My Current DCS Settings for 2.5.6

speed-of-heat

This represent my settings files for VR in 2.5.6 (latest beta 49314 at time of writing), and utilising WMR and STEAM VR.

I get a solid 45 FPS in nearly all scenarios, except exceptionally heavy missions, usually on the ground... like all things its a compromise set that works for me YMMV...

I use this Shaders MOD by @Kegetys minus the water.fx file and some others, (see the readme) for best performance and maintain 2.5.6's beautiful water and for IC Pass in my post here

Windows settings for HAGS:

At the moment I leave this switched off, i have tried with it switched off. in some edge scenarios it can offer better performance (most notably when you are at lower frame rates, with 3 or 4 pre prendered frames with less latency) and with low memory cards. But it screws up Motion smoothing unless you force it, i think this has some benefits , but its not yet ready for prime time yet.

nvidia settings for DCS:

y4myQ2Ltvuyo0JnEyjcgc0TIupiY7__I5J--WqM_CeHCFt5RVyDzF4QscXe82-qj45-hP2UCExndkmvUpjyZNGjpiQpi6Wq-azCQCt94pw-EP8PMLasWdWA4BbUWG-ygebWloPZGs8-DV8eUdrW27JcnQ4FgW2plxWWC3HtbKfdEhO8GtjztxzCqUXTtTua_cww

these are the only ones i changed, Texture quality filtering is a double whammy, and terribly named for DCS, turning it to quality dithers the edges of lines, costing you both cycles and clarity in DCS, so i use performance, which turns of the dithering and improves visual cockpit quality as a result. I have just moved the Pre Rendered VR frames back to 1, it was causing me too much input lag, and caused me grief in the pattern and with A2A Refueling.

I have also moved Low Latency Mode to Ultra, which seems to have the effect of reducing any blurring or foxing on objects when combined with Motion Reprojection/Smoothing.

default.vrsettings :

y4megY28qxALzvWGG7Hok_XGE15OJr3xHlFzCX2LJzCG_G1id5OCBhmvLfN-uUnfZH9vfZLpojSvMWE5IaA4sgFl3IyI5FOsbnHBSnZGhGmEtqyGx2Ixwu_bVFgRxk6F5BmbiTexSwH6o3FWXRkc8q-nyVEt-TzWpFvvTjvTR1TTDXbK6hkzJB50KWgPIo4qhH2

I let SteamVR manage Motion Reprojection.

Steam VR Settings:

y4mXjakK0rOF1SQP12bX1u2CKJqtPBofdVAEK-yEVmi3Jh4nqArU9rXawfRX1jNJ3SqSPRtZRG0cS7UxynZxPNMQ_vDb4hRiwVPPKrEJVvgyNVjeSeEt6JcUO2G9W_Ao6v3NoHPmTl9mEjDuBCiJ4Gy6216u8_T6wgcYclrysVh4vILqBk9yV9zgja8Q5QuukCe

I set this as close to 100% native as I can.

Steam VR per Application Video Settings:

y4mu6rt-wUKmuyBLBfXJ6yvh6ExT2tT4RVkxkVB8wlQkY10ZzdEj54EPLdhpmIeZ0abGfYeFKfGDcpZuNdCIthve_ZEyraCu-ZuzQe9sDAAXP06zCV1LlsLKP7jyRxBdtr0X_Aljz4p4on6pUk5nE7OZWeuXiMV-KW6kHqnzV9OWOB2cmZNUaSRl2awksHXP5NU

I use steam to manage the motion reprojection; i would also use this setting with a more powerful graphics card to increase the steam super sampling rate, and i maybe will again later in 2.5.6's release cycle hopefully when some of the VR improvements come through.

In the Shaders mod, i use the following settings for _HMD.hlsl:

y4mnyEtzlk5OW9YLqd3s1SAaDcQ-7IEtcRHv55RPZoFooJK_4etHJWymsypeeBeNEylPBLVWaiplZWCrLSdWAd9feHF8UkIgZCe9KlHpuSBDkee8IlVSJ-RnZJFsEIYDERFqRcJLZURcNg2fAAlESapAlfsmVGbdBCiPLIFOyUI09XBByg5bDzqgRo1j-KNU9jf

I prefer using native resources to manage settings where possible, so bloom and AA mask size, i leave to the in game settings. (n.b. in the recent update Kegetys removed the AA Masksize as that is now in game)

DCS System Options:

y4mpcxGxrF43WZCBCn90HezoTQUjiM0DWOAxH6nzJOX3Bsj9JbuGdFO7fEQyX_0UqZf6ZgfkwMIEpIxmufkuMMjVR-dTw7TKj7DYHUq0iuig6sGc9RvtWmPyCgX45Y6q3mfgKaeEoMT6jsAjw-DvaXZivRP21RKtmjnCGOnXnpJgDlRuyxtX2Ujr4wxYUvTEAAZ

I would set shadows on but they have such a detrimental impact on the super carrier at present, I leave them off. I also have my mirrors set to off by default and i map a HOTAS button to switch them on and off if I need them.

DCS VR Options:

y4mQhhRSdV3a5K9bLpNQAZoKqilOc_FhSYQSa56YfQGUeebo5T6NRDGN7M67SB72QVcMRcvh3k1une89BE7BuecwXcoBZKMBW0ipKfaVZyyUKJxPCeSVIhoHlu8_dlgcvm4ggRAB4OlMGzH6iw-NouGHqcxHu_2kXxRjOl4Vi3r7ua7NAiZ2bfo78HE3zXiTHiE

I switch off Bloom here and i set the AA mask to 50%, I can't honestly judge at the moment if this is actually working with MSAA or not ... but I seem to get less shimmering and no massive framerate impact... so

I have also turned off Windows DVR recording with a reg key the reg file is attached (you can also just make sure instant replay is disabled) . I always make sure the game is running in Full Screen Mode with ALT-ENTER, and I have disabled the full screen optimisation for DCS.exe. I have also disabled hot plug support .

I hope this helps some other people who are struggling with their settings in VR. My hardware spec is in my signature block. Many thanks to Kegetys and WJU for their mods.

DisableGameDVR.zip

Edited by speed-of-heat
Low Latency Mode

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I just tried your settings. I disabled reprojection in the config file, restarted steam VR and enabled motion smoothing. Tried both enabled and force on/ half rate. Doesn't seem to work, just a variable, jittery frame rate with no reprojection.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Don’t know what to say, they work super well for me.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

SteamVR motion smoothing should be only for Valve and Vive devices,

old legacy reprojection smooth just the head movement but to half refresh rate reprojection..

So i don't see how it can work for you?

Are you really sure?

For me it doesn't work if i use this settings

EDIT: interestingly you seems right....this changed recently...need to try better right now..

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/3851080472164545100

TLDR for it to work you need to delete (or comment that line as you did).....just putting disable won't work....very very good to know...let's try now

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest Pro  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, F-16EX Grip, Orion 2 Base, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

old legacy reprojection smooth just the head movement but to half refresh rate reprojection..

Are you really sure?

EDIT: interestingly you seems right....this changed recently...need to try better right now..

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/3851080472164545100

TLDR for it to work you need to delete (or comment that line as you did).....just putting disable won't work....very very good to know...let's try now

FWIW - it has been working for me since the first 2.5.6 release, which is i think when the beta came out ... glad its working for you now

I always tend to comment things out, rather than deleting them, that way I can work out what's screwed up :)

Going on the basis of another thread I saw on the super carrier I changed my terrain shadows from flat to default and got an improvement in FPS, quite noticeable. Really odd as I thought this was more intensive?

I dont get that benefit, what i see in frame time is an increase in both CPU (occasionally spikes in yellows so above 10ms, every 10-20 frames or so) and GPU activity (costs me about .3 of a ms).

Are you really sure?

Yes, that changed a few updates ago. Have a look here at my mini guide on this. See if it helps.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251157&postcount=5176

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm a tad confused (happens often) please can I confirm that if I use a RIFT-S but don't use DCS via Steam, I should NOT be using SteamVR?

Many thanks.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I'm a tad confused (happens often) please can I confirm that if I use a RIFT-S but don't use DCS via Steam, I should NOT be using SteamVR?

Many thanks.

sorry my guidance is geared pretty much at Steam and WMR, so the WMR/Steam components might not have a direct analogue for you have ASW etc... so you will have to do some heavy lifting yourself on Oculus. Sorry that was not clear i will amend the first line accordingly. But you should be able to take away some things.

As an aside I understand you can use STEAM if you chose to , but, I have no idea how or if there are performance implications.

Many thanks SOH.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Many thanks.

No you don't need to use steam VR at all. Oculus tray tool does have a performance overlay but I can't get it to show while in DCS, only outside and in oculus games.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that changed a few updates ago. Have a look here at my mini guide on this. See if it helps.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251157&postcount=5176

could you share your non-vr settings? I only have an Oculus-Rift so i would assume i am going to get screen-door even with my 2080Ti, so i right now use single monitor 2K 144Hz , and 3 monitor 1440p depending on what Frame-Rates i can live with at the time. I also do a "T" config but that's on hold due to FPS. I would be interested in the nVidia settings and DCS graphics settings and thanks in advance and if you don't do anything but VR, thanks a ton anyway and thanks for all of your contributions to the DCS forum.

could you share your non-vr settings? I only have an Oculus-Rift so i would assume i am going to get screen-door even with my 2080Ti, so i right now use single monitor 2K 144Hz , and 3 monitor 1440p depending on what Frame-Rates i can live with at the time. I also do a "T" config but that's on hold due to FPS. I would be interested in the nVidia settings and DCS graphics settings and thanks in advance and if you don't do anything but VR, thanks a ton anyway and thanks for all of your contributions to the DCS forum.

Thanks for that.

On TrackIR, I run at 4K resolution and my DCS settings are pretty much everything maxxed out except MSAA which is not needed as much in high 4K resolution.

In nVidia CP, I frame lock to 58fps on my 60Hz monitor and keep vsync set there too. Other (non application-controlled) settings include - FXAA on, Gamma Correction on, Transparency 2x, MFAA on, but tbh, I never see much effect of any of these settings.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for that.

On TrackIR, I run at 4K resolution and my DCS settings are pretty much everything maxxed out except MSAA which is not needed as much in high 4K resolution.

In nVidia CP, I frame lock to 58fps on my 60Hz monitor and keep vsync set there too. Other (non application-controlled) settings include - FXAA on, Gamma Correction on, Transparency 2x, MFAA on, but tbh, I never see much effect of any of these settings.

Good stuff and thank you. I long for the day that i can do 4 screens (T) at high frames. But I like VR too, so I will be considering next steps there too. I heard some good options exist in the $600.00 (usd) space., but probably $1000.00 by the time you buy the sensors and hand controllers. (HP i think, can't remember). Helios is also great, so my eye is always on that for immersion and use it often.

something that is worth a look is this by @Wolta

The guy is quite convincing, but I didn't agree with some what he said before, and the new video hasn't changed that.

It's strange that he still deleted the terrain shader files despite the fact we all know that's not necessary any more.

I don't really agree with the following:

1) no need to disable Game Bar completely. It's a really useful tool to record gameplay video. All you need to do is switch off the 'record in background' option that he mentioned to save on resources and start Game Bar in game (win+g) whenever you need it.

2) I, personally, have never seen any difference with 'full screen optimisations' checked or unchecked.

3) never seen the hotplug option make a difference either.

4) I also have never agreed with his DCS settings recommendations. Some things he talks about, e.g. AF, textures, have no effect on fps AFAICS, and he doesn't talk about the important ones, like shadows, MSAA, etc.

As I have said before, IMO, the only major options worth tinkering with in DCS are - MSAA, shadows, and SteamVR SS/PD. The others are not in the 'big picture'.

Just an opinion, and I hope that his recommendations help others.

agreed, but if we didn't look we wouldn't know. also i know that for some the hotplug thing is real .. and causes them real grief

The guy is quite convincing, but I didn't agree with some what he said before, and the new video hasn't changed that.

It's strange that he still deleted the terrain shader files despite the fact we all know that's not necessary any more.

I don't really agree with the following:

1) no need to disable Game Bar completely. It's a really useful tool to record gameplay video. All you need to do is switch off the 'record in background' option that he mentioned to save on resources and start Game Bar in game (win+g) whenever you need it.

2) I, personally, have never seen any difference with 'full screen optimisations' checked or unchecked.

3) never seen the hotplug option make a difference either.

4) I also have never agreed with his DCS settings recommendations. Some things he talks about, e.g. AF, textures, have no effect on fps AFAICS, and he doesn't talk about the important ones, like shadows, MSAA, etc.

As I have said before, IMO, the only major options worth tinkering with in DCS are - MSAA, shadows, and SteamVR SS/PD. The others are not in the 'big picture'.

Just an opinion, and I hope that his recommendations help others.

+1, good post, and agree Imacken with all points here. I agree the YT video poster is convincing, and he's also a very nice person, and tries to help. That doesn't mean he's accurate though, but I am taking into account that he's running mid range hardware as well, which may produce much different and more positive results with his suggested downloads and settings than those of us with 2080ti and faster CPUs. I can't check because my systems are all the same, but that's just an opinion.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

so i must admit to being on mid-range graphics card (still cant believe a 1080TI is mid range :) )... and some of the improvements are 1/2 ms improvements now if you have the headroom of s 2080TI i don't believe you will see any positive FPS improvement, except in some edge scenarios, where as if you are on "mid range" or lower hardware it makes a difference to bring those edge conditions to be more tolerable.

The IC pass version of the shaders, genuinely has tiny perf improvements, but i hack Kegety's version to be IC compliant just so it provides that extra 0.5 to 1.0 ms, i must admit i don't use it because on my mid range GPU it really doesn't make that much difference.

my own 0.02 GBP :)

• 1 month later...

PMBI

For anyone interested in trying/testing, here is a simple script I found on the net. I haven't yet determined if it helps DCS/VR, but I will say it made a HUGE difference on my system running Half-Life Alyx (VR).

I run this script (powershell) after the listed apps are running. You can also do the same manually by opening Task Manager/Details, right click the exe set priority/High.

Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "DCS.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(128) } edit 128 parenthesis not 8)

Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "vrserver.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(128) }

Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "vrcompositor.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(128) }

save these lines in a .ps1 file

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

you can do this by setting this through the registry, see here

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/48138/performace-boost-how-to-set-process-priority-permanently

and replace bf1.exe with dcs etc...