ATC question

markturner1960

Hi, is it possible to advance or retard the setting incrementally once engaged? Without exiting ATC mode?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Flashing “ATC” is just the disconnect notification (whether that was due to clicking out with the ATC button or by overriding with enough force on the throttles), it is only operating when “ATC” is solid in the HUD.

In the sim the answer is no. In real life I don’t think it’s possible but could be wrong.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

OK, thanks, that's a shame......struggling somewhat during refueling attempts due to the small physical range of input in that area of the throttle and the delayed spool up time and thought this may be a way to help....guess I must keep practicing

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi Razor, I meant that seemingly very small physical movements on the grip seems to generate quite high changes in RPM...trying to only move the throttle that 1 or 2mm needed to advance RPM enough to increase speed by 1 or 2 kts, is very tricky. The larger the physical range of movement for a given increase in RPM, the easier and more accurate your inputs would be I reason......

Last night, I decided to try removing the physical detent for AB, and instead set it right at the end of the range, effectively giving myself another couple of centimetres of travel, which would I hope, with some careful tweaking of the curves, allow a more direct response to physical movement.

have not tried this out yet, but hope to tonight.....

I see. Well, it is tricky, the key is not to loose patience and practice a lot. If you want to cheat a little, you can add a positive curve (first steep then more shallow)to your throttle axis, resulting in practically assigning the first 20% of the physical throttle movement to around 40% or more of the in game throttle, wich leaves the majority of the remaining 80% Warthog throttle movement to cover the remaining 60% (or even less) RPM range. It's like giving more resolution for the useful RPM range. If not clear enough, shout.

Also, have you tried "walking the throttles"?

If you move just one lever at a time, you can get effectively half of the increase/decrease in thrust that you would get by moving them both together, which provides for far more control, particularly when aerial refuelling/flying in formation.

Oh, and i wouldn't use ATC when aerial refueling. The main reason being that you will need to be "tweaking" the thrust constantly, to stay in formation with the tanker.

Edited by Greyman

I have the TMWH and an absolute straight curve. I have the idle/off detent but no AB detent so I keep an eye on the EFEI to know when I light a burner. I have no problem matching speed of a buddy or a tanker. Carrier approaches (on speed), I don't even think about it. I adjust the throttles without thinking about them.

The trick with AAR is getting on altitude first, getting left/right lined up on the sweet spot for the drogue (keeping out of the jetwash if it's turned on), and then slowly driving in to the basket. Don't chase it. You should come in about 1 to 2 knots closure on it. Yes, it will drift but keep your position as you drive in. If you miss, back off a tiny bit and then try again (power up will drive your nose up so keep your throttles smooth and walk one or the other just a bit back or forth as needed.) Never fight for the basket. Drive in slowly, drop back slowly. ("Wipe on, wipe off"!)

Edit: Yeah, I just read Greyman's post. Never use the autothrottle nor your autopilot. Trim only. Then slow, steady move in.

Edited by =Mac=

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...