Cannot access cockpit of owned plane modules. PLEASE HELP!

Hello All,

I had a serious HW failure of my PC and had to build a new one. I was able to copy the DCS install folder to the new PC I had to build. I also was able to copy the save games dir to the new system as well. (Old PC was Win7, new PC is Win10 if it matters)I was not able to deactivate any modules prior to the unexpected crash obviously.

Now, DCS on the new system launches fine, updates fine, I am able to load any map(own them all and tested). I can only fly certain modules however.. This is the problem.

I am able to fly the following and their Instant Action missions without issue.

A-10C

KA-50 (Blackshark 2)

TF-51D

Su-25T

All FC3 AC

A-4 mod

(All old Starforce DRM..right?)

However, every time I try to use any of the following AC:

F-14

Huey UH-1H

Harrier

F/A-18C

Spit

P-51

MiG-21bis

MiG-15

Viggen

BF-109

F-5E

M-2k

F-86

(All non-Starforce DRM...hmm)

They show as installed, owned and activated in the Sim/Module Manager/Skates DCS Updater/ED website/..ETC.

I go to the Instant Action menu, they are all listed and accessible as normal use, I select one and the mission loads and instead of being in the cockpit I am looking at the Mission Editor with the selected missions briefing screen and the green fly button. I click fly and watch the mission via ME..not actually flying it as if I do not own the plane. I have tried loading the ME up, make a little quick mission, place one of the listed planes in it, set pilot to player..same, no go into cockpit. I get no messages stating I am missing anything. All loads fine ad everything seems great..except I cannot get in any of the planes as a pilot.

I have tried uninstalling a couple modules, re-downloaded them, reinstalled...same behavior. I am at a loss as to why I cannot actually fly the aircraft. I have run repairs, clean ups, looked at registries..all seems fine. I think my uninstall/reinstall attempts with modules would have worked but nope.

Anyone got any suggestions? Seen this before? Just at a loss other than to wipe and redo all. I gotta hunch I would be in the same boat. Speaking of boats, I just got a Super one that I really wanna try..need one of my birds working to do it. You know what mean..lol.

Anyways, thanks all.

T

Edited by Torso

• 1 month later...

(All old Starforce DRM..right?)

You don’t say exactly which version of dcs are you using, but on latest Openbeta no modules use SF anymore, only keyless.

However, every time I try to use any of the following AC:

F-14

Huey UH-1H

Harrier

F/A-18C

Spit

P-51

MiG-21bis

MiG-15

Viggen

BF-109

F-5E

M-2k

F-86

Anyone got any suggestions? Seen this before?

Looks like you have a Mod active that uses a part of DCS, most likely an aircraft that uses FC3 ... hard to say without looking into your dcs.log file.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I think that I have found a solution but don't know why it works..

also posted on the other thread.

With faulty modules installed & enabled*, goto C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\<module name>\bin

and you should see both .dll files and .dll.crypt files

rename the .dll.crypt files. e.g. "old_CockpitMi8.dll.crypt" and "old_Mi8.dll.crypt"

The module in question should now be flyable...

[REPORTED]Repair tool deletes all hard drive content - ED Forums

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=280607

Well, the bug seems to exist only in current open beta, and Torso is using the realease version. But even so, let's wait a bit for this "delete all" issue to be fixed, you never know...

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

notably both repairing and un-installing and re-installing the modules does not affect the .dll.crypt files which seem to be causing the problem. Uninstalling a module leaves those files behind (I have not tried deleting them befor re-installing).

one thing to note with my fix (renaming the .dll.crypt files) is that to work, before renaming, the module must be "active". If not, then renaming the .dll.crypt files causes DCS to hang when launched (at the initial splash screen, before the main menue is reached).

A possible cause of the issue is that I changed my account password at about the time that this problem surfaced, and if the DRM is insome ways linked to your username AND password then that could be a factor. I installed the AJS37 after I changed my password) and that has continued to bew flyable throughout.

Edited by jetski
typos

I have now found another way of fixing this (probably better). that is to de-activate the module, then detlete it n the module manger, then go to the C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft folder and delete the remaining folder (and the faluty .dll.crypt files.

When you re-install the module they are all cerated correcly and you can enter the cockpit.

the removal routines may not remove non standard files / folders too. sometimes it is assumed that a user will not install somewhere besides where it is expected. this is same with most software. it is quite difficult to build in the logic needed into the routine.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain