the IAMs, etc.

-FD bombing mode.

-The imcomplete and missing functions on the ATFLIR setup page mainly and the ability to slave the seeker to the HMD LOS.

-MUMI page interaction with the DTC.

-UFC backup.

-The missing cautions and advisories.

-HMD alignment.

-Proper simulation of the sidewinder coolant and its quantity.

-Maverick alignment.

-MDATA subpage.

Excellent post and +1 to everything mentioned. 

I'll add in a request for a much needed clean up of the BIT main page. INS cautions that don't clear on a hot start, MIDs that never clears even when fully operational, likewise IFF etc. Needs a good debug.

AIM-7P was mentioned as coming at one point.... White thermal coatings for Navy munitions?

Some of those smaller items would be, I imagine, relatively easy to add for little extra overall manhours to the project. The Hornet deserves it.

Edited by AvroLanc

Dont forget EMCON and its HOTAS logic.

Edit: WobblyFlops already mentioned this.

2 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

-UFC backup.

IIRC, ED said that they wont do this one.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580