Should the ICLS glideslope bar be following the pitching deck axis ???

FZG_Immel

I was making difficult case Is with thunderstorm, very low visibility and 80kts of wind and 37kts gust down below, and I could see my glideslope bar going up and down very violently despite my very stable approaches. Like it was following the pitching deck angles.

Shouldn't the ICLS be stabilized instead ? Its not a big issue if you have a 1000ft visibility to make final adjustements by the eye, but in case of blind or near blind approaches, it becomes difficult.

Shouldn't the glideslope bar be stabilized despite the pitching deck ?

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I was making difficult case Is with thunderstorm, very low visibility and 80kts of wind and 37kts gust down below, and I could see my glideslope bar going up and down very violently despite my very stable approaches. Like it was following the pitching deck angles.

Shouldn't the ICLS be stabilized instead ? Its not a big issue if you have a 1000ft visibility to make final adjustements by the eye, but in case of blind or near blind approaches, it becomes difficult.

I didn't think the ship pitching was implemented yet

oh yeah it is. put some 80kts of wind and check it out

I will! I'll even do it in case III. I'm going crash into the back of the boat anyway might as well stress a little while I do it:joystick:

whats fun in case3 is that since you have a 80kts headwind+14kts of the carrier, and you are approaching at around 135kt, it takes forever to get to the carrier :) like twice longer once you are 3/4 of a mile.

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

The IFLOLS system which provides the visual glideslope indicator has limits on how much deck motion it can compensate for. If ED has simulated this, you very extreme conditions so the system was unable to keep up with the ship motion. In real life the LSO can manual take over the glideslope indicator to provide high, low or on glide slope indications.

The IFLOLS system which provides the visual glideslope indicator has limits on how much deck motion it can compensate for. If ED has simulated this, you very extreme conditions so the system was unable to keep up with the ship motion. In real life the LSO can manual take over the glideslope indicator to provide high, low or on glide slope indications.

interesting !

thank you !

Nor ICLS nor IFLOS stabilization is implemented yet. In the old stennis the IFLOS is stabilized but the ICLS isn't. In the supercarrier none of those are stabilized. SPN41 is mounted on a torsion bar. IFLOS has a whole system for angle projection in an earth reference stabilization.

Stay safe

Nor ICLS nor IFLOS stabilization is implemented yet. In the old stennis the IFLOS is stabilized but the ICLS isn't. In the supercarrier none of those are stabilized. SPN41 is mounted on a torsion bar. IFLOS has a whole system for angle projection in an earth reference stabilization.

it makes sense with what I was seeing. except that sometimes ICLS and IFLOS were giving me opposite indications.

it makes sense with what I was seeing. except that sometimes ICLS and IFLOS were giving me opposite indications.

ICLS and IFLOS are not matching currently and IMHO due to a bug. But you have to take into account that their indications are indeed opposite IRL. A low ball is a low plane, but a low ICLS glideslope is a high plane.

Stay safe

ICLS and IFLOS are not matching currently and IMHO due to a bug. But you have to take into account that their indications are indeed opposite IRL. A low ball is a low plane, but a low ICLS glideslope is a high plane.

Can you run that again?

Never mind...

Edited by Gripes323

I thought ICLS wasn’t stabilised but ACLS (which isn’t implemented yet) is gyro stabilised (within limits)

No, I think ED got that wrong and they even put it on the manual. ACLS has DMC, Deck Motion Compensation which has nothing to do with stabilization. A stabilized system shows the same angle in space regardless of the frame, this is what the torsion bar does. A compensated system guesses future movement to show the pilot the best angle to touch down and meet the carrier landing criteria of the given aircraft. IFLOS in the old stennis is well simulated and it shows the same angle in space, but in the supercarrier it shows whatever angle is created by the axis of the deck and the projection of the lights (wrong). ICLS was never stabilized in old or new carriers.

Stay safe

that's my point. sometimes the ICLS was saying I was high, while the IFLOS was saying I was low.. (low bar in the ICLS and the ball was low)

we did more tests with my friends tonight. The good news is that the LSO plat cam is indeed stabilized. So with a good LSO you can stay on the right glidepath, even in adverse conditions.

we did more tests with my friends tonight. The good news is that the LSO plat cam is indeed stabilized. So with a good LSO you can stay on the right glidepath, even in adverse conditions.

Yes you're right!! the camera is indeed very well stabilized. I guess ED forgot to do the same with the IFLOS. Maybe because two days from launching the module the lights were not even visible and then they fixed it right on time. Hopefully they know about all this stuff and are already working on them. I just wish they had put the same effort on systems like they put on graphics.

Stay safe

Yes you're right!! the camera is indeed very well stabilized. I guess ED forgot to do the same with the IFLOS. Maybe because two days from launching the module the lights were not even visible and then they fixed it right on time. Hopefully they know about all this stuff and are already working on them. I just wish they had put the same effort on systems like they put on graphics.

Seems like you already got bunch of testing done with SC and wind/sea state setups.

What is the lowest wind value or any other variable to make the deck pitch... except 80 or 100 knot WOD;)

Seems like you already got bunch of testing done with SC and wind/sea state setups.

What is the lowest wind value or any other variable to make the deck pitch... except 80 or 100 knot WOD;)

Hey Gripes! I didn't actually test many scenarios, only the thunderstorm that comes with DCS which has a "realistic" setting. Like I said on a different thread, pitching deck is less than before for sure, but it happens, and pitches quite a bit.

Stay safe

Hey Gripes! I didn't actually test many scenarios, only the thunderstorm that comes with DCS which has a "realistic" setting. Like I said on a different thread, pitching deck is less than before for sure, but it happens, and pitches quite a bit.

Thanks,

2 more beers and I'll see it pitching for sure.:D

See this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4351379#post4351379

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Out of interest, when you dial the weather up, is there a change in the sea surface animation correspondingly? I have never flown any missions etc with rain or clouds, always sunny and calm......

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.