Supercarrier super LOW fps in VR

sfzdrums

Greetings,

So maybe this is a problem with my out of date hardware (i5 4460 cpu @ 3.2GHz, Geforce 1060 gpu, 32gb RAM) but the SC is unplayable for me. Everywhere else in DCS (including CVN 74 Stennis), I'm getting consistenly upper 30's/mid 40's FPS (never above 45 fps). But the SC? My FPS will cycle between low 20s and single digits. MOSTLY single digits... I have tried using DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6 (ICPass), NOT using said shaders, I have tried turning off all shadows, even tried installing a shadow.lua file some nice person uploaded to this forum. I'm not sure what to do but I know that I cannot use SC like this. Is anyone else having this issue, or could I be correct in assuming that it is seriously time to update my equipment? Also, I'm using Oculus Rift cv1. :helpsmilie:

Lenovo k450e, Windows 10 Home, 64bit / Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz / 32GB Ram / DCS running off 500GB SSD / GeForce 1060 GPU / Oculus Rift cv1 / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/ Saitek combat pedals

I think it is probably your video card that is the issue. I have 1080ti I get 40 on the carrier and 20 with a loaded deck. Although its kinda odd, it is a very very smooth 20 ie it does not effect gameplay at all.

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

I was getting low FPS on the Supercarrier too. I've found the biggest change you can make in your settings that will noticeably improve your FPS is to change your cockpit resolution to 512 and pixel density to 1.0.

Previously I was using a cockpit resolution of 1024 and pixel PD of 1.3 and my FPS was in the low teens on the Supercarrier, now it's still not fantastic, probably low 20s, but at least it's just about usable while I'm on deck. Once I'm airborne it goes up to around 40FPS.

I was worried the lower cockpit and PD settings would make my cockpit an unreadable blurry mess but surprisingly it's not that terrible. I'm used to using the zoom a lot anyway to read my dials.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the replies. I think my next purchase is going to be the GPU, and the highest CPU I could upgrade to would be an i7 4790 on this old motherboard. But it's interesting that you mention cockpit resolution and pixel density.

My cockpit res was already on 512. Textures on medium, and terrain textures on low. Basically everything turned down just enough to try and coax what I can out of the SC. I'm also using oculus tray tool. I might try messing with that because I have my in-game pixel density set to 0.5 and the OTT super sampling set to 1.5. But honestly, ALL of that was working well until the supercarrier. The F-14 shows similar symptoms although its still very playable.

Lenovo k450e, Windows 10 Home, 64bit / Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz / 32GB Ram / DCS running off 500GB SSD / GeForce 1060 GPU / Oculus Rift cv1 / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/ Saitek combat pedals

Hello,

My machine is same as you ( I5 2500k, 4.5 ghz, RAM 32Gb, GTX 1060 6Gb, Rift CV1 )

I spend time to tweak everything and i can play very confortable.

Important things are in forum,

here mine:

- Power Maximum performances in nvidia control panel

- Performances Textures in nvidia control panel

- All Shadow off ( recent need with SC release )

- Graphic Low settings

- PD 1.2 ( no occulus tray tool needed )

- Force 30 Hz output with occulus commande line tool ( for PG map )

- Disable HotPlug Device

- ALT+ ENTER Multiple time to get true full screen

- Turn Off Mirror in plane

I get 129 FPS in main menu ( before to put the rift on the Head to go to 90 fps )

My next GPU card will be RTX 2060/70 super.

How many fps do you get in main menu ?

Edited by fab.13

Greetings,

So maybe this is a problem with my out of date hardware (i5 4460 cpu @ 3.2GHz, Geforce 1060 gpu, 32gb RAM) :helpsmilie:

Maybe ;D You have 6years old cpu, which wasn't top of the line back then for i5 processors,

gtx 1060 which one, 3gb or 6gb?

32gb ram, again which one? is it compatibile with cpu?

Your cpu supports ram speed DDR3-1333/1600 max, so whatever RAM you have in there its working at 1333/1600 max speed, which is low for todays standards.

basically that cpu is being towed by the rest of the system and its slowing it down,

if you can replace it, you will have to replace the MB too, it will do wonders for you.

