[REPORTED]JDAM AUTO Mode problems

AvroLanc

I've been doing a few tests with the new AUTO LOFT mode for JDAM. Track is attached below, it's hopefully concise and to the point.

Test sequence:

RUN 1. AUTO PP. First drop - attempt PP mode. Conservative Terminal parameters entered for a PP point.

Once inside the 'max predictive range' circle, IN RNG appears, shortly followed by IN ZONE. However, no IZLAR shape on HSI despite TERM entered. Pickle button held as release cue passes fpm, but NO DROP. Weapon doesn't come off. BUG?

However, system behaves as if it did. FLT timers come up on JDAM page. Which then count down to 0.

RUN 2. MAN PP. Second drop - this time PP with MAN mode. Same TERM inputs. This time when inside IN ZONE the pickle button works and bomb drops. Again no IZLAR zone on HSI. Flight timers count down, but the weapon impact is 33 seconds before the timer expires. Possibly incorrect logic here.

RUN 3. AUTO TOO. Third drop - TOO with AUTO mode this time. No TERM inputs this time. Slightly rushed but when inside IN ZONE a pickle is successful. However the calculated FLT time is too short. Timer expires well before bomb impact.

RUN 4. MAN TOO. Forth drop - Sucessful drop. IN ZONE results in successful release. No IZLAR. However the FLT timer is too long, this time 45s remaining at bomb impact.

RUN 5. AUTO TOO. Fifth drop - Reattempt AUTO TOO. Flight time incorrectly expires well before impact.

TLDR:

AUTO PP mode - weapons don't even release, no IZLAR zone in HSI. How is IN ZONE calculated, as opposed to IN RNG?

AUTO TOO mode - release but no IZLAR, despite IN ZONE on HUD. Flight timers lots of errors, sometimes too short, sometimes too long.

MAN modes - work, but with limitations of IZLAR calculations and timers as above.

JDAM AUTO IZLAR Test.trk

Edited by AvroLanc
Clarifications

Is Terminal parameters work? In auto pp I get a symbol indicate the heading on HSI, but JDAM doesn't adjust its heading accordingly.

You mean the little tail on the target triangle? They're about 90 degrees offset from any value inputted. Or random. They were there before the patch, I don't think it changed their behaviour.

It calculates the IZLAR for all selected bombs in quantity and gives one izlar for this region, taking into account all term parameters if any. If no release point is possible for all bombs (i.e. term headings 180 from each other, targets too far away) no izlar is displayed.

Man mode only calculates izlar for active station.

Additionally, HUD symbology is presented in Auto to guide to the center of the izlar. You don't hold the pickle down like with dumb bombs, common practice is to wait a few seconds after solution cue to release.

Loft symbology is presented as well for the selected loft angle, though this discouraged for most altitudes as it will actually decrease, rather than increase range.

Izlar should show for both modes. In auto, izlar is shown when ownship has all tgts in qty within 30 degrees of the nose and, if term headings are set each term heading has ownship within a 30 degree FOV. In man, these conditions need only exist for the active station for izlar to display

Source for information is official public documentation that I can't post here.

It calculates the IZLAR for all selected bombs in quantity and gives one izlar for this region, taking into account all term parameters if any. If no release point is possible for all bombs (i.e. term headings 180 from each other, targets too far away) no izlar is displayed.

Man mode only calculates izlar for active station.

Additionally, HUD symbology is presented in Auto to guide to the center of the izlar. You don't hold the pickle down like with dumb bombs, common practice is to wait a few seconds after solution cue to release.

Loft symbology is presented as well for the selected loft angle, though this discouraged for most altitudes as it will actually decrease, rather than increase range.

Izlar should show for both modes. In auto, izlar is shown when ownship has all tgts in qty within 30 degrees of the nose and, if term headings are set each term heading has ownship within a 30 degree FOV. In man, these conditions need only exist for the active station for izlar to display

Source for information is official public documentation that I can't post here.

Thank you very much for your reply. I think LAR stands for launch acceptable region, but what does IZ stand for? AUTO mode only shows loft options, so there is no AUTO "normal" mode? I know nothing about these modes sorry.

Stay safe

Auto always gives a loft cue, but it can be ignored.

IZLAR stands for "In Zone Launch Acceptable Region". It is the region where the computer calculates a valid solution can be achieved. When in the IZLAR the HUD gives the IN ZONE indication.

What we call the LAR is really the IRLAR or in range launch acceptable region. This is an indication that you are within the weapons non idealized maximum rangd. When in the IRLAR the pilot recieves the IN RANGE indication on the HUD.

The IZLAR is always inside the IRLAR, and the weapon should be released when given the in zone indication

Edited by LastRifleRound

Auto always gives a loft cue, but it can be ignored.

IZLAR stands for "In Zone Launch Acceptable Region". It is the region where the computer calculates a valid solution can be achieved. When in the IZLAR the HUD gives the IN ZONE indication.

What we call the LAR is really the IRLAR or in range launch acceptable region. This is an indication that you are within the weapons non idealized maximum rangd. When in the IRLAR the pilot recieves the IN RANGE indication on the HUD.

The IZLAR is always inside the IRLAR, and the weapon should be released when given the in zone indication

Thanks.

Stay safe

Sorry, but we’ve got ED team members replying to/acknowledging other threads on here, but nothing on this?

Is it possible to get a quick simple acknowledgement that this feature is still WIP, with errors reported and will be improved.

TLDR:

AUTO PP mode - weapons don't even release, no IZLAR zone in HSI. How is IN ZONE calculated, as opposed to IN RNG?

AUTO TOO mode - release but no IZLAR, despite IN ZONE on HUD. Flight timers lots of errors, sometimes too short, sometimes too long.

MAN modes - work, but with limitations of IZLAR calculations and timers as above.

The issues with not being able to release bombs in AUTO PP and the missing IZLAR in the HSI are reported, cheers.

As for the FLT time calculation being off, when I test in the dev build it's accurate down to the second in all of your examples, so I think it's safe to say it's fixed internally.

The issues with not being able to release bombs in AUTO PP and the missing IZLAR in the HSI are reported, cheers.

As for the FLT time calculation being off, when I test in the dev build it's accurate down to the second in all of your examples, so I think it's safe to say it's fixed internally.

Did you report that auto is ignoring QTY and only showing IRLAR for the selected station or should I make a separate bug report?

Did you report that auto is ignoring QTY and only showing IRLAR for the selected station or should I make a separate bug report?

Please make a new report, this one will get marked as reported and then separate stuff like that will get buried. Cheers.

Ok, good news. Thanks.