Pre-SC Briefing from Paddles

G B

Hi,

Thank you for your insight about carrier ops. I learned a lot by watching Lex Talionis CASE I videos at the time, watching Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello podcast, i keep reading some manuals available, and keep practicing and now i´m always in the pursuit for the safest pass.

Once again thank you very much for all this info.

All my virtual simulation life i waited for this, love carrier ops.

This brings light to my darkness life.

Wish you all the best,

Fagulha.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Cant get the damn youtube link to work from my phone, but here is a navy training film regarding landings on a carrier.

• Like 1

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

I've just quoted parts I disagree with.

Power plants and propulsion systems create all sort of moments, and changing these moments by changing power inevitably changes equilibrium.

Aerodynamic equilibrium as it relates to the horizontal stab, wing, AOA airspeed and how all of that is effected with trim.

I made a video showing this. Also, when students IRL are learning IFR they do maneuvers called an "S-1" and an "S--3" to demonstrate this very concept.

Just trying to help. To each their own.

Good luck

:)

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Ah crap, hitting the 1 wire with surgical precision is my specialty.

I've specialized in landing early, taxing to the 1 wire, then pretending I needed it to stop. Long rollout waiting for that first wire; I could probably hit the brakes and stop at the LSO station for take-out.

If you think about it, the 1 wire is a bit of a pariah, so doesn't it make sense for someone to give it a bit of love now and then? That poor cross-deck pendant is lonely, and the arresting gear needs to be used once in a while so it doesn't break.

That and the ball sets EVERY TIME I get to the ramp. Looking forward to SC to up my game a bit.

I've specialized in landing early, taxing to the 1 wire, then pretending I needed it to stop. Long rollout waiting for that first wire; I could probably hit the brakes and stop at the LSO station for take-out.

If you think about it, the 1 wire is a bit of a pariah, so doesn't it make sense for someone to give it a bit of love now and then? That poor cross-deck pendant is lonely, and the arresting gear needs to be used once in a while so it doesn't break.

That and the ball sets EVERY TIME I get to the ramp. Looking forward to SC to up my game a bit.

Trust me, that 1 wire is not nearly as lonely as it should be.

Based on your last sentence, don’t forget the LSO rule to live by: Fly the ball ALL THE WAY to touchdown.

Trust me, that 1 wire is not nearly as lonely as it should be.

Based on your last sentence, don’t forget the LSO rule to live by: Fly the ball ALL THE WAY to touchdown.

Honestly, I've been trying. Obviously, I've been failing. The only thing that makes sense is I get away with THINKING I'm flying the ball, but my descent rate is too high and in close that becomes too obvious to ignore. Tried adding a little power at the end last night and boltered (like a Sim Pilot). Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Go blow something up out of frustration (SA-10 site in Crimea).

Hopefully the AI LSO is good enough to get me pointed in the right direction, because there's a better than average chance my whole approach is pooched. At least I'll have a platcam to watch the track.

Thanks, Paddles!

GBs the LSO rockstar

:lol: :)

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

The word people are looking for is LONGITUDINAL STATIC STABILITY.

It is this that is responsible for the oscillations in pitch due to disturbances.

An aircraft with positive stability will eventually stop oscillating. An aircraft with negative stability will depart controlled flight, and an aircraft with neutral stability will not dampen the oscillations (but it may or may not depart controlled flight due to this behavior).

It gets way more complex than that, but that's a good basic description.

I personally find the Tomcat easy to fly on the approach. The PITA is seeing the carrier and getting lined up. The ICLS is great for solving that problem.

Know your approach AoA, be on glide and on-speed, and she'll pretty much land herself.

F-18 is a bit trickier due to the slow response from the engines, but basically the same deal.

Half the battle is the set-up. Fly accurate and correct pattern to final, and you're already there.

"The quality of the landing is determined before you begin the approach."

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Half the battle is the set-up. Fly accurate and correct pattern to final, and you're already there.

"The quality of the landing is determined before you begin the approach."

Yup. So much of IRL pilot training emphasis is on getting to a good “start.” In fact, students’ first round of FCLPs in flight school focuses almost entirely on pattern discipline and getting to a good start, rather than actual ball flying.

“Start” in this case meaning the start position in the groove. Absolutely imperative that you put a ton of work and effort into getting to a good start: on glideslope, on centerline, on-speed, with the appropriate groove length (15-18 seconds). If you don’t get to a good start, your pass will be much much harder.

Very much appreciate posts like this!

Thanks G B and Lex.

+1!

Thank you both.

Great to have this ajmug.png

Read the rules often enough already, but noone cared to explain those like you did. Never understood those lead before things rdlaugh.png

But... (time for a MEME BREAK!) dealwithit.png

-Underline OK: 5.0 (awarded ONLY for good passes under emergency conditions, or a pilot's final pass of his tour or career)

DCS:

fqo9gc7v.gif

Same with _EGIW_ BTW... you can firewall the throttle in the wires and still get it rdlaugh.png

**Grades with the double asterisk count against boarding rate percentage.

Don't get that though...

not being trimmed "ON SPEED" and / or controlling your glide slope with pitch instead of power given AOA changes with pitch inputs. (red/green chevron )

It's literally very hard to fail at that, yet I see people do that all the time. And it's not just the Reapers. All the other ones who did previews of the SC yanked their stick forward and back as well... rdlaugh.png

EDIT all of that said, ensure your not re trimming because of flap changes, wing sweep, etc. [...] If you change the fundamental lift /drag aerodynamics of the air frame, you need to re trim.

Isn't that totally contradicting? icon_question.gif

“Start” in this case meaning the start position in the groove. Absolutely imperative that you put a ton of work and effort into getting to a good start: on glideslope, on centerline, on-speed, with the appropriate groove length (15-18 seconds). If you don’t get to a good start, your pass will be much much harder.

Getting that done actually is the hard thing. And it begins with the break. Messing that up messes it up completely until the Bolter including all that ball flying. If I skip the whole CASE I procedure and do it like CASE III, straight in, I noticed it gets much easier to begin with and by ball flying gets better by ages - so I know what to practice... icon_exclaim.gif

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Aerodynamic equilibrium as it relates to the horizontal stab, wing, AOA airspeed and how all of that is effected with trim.

I made a video showing this. Also, when students IRL are learning IFR they do maneuvers called an "S-1" and an "S--3" to demonstrate this very concept.

Just trying to help. To each their own.

Good luck

:)

I think he’s thinking about the thrust-pitch couple. A real phenomenon, but as you’ve pointed out, the aircraft will seek it’s trimmed AOA given enough time (assuming positive stability). Of course, that process may take longer than you’re trip down the groove:music_whistling: