F-18 landing gear warning keep ringing at 6000ft

enceladus

No matter what I did at 150 KIAS at something like 5000-6000 feet, be it Split S or just aiming for gun kill or scissor the landing gear keep ringing and I feel it's very annoying.

If this isn't bug I would like to know why it does this, 6000ft above the sea is not really unsafe after all.

I tried spin the floor warning to lower than 1000 but it still ringing.

This track is from the instant action free flight.

LandingGearWarning.trk

Edited by enceladus

I haven't watched the track, however these are the conditions for the landing gear handle to flash and beep:

In addition, the gear handle light functions as a wheel warning in conjunction with a warning tone.

The gear handle light flashes and a continuous rate beeping tone sounds when the gear handle is in the

UP position, the aircraft is below 175 knots, altitude is less than 7,500 feet and rate of descent is greater

than 250 feet per minute.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

7,500 feet and 250 feet per minute!! Seriously you need 30 minutes to reduce your altitude to 0 even if you really descending.

And there's no way to turn that off?

I remember it wasn't like this last month though.

Like this

If I read it correctly that's 106 KIAS at 857 feet descending, it show again a few second later below 1000. It only rang when he went below 1000 and almost hit the ground.

I suspect the recent update though.

It won't go off if you are above 175 knots, so it wont go off during a normal descent. Its been like that for as long as I can remember.

The simple solution to stop it going off is to stop doing manoeuvres at a dangerously low airspeed.

It won't go off if you are above 175 knots, so it wont go off during a normal descent. Its been like that for as long as I can remember.

The simple solution to stop it going off is to stop doing manoeuvres at a dangerously low airspeed.

I really need you watch the video I posted though, C.W. Lemoine doing dogfight with his F-18 pilot friend in DCS, they both doing 90-150 knots at below 5000 feet and it wasn't ring until it really suppose to.

My point is, how could aiming for gunshot at 6500 feet or scissoring against a cat at 4000 feet possibly be dangerous if it really like that in real life.

7,500 feet and 250 feet per minute!! Seriously you need 30 minutes to reduce your altitude to 0 even if you really descending.

And there's no way to turn that off?

I remember it wasn't like this last month though.

Like this

If I read it correctly that's 106 KIAS at 857 feet descending, it show again a few second later below 1000. It only rang when he went below 1000 and almost hit the ground.

I suspect the recent update though.

Not all runways are at sea level. If you were landing at a high altitude airport you’d want the backup warning for the landing gear.

Not all runways are at sea level. If you were landing at a high altitude airport you’d want the backup warning for the landing gear.

That is if you want to land (in nav mode and flying with wings level), and should not be when you're STT locking someone with master arm on and gun selected and maneuvering.

Especially it wasn't like this in Mover's video I attached above.

I really need you watch the video I posted though, C.W. Lemoine doing dogfight with his F-18 pilot friend in DCS, they both doing 90-150 knots at below 5000 feet and it wasn't ring until it really suppose to.

My point is, how could aiming for gunshot at 6500 feet or scissoring against a cat at 4000 feet possibly be dangerous if it really like that in real life.

I have watched the video and couldnt hear any warning, I wonder if thats because the radar alt alert overrides the gear alert.

As for how you avoid it going off when you are strafing or scissoring, its very simple: stay above 175kts. If you are dropping down that slow then you are flying dangerously close to the stall.

I don't believe that the gear warning system has anything to do with altitude at all. It's all about airspeed.

The problem is it just rings like this in this patch.

And like I said, two real hornet pilots fly <150 knots in BFM too.

I have watched the video and couldnt hear any warning, I wonder if thats because the radar alt alert overrides the gear alert.

As for how you avoid it going off when you are strafing or scissoring, its very simple: stay above 175kts. If you are dropping down that slow then you are flying dangerously close to the stall.

It wasn't like this before, that's the problem.

If you manage alpha good enough you won't stall even at 90 knots, just lose some altitude.

And like I said real Hornet pilots did that, it's no reason to believe you shouldn't fly slow in Hornet.

Edited by enceladus

It wasn't like this before, that's the problem.

If you manage alpha good enough you won't stall even at 90 knots, just lose some altitude.

And like I said real Hornet pilots did that, it's no reason to believe you shouldn't fly slow in Hornet.

Perhaps the update is a further refinement in the interest of fidelity . Perhaps you never noticed it before . I have .

To your second point , low speed bfm is to be avoided , as it leaves you a sitting duck for a hostile wingman , for example .

The two hornet pilots you mentioned were flying in a simulator , with nothing to lose , and were absolutely sure that another hostile would not engage .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The real F-15E is 10K ft for the same if that makes you happier. Not uncommon at all for the warning tone to come on, and it’s going to if you are in the parameters for it to happen unless it’s broken. The F/A-18 is in beta, so what may or may not have happened in the past is completely irrelevant really. Whether or not it currently comes on when it’s supposed to be is. If it’s on, and you are within the limits, then it’s working as it should...no since going on and on and arguing about it.

The real F-15E is 10K ft for the same if that makes you happier. Not uncommon at all for the warning tone to come on, and it’s going to if you are in the parameters for it to happen unless it’s broken. The F/A-18 is in beta, so what may or may not have happened in the past is completely irrelevant really. Whether or not it currently comes on when it’s supposed to be is. If it’s on, and you are within the limits, then it’s working as it should...no since going on and on and arguing about it.

I see, that's make it clearer indeed. Thanks.

They both were doing this for fun in a computer game, so for the most part it means nothing.

In one of his early videos, C.W. explicitly said that he's not going to follow all the rules, disclose any tactical tricks and whatnot.

Dima | My DCS uploads