[RESOLVED]DCS.exe - Entry Point Not Found

DMarkwick

My Steam DCS install stopped working suddenly - click "Play", I get the usual radio button popup & choose normal Steam version, then the button turns blue and displays "Stop", and after a few seconds goes back to green "Play". No other clues, the DCS logs are all from tha last successful game load so nothing useful there.

I've been running DCS successfully for several weeks now, have bought a whole bunch of DLCs, no problems running anything until 3 days ago when it just won't start.

I downloaded the standalone DCS install & installed that, and when I try to start it I get a message box with:

"DCS.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

"The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library WorldGeneral.dll."

So, my Steam has stopped working, and DCS standalone doesn't start. Probably the same cause.

Can anyone tell me the problem and how I can fix it?

• ED Team

I think you may have mixed your steam and stand alone installs maybe?

Best advice is to delete both and start again.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BIGNEWY, thanks for the reply.

No, I'm definitely not mixing them, Steam just fails to start, and standalone is a raw install no modules, no DLCs, no mods, just as it installs with nothing else going on. For standalone I use the shortcut generated on my desktop which links directly to DCS_updater.exe. I tried DCS.exe directly and I get the same error message.

I tried to directly start from Steam's DCS.exe and I get the same error message, which I don't get when I try to start it from the Steam launcher.

My feeling is that, as a Windows 7 Pro user, since very recently I probably need to update/change some other component but I don't know what that is, it seems the latest exe from DCS requires it whether it's standalone or Steam.

Edited by DMarkwick

• ED Team

If your windows is upto date it should be ok, however windows 7 support has come to an end now for microsoft.

I would go with the fresh install of DCS and see if it helps.

Also check your antivirus is not creating any problems

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yeah I'm currently re-downloading the entire Steam DCS install since last night, some ~170gb :) so it'll take some time. It will be done by the time I get home tonight though. I already did a couple of standalone re-installs (seeing as that's "only" ~60-70gb or so :) ) with no luck.

I'll also uninstall AVG as that's probably a high contender - one of the things that regularly updates itself, and as I haven't done anything, and Win7 no longer updates, and this problem happened shortly before the DCS update I'm looking for auto-update components.

• ED Team

If you do still have problems after the fresh install, please include your dcs log we will take a look

• ED Team

I have seen your log in the support ticket, I would suggest we continue there.

thank you

As an update and for anyone searching the same problem, I never did find the cause, or a fix. I had to clean install Win 10 & reinstall everything. It was a weird problem that, as far as I ever saw, only affected DCS both Steam and standalone.

I believe it was definitely a My PC problem though, and unconnected with either Steam or ED.

• ED Team

Thanks for letting us know, good to see you are up and running again.