I Gotta Re-Learn Everything!!

Phantom88

I don't really find it any harder. If anything, I'd say it's easier - the carrier is larger, you get instructions on what to do, you get the lights so overall I've been landing the Hornet pretty much every time (have had one WO out of about 15 landings).

Two things I don't understand though are:

1) Every single landing rating gives me [bC], which apparently means "no ball call has been made". Is that something I need activate from the F10 options? If so then at which moment. because there is nothing during any of the legs apart from the standard ones.

2) Another combination that I keep getting is "EGTL", which is "pulled throttles back to help set the hook for arrestment" + "to land". I get it even if I glide onto the deck with a bit of gas without chopping my throttles. Any idea why that would be? Am I supposed to give full beans just before I hit the deck? There's a risk it would flare the nose if I did it too early so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

"eased guns", i.e. power off (or maybe other than MRT in the game) on landing ... you want full beans after the gear hits the deck (ya treat every landing as a bolter until you realize you in fact caught a wire) . But I have no idea how exactly the game is grading you. Sounds like it may be a bit to harsh.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

I get EGIW pretty much every time I catch a wire (the alternative is a bolter) and most of my passes are *cough* average © or no-score. If anything the SC seems easier than the Stennis, just need to get the hang of it.

I'm using Bankler's mission; I generally smoke it until the groove, then the wheels fall off.

That 3/4 miles thing is only for Case3, for case 1 and 2 you want to be at a distance such that you will have 15-18 seconds groove time. You will have to learn that from experience, but generally you start your turn as you can see the white on the fantail.

No, manual says it for Case I, as well:

"At ¾ nm behind the ship, you will enter ‘the groove’ and report in with the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) with a ‘BALL’ radio call. You will fly the rest of the approach and landing based on visual indications on the IFLOLS ball and verbal instructions given by the LSO."

Pg 41 from the 17 May 2020 version.

Today has been miserable. about a dozen Cuts and Wave Offs. I ignored no less than 3 of them which were 3 wires including one Jester's compliment that the LSO had a boner. :D That was a cut, too. :\ Back at 'it in a bit.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2