CV Deck Operations

timber29

Good Morning ED!

I would first like to say fine job on the Supercarrier! I have a few observations from my years working as a yellow shirt (director) on the deck.

The Shooter: Typically when the shooter is on deck the launch bubbles are down for the cats. When the shooters are not on deck they reside in the bubbles during bad weather and if they don't need to freeze their parts off :D. In that case the yellow shirt will give full power signal and pass off to the bubble with a thumbs up and hold it until the aircraft is launched.

There are also certain hatches open on the deck regardless between the cats and folks man certain positions on the catwalks.

The Directors: So if you want to add another level of realism the deck is divided up into three areas Fly 1, 2, 3 and the yellow shirts typically stay and work in their areas. Fly 1 is Cats 1-2, Fly 2 is Cats 3-4 and Fly 3 is the back end. Sometimes you get some guys working Fly 3 working on Cat 4 to spread the love of launching.

The arresting gear cable guy. So there is a guy that uses a bar when the cable is retracting on the island side that pushes the cable back into the landing area so it doesn't whip out past the foul line on retraction. It would be cool to have him come out and stand next to the foul line when someone is on approach. Since the Cat 3/4 guys scurry away.

Just a few bits of observations and just throwing some ideas out. I would also love one day to see the Tilly! :-)

Good Morning ED!

I would first like to say fine job on the Supercarrier! I have a few observations from my years working as a yellow shirt (director) on the deck.

The Shooter: Typically when the shooter is on deck the launch bubbles are down for the cats. When the shooters are not on deck they reside in the bubbles during bad weather and if they don't need to freeze their parts off :D. In that case the yellow shirt will give full power signal and pass off to the bubble with a thumbs up and hold it until the aircraft is launched.

There are also certain hatches open on the deck regardless between the cats and folks man certain positions on the catwalks.

The Directors: So if you want to add another level of realism the deck is divided up into three areas Fly 1, 2, 3 and the yellow shirts typically stay and work in their areas. Fly 1 is Cats 1-2, Fly 2 is Cats 3-4 and Fly 3 is the back end. Sometimes you get some guys working Fly 3 working on Cat 4 to spread the love of launching.

The arresting gear cable guy. So there is a guy that uses a bar when the cable is retracting on the island side that pushes the cable back into the landing area so it doesn't whip out past the foul line on retraction. It would be cool to have him come out and stand next to the foul line when someone is on approach. Since the Cat 3/4 guys scurry away.

Just a few bits of observations and just throwing some ideas out. I would also love one day to see the Tilly! :-)

Wouldn't it be wild to see Fast Eddie on CAT 3 during recovery?

Former Yellow shirt as well...

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!