Case III recovery guide correct?

ouky1991

Sorry if this is stupid question, I just started night ops and I searched the forum but haven't find anything. Are the altitude and range values correct in this quide image?

https://i.imgur.com/ukiEo4t.png

Using simple calculations, you should be at about 1000ft when 3nm from carrier in orded to be on the glideslope of 3,5°. When I follow the guide, I keep being way below and being waved off. It's only if I keep that 1000/3 ratio, I'm on the glideslope as soon as the FLOLS helper apears and I'm able to land safely.

Or is the gliddeslope different for nightops? What am I missing?

The glideslope is correct, you just intercept it at 6nm and 1200ft instead of 10nm and 3000ft.

You can see that at 6nm you get ACLS lock on and you'll be told to 'fly the needles'. You shouldn't be waved off that early in the pattern if you're maintaining 1200ft until you intercept the glide path.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

The glideslope is correct, you just intercept it at 6nm and 1200ft instead of 10nm and 3000ft.

You can see that at 6nm you get ACLS lock on and you'll be told to 'fly the needles'. You shouldn't be waved off that early in the pattern if you're maintaining 1200ft until you intercept the glide path.

I think Dusty meant to say 3 NM and 1200 feet.

I haven't used ICLS before today and didn't know what flying needles meant, I get it now. I also rewatched this video by Wags

and it seems he too intercepts the glideslope at over 1000ft / 3nm, not 600ft / 3nm which would put him way below. So It's kind of confusing that the chart shows "fly needles" and at the same time 1200/6 - 600/3. That just deosn't seem like a safe approach.

**Public service announcement for the whole community.**

“Needles” = ACLS

“Bullseye” = ICLS

That’s right. The symbol for ICLS is a pair of needles, and the symbol for ACLS (not in DCS yet) is a bullseye. The names and the symbols they represent are backwards. That is official. That is real world. Why is it that way? I have no idea!

In DCS, when it says “say needles,” the readback is saying the ICLS needles readout. That is technically incorrect and an artificiality until ACLS comes out. The “say needles” call NEVER references ICLS.