What am I doing wrong? (F/A-18 landing)

PL_Harpoon

I've been practice carrier landings since the release and no matter what I do I can't get a good grade.

Perhaps you could take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the video:

Link:

And here's the track file:

https://we.tl/t-DK7YoeKO1H

(sorry, it's 10MB so couldn't attach it to the post)

PS. I was just practicing line-up and landings, so I skipped the rest.

Cheers

Edited by PL_Harpoon

Haven't trapped in the Bug yet. Smacked the a$$ end of the boat all three times. On the Tomcat, I did not get wings swept all the way forward, no DLC used, and trapped. Got a "No Grade" with something about "no proper communication" - but the aircraft survived, lol. Wish I had more insight, but it is new, and I need much more practice. I love the module though.

I found that when my wheels touched the deck if I wasn’t at mil power or above I would get a bad pass. Previously I advanced the throttle after I hit the deck.

Thanks, I'll try that.

The flashing AoA indexer would suggest that you don't have your hook down

Edit: Ah, having watched your subsequent attempts, i see that you did drop it.

Yeah, at first I did all my landings with the hook up because it's much quicker and my previous grades looked like that anyway:

LSO: GRADE:WO _DRIC_ (LURIC) _LOAR_ WO(AFU)TL (EGTL) _LRIW_ 3PTSIW
;)

UPDATE:

I found that when my wheels touched the deck if I wasn’t at mil power or above I would get a bad pass. Previously I advanced the throttle after I hit the deck.

That was it! After advancing the the throttle to MIL just before touchdown I'm now getting proper grades.

Cheers! :drink:

vid:

I've also attached a track if anyone's intrested.

Hornet carrier practice 22 05 20_2.trk

Edited by PL_Harpoon

Well I have never been good getting the hornet on the deck so I would say I am still being super consistent!:thumbup: My landing grades look like a stretched out eye exam chart.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Yeah, at first I did all my landings with the hook up because it's much quicker and my previous grades looked like that anyway:

;)

UPDATE:

That was it! After advancing the the throttle to MIL just before touchdown I'm now getting proper grades.

Cheers! :drink:

vid:

I've also attached a track if anyone's intrested.

Right on

I am struggling too, constantly get 3PTSIW, even though I am centering the ball all the way down, and on speed. Frustrating.

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

I am struggling too, constantly get 3PTSIW, even though I am centering the ball all the way down, and on speed. Frustrating.

Doesn’t the 3PT mean you landed on all three wheels, rather than 8 degrees nose high?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Doesn’t the 3PT mean you landed on all three wheels, rather than 8 degrees nose high?

I can't think what else it is supposed to mean. What I can say though is I've got it for landings which a replay shows clearly to have been main wheels first. Maybe a degree or so more nose down than ideal, but definitely not three points.

I suspect that the LSO-bot's grading is still in need of refinement.

How much fuel are you carrying? I failed the first 10 times until I realized that I was trying to land with 9,000lbs of fuel.

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Someone mentioned 3PTSIW is gone for him, since he throttles up just before touchdown. Try it, maybe helps.

Yea I think I will try that, Also watching my tracks for pointers is helping.

I can't believe I did not realize till this thread that LSO was voiced by Jell-o LOL

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

Dont know about you guys, but the DCS SC case 1 mission seems way more tricky to fly in the groove and behind the boat, the jet is all over the place?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 2 weeks later...

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.