Hello,

My machine is same as you ( I5 2500k, 4.5 ghz, RAM 32Gb, GTX 1060 6Gb, Rift CV1 ).....

How many fps do you get in main menu ?

Hey so yeah I have tried most everything you mentioned, with the exception of using the oculus command line and alt+enter for full screen. Last night I turned my textures to low and put pixel density back up to 1.0 and disabled super sampling in OTT. Worked wonders. Now on SC i'm getting mid 20s for FPS, but if the carriers island is in view, i'm getting around 15. Ive noticed that the animations from the island (rotating radars, etc) really lower my fps, both on deck and final approach. I will take a look at that command line though, but I'm running 45 FPS in main menu. For some reason, nothing I do will allow for any higher FPS anywhere in DCS.

gtx 1060 which one, 3gb or 6gb?

32gb ram, again which one? is it compatibile with cpu?

Your cpu supports ram speed DDR3-1333/1600 max, so whatever RAM you have in there its working at 1333/1600 max speed, which is low for todays standards.

So i'm running the 1060 3gb. My ram IS compatible with the CPU, at least it is recognized by the system when I check bios and system information. It's DDR3 PC3-12800 as stated on the info sticker attached to the memory module. I'm pretty sure i'm with you on that my cpu is being towed by the rest of the system. I know my MB (according to the manual) will support an i7 4790, but thats the absolute highest it will except. So you think it's time to bite the AIM-9 and replace CPU/MB then?

BTW you guys are awesome, thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Our difference is about the VRAM quantity and CPU clock.

3 GB seem very short.

To get FPS in main menu :

- start occulus

- plug rift, but don't put on your head

- check occulus home detect your rift ( three green )

- start dcs in vr

- display fps : they are not limited to 45 because the rift not on your head yet

By this way, we can get a base performance to compare.

Next video card to buy for me too...

1) https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266061

2) Make a ".bat file" with ( be careful about your directory ) :

call "D:\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe" -f "asw30.txt"

3) and "asw30.txt" file in same directory the .bat file with :

server:asw.Clock30

exit

4) and a shortcut on the .bat file

5) lauch shortcut after starting oculus home : 30 hz to play on PG or SC are smoother than trying to get 45 our card cannot

Edited by fab.13

Hey so yeah I have tried most everything you mentioned, with the exception of using the oculus command line and alt+enter for full screen. Last night I turned my textures to low and put pixel density back up to 1.0 and disabled super sampling in OTT. Worked wonders. Now on SC i'm getting mid 20s for FPS, but if the carriers island is in view, i'm getting around 15. Ive noticed that the animations from the island (rotating radars, etc) really lower my fps, both on deck and final approach. I will take a look at that command line though, but I'm running 45 FPS in main menu. For some reason, nothing I do will allow for any higher FPS anywhere in DCS.

So i'm running the 1060 3gb. My ram IS compatible with the CPU, at least it is recognized by the system when I check bios and system information. It's DDR3 PC3-12800 as stated on the info sticker attached to the memory module. I'm pretty sure i'm with you on that my cpu is being towed by the rest of the system. I know my MB (according to the manual) will support an i7 4790, but thats the absolute highest it will except. So you think it's time to bite the AIM-9 and replace CPU/MB then?

While I'm still downloading 2.5.6 stable to finally fly SC, yes! My FPS jump going from an I7-4790k @4.5ghz to the i7-9700 even before overclock to 5.0ghz was about 100% increase before the overclock and switching my RTX2060 to a GTX1080Ti. The video card switch gave me enough VRAM to run higher resolutions and higher AA levels. The other thing to keep in mind there is the effect of a faster RAM pipeline as well.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

I have almost a same system of you, but my processor is a i7 4790 and I have 16gb of ram. The only option you have is disable all shadows, medium, low or flat have no difference, only "none" impact in SP performance. I use fpsvr and what I see is when I enable shadows, my CPU goes bananas, its not a GPU thing.

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

Hello,

- ALT+ ENTER Multiple time to get true full screen

I know this improves a lot in 2D, but in VR ? It only makes mirror image to full screen.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

OK, don't know whats your budget, but when upgrading your setup GPU can go on its own, but processor, ram and MB kinda have to be upgraded together, to follow each other up and to have none of those components dragging behind and slowing down the system.

So I'd recommend you do that big upgrade now, go with i5 its completely fine to run DCS,

if you want to overclock its the K or the KF versions, the difference is that K has the inegrated graphics and KF version has no graphic therefore it is cheaper. For overclocking you need the MB that can support it obviously;D, any motherboard with a Z designation will be fine,

For RAM I'd go with at least 3000 MHz DDR4, 16gb is ok but 32gb would be perfect,

Cooling, systems before didn't need much cooling since they didn't heat up as they do now, so be prepared on that one, cooling is very important.

later you can get rtx2060 super or something better, and you have a setup for at least 4 to 5 years that doesn't need upgrades.

If you have the budget for i9, RTX 2080TI and all that juicy stuff, go for it;)

Hope this helps:)

Edited by Furiz

Yes, our system can handle the majority of A+ games pretty well, can handle solid 35+ fps on VR in every situations if we lower the configs on DCS, but its totally normal the FPS drops in a half on Supercarrier and we need a $3.5k machines just to run it. Its totally ok guys!

I bought a USS George Washington, but i got the USS Powerpoint! :lol::lol:

PS: I'm ok with Stennis while I cant buy a new computer.

Edited by marcoscosta

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

Cool, so I guess I'm going to look into MB/CPU combo options. I disabled OTT and used oculus debug tool and now I'm pulling 90 fps in main menu (with headset on) and a solid 45 fps while flying doing pretty much anything, including operating on the Stennis. SC I'm now getting upper 20s, lower 30s...upper teens lower 20s if the island is in view. Mind you this is with my DCS settings low and no shadows. Now, I'm about to go in and find the best middle ground between textures, AA and PD. I really need that AA because with it at 2x, it's almost impossible to make out the angled deck/ball on the carrier.

My budget isn't the best, but not horrible. I will upgrade to the i7 4790/Z series MB, keep the RAM i have, and opt for a couple models higher than my 1060 3gb I have now. So maybe I'm computer dumb (actually I know I am) but is the 1080ti better or worse than the 1660ti? I don't see a lot about the 1660ti/super in these forums and I'm wondering why...At first I thought it was only for laptops but I'm seeing otherwise.

I will say for DCS in VR you really need a new rig over the one you have.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1080ti is way better than 1660.

I'm seeing that after a bit more research. Thank you for your input!

I will say for DCS in VR you really need a new rig over the one you have.

I couldn't agree with you more lol. Upgrades are next on my list.

Cool, so I guess I'm going to look into MB/CPU combo options. I disabled OTT and used oculus debug tool and now I'm pulling 90 fps in main menu (with headset on) and a solid 45 fps while flying doing pretty much anything, including operating on the Stennis. SC I'm now getting upper 20s, lower 30s...upper teens lower 20s if the island is in view. Mind you this is with my DCS settings low and no shadows. Now, I'm about to go in and find the best middle ground between textures, AA and PD. I really need that AA because with it at 2x, it's almost impossible to make out the angled deck/ball on the carrier.

My budget isn't the best, but not horrible. I will upgrade to the i7 4790/Z series MB, keep the RAM i have, and opt for a couple models higher than my 1060 3gb I have now. So maybe I'm computer dumb (actually I know I am) but is the 1080ti better or worse than the 1660ti? I don't see a lot about the 1660ti/super in these forums and I'm wondering why...At first I thought it was only for laptops but I'm seeing otherwise.

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know what you can eventually expect with this setup: I myself have a 1080ti and an i7 7700k overclocked to 4.9Mhz with water cooling, 48gb of ram. So my setup is roughly around 15-20% (due to the oc - standard would be 15% for the 7700k vs the 4790 alone) better performance - just on paper - ingame I would suggest more like 10-15% more fps. My fps on the SC are, well how should I put it...very much dissapointing. In 2d no problems because fps stays way above 60fps on 1440p with high settings. In vr....well that is another story. No way to play DCS with 80fps (Rift S) all the way through. You have to use ASW, or if you like to play a vr game that looks like a prototype from the nineties (yeah a little bit over the top - but it kind of is true when you lower your settings to the point where you can maintain 80+fps), then you don't need ASW. Yeah that was very much a sarcastic comment ;-). DCS is very very demanding in every aspect on your rig. And I yet have to see someone who has the rig to play dcs in vr at 80+fps with high settings. My frames are locked at 40fps with asw on because of the jitter you're getting with forcing 40fps without asw enabled. In air with nothing around and no terrain in sight I get steady 80fps but that is the only time I am getting those numbers. On the sc it depends a lot on what is present too - on and off the sc. If there are a few/handful of statics on deck and ai starting and flying around (I have to say that this also depends on what module is flying around or starting or landing) I am getting around 25-40 fps, which would actually not bother me if there wasn't the problem with ghosting when high speed objects fly by. When I am the only one on the sc and no ai plane anywhere, then my frames go up to 30-40fps. I found out that some of the settings like shadows have a huge impact...but the gain in fps with no shadows is in my case not worth it - just because it just looks terrible, completely destroys my immersion. I do only use shadows in the cockpit and my own shadows outside - every other shadow is set to off, no ai will cast a shadow, no trees, no static map objects, nothing else but me, myself and I.

And one of the worst things with the sc are (and I think in general it is performing as expected due to the complexity of this module) the framedrops every 1-2 seconds. And these are in between 15-50% (yeah you read right, 50! percent). These drops happen no matter where you look. The only difference is the intensity of the drops. Looking at the isle is the worst of framedrops you can imagine - and that every 1-2 second. Even in 2d I get these massive drops from like 140 down to 60-80 (just for a tenth of a second but very much noticable).

So I would suggest that you wait a little bit longer, get all cash you can get together and go for something way bigger and better than what I for example have what is actually a good gaming rig (at least for all games at 1440p with maxed out settings).

Well that is a long read but maybe I can prevent someone from doing something they will, with a very high chance, regret afterwards.

And for better comparisons here are my settings out of my head:

Textures: high (medium, low won't give me more fps)

terrain textures: low, just because the difference between high and low is in my eyes negligible

civ. traffic: off

water: medium

visib range: medium

heatblur: off

shadows: high (tweaked for cockpit only shadows)

res.: doesn't matter in vr (2d would be 2160x1440 in my case)

res. cockpit: 1024 every frame (fps wise I didn't notice a jump when setting this lower

MSAA: 4x (no difference in performance for me if it is 2x or 4x)

everything else on the left side: off

Clutter/Grass: 0

Tree visibility:60

preload radius: all the way to the right

Chimney smoke density: 0

gamma: 1.3

anisotropic filtering: 8x

terrain object shadows: off (this one I have to test again to see if I fall under 40fps)

cockpit global illumination: off

rain droplets: on (allthough I am not playing in the rain because frames would go down all the way)

Vsync: off

PD: 1 (strangely I can't go higher in dcs [in other titles no problem at all] without a massive performance loss - and my performance is way better and I mean waaaaaay better even with MSAA at 4x)

Hope this helps making your decision easier.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I just went into the mission editor and replaced the F-18c block 20's that were not actually flying but were just eye candy statics, with F-18c's boy what a difference... in terms of CPU perf impact its like night and day .

I have attached the missions so you can see

C-SUPERCARRIER-HORNET-COLD START Statics.miz

C-SUPERCARRIER-HORNET-CASE I RECOVERY Static Replace.miz

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Even on a NASA- PC from Cape Canaveral you cannot run DCS with a good performance and high FPS in VR...

:) why would you want to run on an out of date pc :) NASA is part of the government after all :)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:29 AM, squirrelmeister said:

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know what you can eventually expect with this setup: I myself have a 1080ti and an i7 7700k overclocked to 4.9Mhz with water cooling, 48gb of ram. So my setup is roughly around 15-20% (due to the oc - standard would be 15% for the 7700k vs the 4790 alone) better performance - just on paper - ingame I would suggest more like 10-15% more fps. My fps on the SC are, well how should I put it...very much dissapointing. In 2d no problems because fps stays way above 60fps on 1440p with high settings. In vr....well that is another story. No way to play DCS with 80fps (Rift S) all the way through. You have to use ASW, or if you like to play a vr game that looks like a prototype from the nineties (yeah a little bit over the top - but it kind of is true when you lower your settings to the point where you can maintain 80+fps), then you don't need ASW. Yeah that was very much a sarcastic comment ;-). DCS is very very demanding in every aspect on your rig. And I yet have to see someone who has the rig to play dcs in vr at 80+fps with high settings. My frames are locked at 40fps with asw on because of the jitter you're getting with forcing 40fps without asw enabled. In air with nothing around and no terrain in sight I get steady 80fps but that is the only time I am getting those numbers. On the sc it depends a lot on what is present too - on and off the sc. If there are a few/handful of statics on deck and ai starting and flying around (I have to say that this also depends on what module is flying around or starting or landing) I am getting around 25-40 fps, which would actually not bother me if there wasn't the problem with ghosting when high speed objects fly by. When I am the only one on the sc and no ai plane anywhere, then my frames go up to 30-40fps. I found out that some of the settings like shadows have a huge impact...but the gain in fps with no shadows is in my case not worth it - just because it just looks terrible, completely destroys my immersion. I do only use shadows in the cockpit and my own shadows outside - every other shadow is set to off, no ai will cast a shadow, no trees, no static map objects, nothing else but me, myself and I.

And one of the worst things with the sc are (and I think in general it is performing as expected due to the complexity of this module) the framedrops every 1-2 seconds. And these are in between 15-50% (yeah you read right, 50! percent). These drops happen no matter where you look. The only difference is the intensity of the drops. Looking at the isle is the worst of framedrops you can imagine - and that every 1-2 second. Even in 2d I get these massive drops from like 140 down to 60-80 (just for a tenth of a second but very much noticable).

So I would suggest that you wait a little bit longer, get all cash you can get together and go for something way bigger and better than what I for example have what is actually a good gaming rig (at least for all games at 1440p with maxed out settings).

Well that is a long read but maybe I can prevent someone from doing something they will, with a very high chance, regret afterwards.

And for better comparisons here are my settings out of my head:

Textures: high (medium, low won't give me more fps)

terrain textures: low, just because the difference between high and low is in my eyes negligible

civ. traffic: off

water: medium

visib range: medium

heatblur: off

shadows: high (tweaked for cockpit only shadows)

res.: doesn't matter in vr (2d would be 2160x1440 in my case)

res. cockpit: 1024 every frame (fps wise I didn't notice a jump when setting this lower

MSAA: 4x (no difference in performance for me if it is 2x or 4x)

everything else on the left side: off

Clutter/Grass: 0

Tree visibility:60

preload radius: all the way to the right

Chimney smoke density: 0

gamma: 1.3

anisotropic filtering: 8x

terrain object shadows: off (this one I have to test again to see if I fall under 40fps)

cockpit global illumination: off

rain droplets: on (allthough I am not playing in the rain because frames would go down all the way)

Vsync: off

PD: 1 (strangely I can't go higher in dcs [in other titles no problem at all] without a massive performance loss - and my performance is way better and I mean waaaaaay better even with MSAA at 4x)

Hope this helps making your decision easier.

Cheers

"In 2d no problems because fps stays way above 60fps on 1440p with high settings." Well, it's technically not 2d but I know what you mean. I'm running an i7-10700K at 4.8Ghz with 32Gigs of DDR4 3200Mhz memory, fast Crucial M.2 P5 SSD and an RTX 2060 Super at 2560x1080, what I'd consider high settings and I don't get 60 FPS on deck in SC. I actually do in cockpit if I'm looking directly forward or at the gauges, but if I look over my shoulder, at the other planes launching or go to external view, I get in the mid 30s. My DCS so far, and I haven't played many heavy missions, caps out at my monitor refresh with 75FPS constantly, but not on the super carrier.

Edited by rfxcasey

Terrain shadows on default give randomly large fps increase for me in VR. I fly with them flat as preference because they flicker, this also improves fps everywhere else except SC deck. Try the cold start SC mission and see for yourself. I really wish this could be addressed/fixed or at least explained what is going on if it's not a bug. 

I started a thread, although it's been covered before.

Edited by Hoirtel