Grim Reapers Preview of the Supercarrier

Eldur

Interesting.

I'm getting the sense that the new "ATC" is nothing more than some scripted audio messages played at the correct time. Apart from the initial inbound call, and "see you at 10", there's actually no real interaction at all. Hopefully there's a lot more detail to come later in early access, as this is very underwhelming.

Edited by norman99

Apart from the initial inbound call, and "see you at 10", there's actually no real interaction at all. Hopefully there's a lot more detail to come later in early access, as this is very underwhelming.

From what I can tell, apart from training, after the 10 Nm call a lot of (most ?) RL case 1's are flown zip lip i.e. radio silent, with pilots watching the deck and other planes in the stack.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

From what I can tell, apart from training, after the 10 Nm call a lot of (most ?) RL case 1's are flown zip lip i.e. radio silent, with pilots watching the deck and other planes in the stack.

During CQ: Never Zip Lip.

During Cyclic Ops: Zip Lip.

• ED Team

Currently we have for case 1

Inbound > see you at 10 > Charlie call > kiss off ( if you have AI with you ) > ball call or clara.

Zip lip is not currently in, it maybe added later in early access.

From the manual

Case I Recovery

Case I recovery begins when you contact the carrier Marshal with an ‘INBOUND’ radio command. After receiving direction from Marshal, you will set up to enter the holding pattern over the carrier. At 10 miles, you should have the carrier in sight and report ’SEE YOU AT 10’ over the radio.

The Marshal controller will hand you off to the tower and you will enter the holding stack.

The tower will clear you to leave the holding pattern and commence your landing approach. You will descend from holding and fly by the carrier just outboard on the starboard side at 800 feet. You will give a ‘KISS OFF’ command to your flight and execute an overhead ‘break’ to the left and enter the landing pattern.

At ¾ nm behind the ship, you will enter ‘the groove’ and report in with the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) with a ‘BALL’ radio call. You will fly the rest of the approach and landing based on visual indications on the IFLOLS ball and verbal instructions given by the LSO.

If all goes well, you will catch one of the arresting wires with your tailhook and taxi to parking. If not, you will either ‘waveoff’, abort the approach and reenter the landing pattern, or ‘bolter’, touch down on the deck and reenter the landing pattern.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Now here's their multiplayer test:

WOW. I don’t know what to make of that. So much non standard SOP/general chaos going on I can’t tell what works and what doesn’t.

Was anyone able to understand if it stacked multiple flights in the marshall correctly?

Another vid showing the thing at night luna-trcv.png

Small note for the dev team: On the first carrier in the video with fhe upward-sloping ramp (Kutnesov?) the planes suddenly jump lower, when they leave the ramp upon launch. Now I realize that the planes might drop a bit in altitude due to their low speed, but it probably would be a bit more gradual and not quite as jumpy. This one looks as if suddenly the launch altitude from an American carrier (w/o the upward sloping ramp) is used

Far, far, FAR too much lighting on the Arleigh Burke. Nav lights ONLY, please.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

More on the Kuznetzov and Arleigh Burke:

Small note for the dev team: On the first carrier in the video with fhe upward-sloping ramp (Kutnesov?) the planes suddenly jump lower, when they leave the ramp upon launch. Now I realize that the planes might drop a bit in altitude due to their low speed, but it probably would be a bit more gradual and not quite as jumpy. This one looks as if suddenly the launch altitude from an American carrier (w/o the upward sloping ramp) is used

Noticed as well that something is weird; the Su-33 doesn't pitch up at all, but somehow drives up the skijump.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Interesting.

I'm getting the sense that the new "ATC" is nothing more than some scripted audio messages played at the correct time. Apart from the initial inbound call, and "see you at 10", there's actually no real interaction at all. Hopefully there's a lot more detail to come later in early access, as this is very underwhelming.

Thinking the same thing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, I don't wanna piss on anybody's chips before the thing's even released and I DEFINITELY don't want to delay it any further, especially if it's something that can be done later. But we need to have a talk about something I've found in one of the GR videos, that really rubs me up the wrong way. Those are the Kortik/Kashtan CIWS on the new Kuznetsov heavy aviation cruiser.

Seriously, what is going on here?

I mean here's what the real system looks like (depicted as Kortik/Kashtan-M):

81583008543cba11a911a72b632ac6ca.jpg

And here's what it looks like in DCS, taken from a screenshot from here.

VuovaDZ.png

First off, what are those textures on the muzzles of the AO-18Ks? It looks markedly worse than the muzzle on the the AK-630s on the Slava and Tarantul-III classes that we've had for ages, and it's the same gun!

The octagonal launch tubes for the 9M311 are another thing too; they're visibly identical to the tubes on the 2K22 Tunguska, something that we've had in DCS since 2013, and yet despite having a somewhat outdated model, its launch tubes have a 75% increase in mesh resolution, making them look far more circular. And I mean, the old LOMAC Kuznetsov has hexagonal tubes, stepping that up to octagonal doesn't really seem like much of an improvement, especially when again, the 2013 Tunguska model has a 75% increase in mesh resolution on the tubes.

Secondly there's the sensor section, which is largely the wrong shape; the same goes for the antennae, they're far too narrow and from the front, the larger, central antennae should be more octagonal. Lots of detail is straight up absent around the smaller dish and the EO system is completely absent and completely unrecognisable when compared to the real system. And yet, on the free Ticonderoga, Oliver Hazard Perry, Stennis and Tarawa - all their Phalanx Block 1Bs have their EO/IR systems, and in the case of the latter 2 are far better detailed than this - bear in mind this is on free assets.

Also what's with the darkness of the textures? The real thing looks lighter - I noticed the same thing with the AK-630s, they're really dark - the real ones are a light grey, as they are on current assets. Not sure about this actually, though in images I've seen they look a lot lighter.

I didn't get a glimpse at the animations, but it's "head" (I guess I'll call it that) with all the sensors can move independently in azimuth and elevation, not sure if that's implemented though, guess I'll have to wait until I get my mitts on it.

All in all pretty disappointed to say the least. I just want to know why it ended up this way...

Maybe it was for performance? But still though, is it really that bad that we need to leap backwards in detail? Even compared to free assets from 2013?

Whilst I would usually accept "it's Early Access" I'm not buying it this time around - this new Kuznetsov model has been showcased in teaser screenshots and videos for years, and apart from the hull and superstructure looking a little lighter, it doesn't look like much has changed from the first teasers we saw. Obviously, apart from the lighting of course, which contrary to this, looks very impressive :thumbup:

Am I being too much of a nitpick? Am I being unreasonable or unfair? I wasn't expecting it to be as super detailed as the Supercarrier (after all no high fidelity modules for it), but still, a bit disappointed to say the least, even if I am being an unfair, unreasonable, nitpick...

What worries me is that there might be other stuff that's not up to scratch, or has some discrepancies with reality. But I'll get to that when it's released and I can get my mitts on it, as I can't see much from the GR videos, and I'm a stable user.

Apart from though, I'm really excited and looking forward to the release of Supercarrier and the Arleigh Burke (even given the latter's inaccuracies), been seeing some awesome stuff some on those 2, and hopefully we'll see even more improvements in the future :thumbup:

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

First of all, from the videos I've seen I have to say that it really looks like a nice module, to me, and that I'm looking forward to using it.

That said, since it's in Early Access, it's proper to point out some not very convincing features.

Watching the video in which they attacked the carrier, I've noticed that explosives can damage the deck and the hull, whereas, when the aircraft explodes at 18:00

there is no damage to the deck.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer