My fist impression of Super Taurus Throttle

Supmua

What is there to adjust? Mine came with a couple of extra sets of springs. I don't know if the springs are stronger or weaker than what is installed. But I didn't see any extra cams to try.

I said "adjust" the cams....only received 2 extra sets of springs.

If you look on youtube you'll see how you can adjust the cams

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I watched the video. Without changing the cam profile, I don't see how an adjustment is going to change what I am feeling. The design has two cams for the same axis, similar to the Warthog. What I hear and feel is the transition from one cam to the other. Adjustments may be able to reduce that effect, but it can't eliminate it. Softer springs may improve the feel, but are the extra springs provided softer or harder than the installed springs.

VKB has a single continuous profile. So the only thing you feel or hear on the VKB design is a product of the cam profile. The spring hardness does affect the feel. Double #50's actually killed one of my bearings (apparently the most that is permitted is double #40s), but it also made even the smooth center feel more like a hard detent. After comparing the feel of double #40s to single #50s, I have stayed with the single #50s, which have enough force to pull heavy TM grips back to perfect center even with the 20 cm extension yet provide the smooth almost undetectable centering detent.

If I could get the Winwing to feel that nice, I would be much more likely to keep it in use, but there is the issue of the grips. I have two VKB bases that work perfectly and at least 6 compatible grips. In the time that I have been using the Winwing, I miss using the F-14 and MCG Pro grips, which are the ones I tend to use the most. Having the Warthog adapter for the Winwing will be nice, but that only gives me the A-10/F-16 grip, which is the one I use the least.

I still want to see how well I can tune the Winwing, but its service time will end after I make an adapter plate for the VKB to use the desk clamp or make a new wheeled base for the stick/chair to replace the one that is being returned to F-4 Phantom stick duty.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love my throttle, it is of the highest build quality I’ve seen from a HOTAS. Cannot recommend this product enough to people.

I concur. The throttle would be hard to beat without expensive milspec replication. I still find the Warthog throttle to be good, but the Winwing implementation that assigns a button input to every switch position makes button mapping in DCS World much easier... I rarely need to edit LUA files to get the in-game switches to behave correctly with the available stock input mappings. The key word is "rarely". I still have to use LUA edits to get things to work the way I want on a couple of aircraft. But that is inconsequential, because I still maintain all the LUA edits the Warthog throttle requires after every patch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I took apart my Winwing stick today. Based on the youtube video I watched, the cams appeared to adjusted perfectly from the factory. So I didn't mess with their set screws at all. What I could see while moving the stick was the clunk sound and feeling I get is the cams' set screws banging on the stop. This is a design feature. It can't be eliminated. But I swapped in the softest springs provided (#4). This makes the stick feel a lot more like my VKB and it reduces the clunk sound a little and the clunk feel a lot. But I still feel it. So if I call call the VKB a 10 and the Warthog a 5, with the hard springs, the sound/smoothness of the Winwing was about a 7 or 8. With the weak springs, I would call it a 9. But of course this comes at the loss of the feel of the strong springs. But the feel is fairly close to my preferred VKB single #50 per axis, so I don't score it as a loss. I would still take the VKB over the Winwing, but the gap is very small. Other features like the very nice F/A-18 grip, desk clamp, and variable height extension might make the Winwing a better choice for many people.

After flying with the Winwing Hornet grip for so many days, I will miss it whenever I use the TM Hornet grip with the VKB. I love the extra buttons/hats and the overall feel of the grip, including the material/texture, which feels even better to me than the TM Hornet. I would love it if I could adapt the Winwing grip to the VKB Gunfighter base.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the WinWing's friction lever is used for zoom, how does it affect the actual throttle friction when moving it?

Also at maximum zoom the throttle is easily movable.

The problem is that at minimum travel the throttle moves too easily...and at medium (where usually you would have it) also is too easy to move.

However there are two rotary axis on the panel that can be used for zoom should you wish

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

If the WinWing's friction lever is used for zoom, how does it affect the actual throttle friction when moving it?

You can also limit the range of operation via axis tuning. I use joystick gremlin to limit zoom operation between 30 and 60% of lever position, I believe you can also do this via DCS setting. At max friction it is kinda tough to do fine maneuvers such as AAR since it makes the throttle more sticky.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Thank you for the info! Is there a way to prevent friction lever from friction adjustment?

Also, are any of the button on the throttle grip are "Positional" - i.e. they stay in place similar to F-16's DGFT switch? I am wondering which would be the best candidate for that.

You can also limit the range of operation via axis tuning. I use joystick gremlin to limit zoom operation between 30 and 60% of lever position, I believe you can also do this via DCS setting. At max friction it is kinda tough to do fine maneuvers such as AAR since it makes the throttle more sticky.

My fist impression of Super Taurus Throttle

Thank you for the info! Is there a way to prevent friction lever from friction adjustment?

Also, are any of the button on the throttle grip are "Positional" - i.e. they stay in place similar to F-16's DGFT switch? I am wondering which would be the best candidate for that.

You can adjust the friction tension on the side of the base. I suppose at minimum setting there would be no friction all across the board, but some people might not like the feel of it.

All the hat switches on the grip are 5-way so you can bind a lot of things there. I don’t fly the F-16 much other than testing Realsim grip and base functionality, since it is quite incomplete, but currently use dispense aft switch for DGFT. If you really like the F-16 then a replica throttle (Thrustmaster Cougar or upcoming offering from Realsim or perhaps Winwing) would be better.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yeah, I'm super excited about other throttle options, i.e. Viper/tomcat (though the 18 works pretty good for that), and most excited about a harrier throttle.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I would like it if I could separate the mechanical friction from the lever/axis. i.e. open the case, set the mechanical friction to my preference while being free to use the lever/axis the same way I do on the Warthog throttle. TM got it right separating the two, though it could be better if you had some sort of way to toggle between engaging and disengaging the lever from the mechanical setting, which would give end users the best of both worlds. For anything but helos, I prefer the maximum friction setting, which isn't that much friction compared to the real throttle quadrant I have that is an F-101 Voodoo mechanism paired with F-4 Phantom levers/handles. Of course, for helos, I would love to be able to disable the afterburner detent, too.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I can see through the throttles brushes red indicator slowly flashing. In the dark i can see the same flashing from the switches panel when backlight is set off. Does everybody have these red LEDs flashing? Or is it a warning state or something?

I don't know but I've been told

It's been said that God is dead

Jet fighters never cry, jet fighters never die

oldracoon and Lobinjaevel

I noticed this the minute I plugged in the throttle and sent an enquiry to Winwing, they told me it was a "situation indicator" and everything was Ok

I guess by that it's just a telltale to indicate the throttle is getting power via the USB.

While on that subject I discovered at one point the StartUp panel wasn't being recognised, although I was still getting the red light. That turned out to be a faulty hub, to my great relief. So if something does awry, make sure to fully check all hubs cables and plugs before blaming the throttle or panel

Wingwing F16 Throttle Grip

Last week I messaged Winwing regarding development of an F16 throttle grip. Their reply was yes, working fast to make.

No dates just that they are working quickly in its development as an addon to their throttle system.

I'm looking forward to this.

Last week I messaged Winwing regarding development of an F16 throttle grip. Their reply was yes, working fast to make.

No dates just that they are working quickly in its development as an addon to their throttle system.

I'm looking forward to this.

:thumbup:

Double post

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir