DCS: F/A-18C Features Roadmap for Early Access

Kate Perederko

• ED Team

I have deleted the disrespectful posts to other users and us. If you want to post treat everyone with respect, including us.

Patch status posts is here for the next patch date https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...4-patch-status

Hornet mini updates are here https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...-updates/page7

We will also share news in the newsletter if we have some.

When we have news to share and features to release we will update these posts, its that simple.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY
  • Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

WOW! Just watched Wag's November OB update video for the Hornet. It's easy to take this sim for granted... but the Hornet is absolutely unbelievable as is and it is getting better and better! Well done, team.

• Like 3

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

It's really great to see what's going on with the FA-18C right now. Together with the supercarrier, it is increasingly becoming my favorite module. I hope that DCS will update the manual with the new features as soon as possible. Then all the other modules are initially of no interest to me. Keep it up!

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Very good update indeed! However, I'd really like to see this "Update flight model for ground effect, takeoff pitch effects, auto-pilot based on FPM, touch and go handling, and other remaining flight model issues" being adressed and fixed for the next and probably last major update this year. The ground effect fix is nice but the go-around pitching moment, and flap induced pitching moment are still fairly significant.

• Like 1

Very good update indeed! However, I'd really like to see this "Update flight model for ground effect, takeoff pitch effects, auto-pilot based on FPM, touch and go handling, and other remaining flight model issues" being adressed and fixed for the next and probably last major update this year. The ground effect fix is nice but the go-around pitching moment, and flap induced pitching moment are still fairly significant.

And most notably the Ground Effect at slow speeds is still reversed, so you will still see the AOA dumping out just before landing as the nose is sucked into the deck.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

And most notably the Ground Effect at slow speeds is still reversed, so you will still see the AOA dumping out just before landing as the nose is sucked into the deck.

That's the FCS magic. Watch real life landings and you'll see that exact same behavior.

Stay safe

That's the FCS magic. Watch real life landings and you'll see that exact same behavior.

It's DCS magic. It's not common practice for USN/USMC pilots but you should be able to hold the nose up for few seconds... if you wanted to.

It reminds me of F15's from early Lockon days. We used to land them the Hornet way. There was no way to flare the nose for more then a second. It was pulled down to the runway like there was some sort of 'landing script' running.

Nowadays, the DCS Eagle is a different story. I flew it today just to check up on it. When landing I was able to hold the nose up till 98 knots, with the speedbrake fully extended. Actually, I did see couple of Rhinos not that long ago landing with flare. Well, the nose was up about half the the Eagle's attitude but still.

It's DCS magic. It's not common practice for USN/USMC pilots but you should be able to hold the nose up for few seconds... if you wanted to.

It reminds me of F15's from early Lockon days. We used to land them the Hornet way. There was no way to flare the nose for more then a second. It was pulled down to the runway like there was some sort of 'landing script' running.

Nowadays, the DCS Eagle is a different story. I flew it today just to check up on it. When landing I was able to hold the nose up till 98 knots, with the speedbrake fully extended. Actually, I did see couple of Rhinos not that long ago landing with flare. Well, the nose was up about half the the Eagle's attitude but still.

Its not common practice but it should be totally possible. Spanish air force hornet flares the nose quite a lot to increase operational hours on the airframes.

Its true though that they are always land based, and are f18A with indigenous FCS and other OFP changes developed by Spanish CLAEX (kind of a weapons research center).

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

I think you misunderstand me. What I'm describing definitely does not happen IRL

Watch the end of this video to see the correct behaviour (E bracket stays pinned to the VVI until MLG touchdown)

And see here for how it is in DCS, note the E bracket starts to rise before the MLG TD:

The E bracket shooting up like that is an indication that the AOA is rapidly reducing, which in this case is caused by the nose of the jet being sucked into the ground. aka the reverse ground effect.

