CASE III - 30° offset marshal radial?

Eldur

Some might remember:

What happened to the 30° offset marshal radial in CASE III? It's not part of the SC manual and everyone keeps showing off flying the stack on the BRC radial instead now. Is there a reason?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

6.4.1 Marshal Procedures

6.4.1.1 Jet/Turboprop Aircraft

The primary TACAN marshal fix is the 180 radial relative to the expected final bearing at a distance of 1 mile for every 1,000 feet of altitude plus 15 miles (angels +15).

The holding pattern is a left-hand, 6-minute racetrack pattern.

The inbound leg shall pass over the holding fix.

In no case will the base altitude be lower than 6,000 feet.

From CV NATOPS MANUAL.

Dated 31/07/2009 - perhaps procedures have changed since then?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

With the CV-1, the Marshal radial is almost always offset from the final bearing. 30* is very typical.

The CV-2 is an overhead Marshal stack to a teardrop entry to the final bearing. It is used when airspace won’t allow a CV-1. It is not very common at all.

Edit: to clarify, the CV-1 procedure graphic you may find depicts a straight-in. That is a generic description of the approach so do not interpret that to mean that that is always what happens. It almost never does.

Also, the description in the post above mine is a description of a generic CV-1, not what MUST happen.

Edited by G B

G.B., the boat can stack you on whatever radial they want. Typically it's behind the boat. Is that correct?

Yes. The most common radial for the stack is offset 30* from the final bearing reciprocal (behind the boat).

Same here. Once, I think I was given a radial that was 2 deg. off FB reciprocal.

Last night I was given a marshal radial almost 80 deg offset. :huh: I had to go back and make sure I didn't misunderstand the controller. I did not. Not sure if that is anything close to real life or not, but it made for an interesting approach anyway

Lenovo k450e, Windows 10 Home, 64bit / Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz / 32GB Ram / DCS running off 500GB SSD / GeForce 1060 GPU / Oculus Rift cv1 / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/ Saitek combat pedals

In theory, the offset can be any amount. Typically you’ll see 30 degrees. 20-40 is overwhelmingly the most common. 80 is aggressive but sure it can be done. There are different procedures on how to correct to final bearing depending on how misaligned the marshal radial and final bearing is.

I have never seen the radials be coincident (a straight in direct from marshal). It of course can be done. But in practice it isn’t, because the dog leg geometry allows CATCC ways to be creative to fix spacing for whatever reason. (They also can control speed...For example “305, take speed 225” or “402, dirty up” prior to 8 miles).