I think you misunderstand me. What I'm describing definitely does not happen IRL

Watch the end of this video to see the correct behaviour (E bracket stays pinned to the VVI until MLG touchdown)

And see here for how it is in DCS, note the E bracket starts to rise before the MLG TD:

The E bracket shooting up like that is an indication that the AOA is rapidly reducing, which in this case is caused by the nose of the jet being sucked into the ground. aka the reverse ground effect.

Sorry I don't see it. What are we supposed to see in that video that doesn't happen in DCS?

Stay safe

The other thing that doesn't happen IRL, and I really wish DCS could fix this, is my wife suddenly deciding something has to be done right now when I'm on short final, or in the middle of the groove, or trying to reverse a bandit, or...

I tried doing an F-16 landing in the F-18 (thumb got tired holding the speed brake out). Went level 13 feet over the runway weighing just under 32,000. Finally touched down at 10.1 AOA doing 118 knots with a VV of -180, full back on the stick but the nose dropped like a rock and hit at 115 knots. Not convinced aero-braking is much of a thing in the hornet, not to mention the planing link which probably isn't modeled.

• Like 1

The other thing that doesn't happen IRL, and I really wish DCS could fix this, is my wife suddenly deciding something has to be done right now when I'm on short final, or in the middle of the groove, or trying to reverse a bandit, or...

I tried doing an F-16 landing in the F-18 (thumb got tired holding the speed brake out). Went level 13 feet over the runway weighing just under 32,000. Finally touched down at 10.1 AOA doing 118 knots with a VV of -180, full back on the stick but the nose dropped like a rock and hit at 115 knots. Not convinced aero-braking is much of a thing in the hornet, not to mention the planing link which probably isn't modeled.

Not sure what you mean with the speedbrake there, but carrying on. Aerobraking in hornet is restricted for the risk of the stabs hitting the ground, its allowed on rhino however. The planing link thing btw, is a DCSism. That's not a thing that's talked about IRL (as I've been told).

Not sure what you mean with the speedbrake there, but carrying on. Aerobraking in hornet is restricted for the risk of the stabs hitting the ground, its allowed on rhino however. The planing link thing btw, is a DCSism. That's not a thing that's talked about IRL (as I've been told).

This poor guy did his master's thesis on it: https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=utk_gradthes`

Mover once said in passing you don't want to feather an F-18 too lightly or you run the risk of failure. My knowledge is asymptotic to zero, so take all this for what it's worth.

This poor guy did his master's thesis on it: https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=utk_gradthes`

Mover once said in passing you don't want to feather an F-18 too lightly or you run the risk of failure. My knowledge is asymptotic to zero, so take all this for what it's worth.

In this game of Pilot-emon, mine says otherwise. Anyway, the thesis you linked is about planing link failures in general, which I'm not denying happen. I'm speaking specifically about planing link failure caused by reduced descent rate landings. Even in the thesis linked it says:

'Although multiple theories exist on the cause of the PMA failures, the exact chain of events is still unconfirmed at this time and a specific cause can’t be identified.'

So it would seem the cause is unclear, I have just been told that they aren't taught that flared landings will cause this failure.

<snip>

I'm speaking specifically about planing link failure caused by reduced descent rate landings. Even in the thesis linked it says:

<snip>

I have just been told that they aren't taught that flared landings will cause this failure.

You may very well be correct, enough so I'll stop suggesting otherwise without more data to support the idea (besides, I like greased landings. Thudding into the ground is really bad for your neck! :thumbup: ). Hopefully DCS never gets to a point where they model this stuff; far too many, more important projects.

Sheep.

• 1 month later...

Seeing as we're close to the end of 2020, I think the community would appreciate an update of the features that are still planned to be delivered before the end of the year. With the exception of the SLAM-ER being moved to January, to what extent is the rest of the 2020 list still valid?

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

29 minutes ago, Harker said:

Seeing as we're close to the end of 2020, I think the community would appreciate an update of the features that are still planned to be delivered before the end of the year. With the exception of the SLAM-ER being moved to January, to what extent is the rest of the 2020 list still valid?

Yeah, I'd like that as well.

Maybe goals are not going to be made but an update will provide ease to the community.

Edited by Joni
dumb post

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5