AN/APG-63 range is under-represented

want to see something to make you sad, when testing the AMRAAM maximum range at high alt, Grim Reapers had to use the F-16 because it could track the target further than the F-15

And the ENTIRE point of making the F-15 was to put a big, really big, large diameter radar in the plane - for long range tracking/sensing. and it hauls arse really good.

• Like 4

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

It would be nice to see the F-15C get an update including putting it, timeline wise, more on par with the Hornet and Falcon. ie, Give it the JHMCS and AIM-9X along with Datalink even it remains an FC3 bird.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

On 11/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, CarbonFox said:

It would be nice to see the F-15C get an update including putting it, timeline wise, more on par with the Hornet and Falcon. ie, Give it the JHMCS and AIM-9X along with Datalink even it remains an FC3 bird.

Just make it full fidelity at that point. I'd love to see it become a full fidelity module.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 minutes ago, henshao said:

I'd settle for just the datalink and radar up to detection spec, 2001 the national guard birds all received link-16

I'd personally like to go with a 2004 Langley F-15C, they had the non-AESA Radars while also having JHMCS, AIM-9X's, and D/L.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, GGTharos said:

The topic here is the DCS representation of the APG-63, not a wishlist for F-15s.

ok back the subject of this "investigating" 17 year old issue of the undermodeled radar

is it normal for apg-63 to not be able to go above 60000 feet? F-15 was designed to intercept foxbat (and has done so) who cruises well above such altitude

That's just a display limit, the digits go up to 60 ... the beam goes on forever.  Easy to test and check (and yes I've ran intercepts on HFFs, so I know it works 🙂 )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On 12/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, GGTharos said:

That's just a display limit, the digits go up to 60 ... the beam goes on forever.  Easy to test and check (and yes I've ran intercepts on HFFs, so I know it works 🙂 )

still, if I'm up there I'd like to know where I'm looking. do we know if the real radar behaves this way?

• 2 weeks later...

No, the reduction is really due to timing - meaning your bandit may be sitting at long range when the MPRF bar passes over it, and you need to wait for the MPRF/HPRF interleave pattern to flip.   Also, when the probability of detection is still low, you may delay detection even further.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

3 hours ago, henshao said:

this is what I always thought; downside of interleave 4 bar scan should not be reduced detection range but rather the slow update speed of an 8 bar scan. 8 bar interleave, effectively 16 bars, etc

Yep, our interleave does not interleave PRFs afaik, it literally uses an intermediate PRF

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

7 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Yep, our interleave does not interleave PRFs afaik, it literally uses an intermediate PRF

that's good to know. it explains why interleave seems easier to notch than Medium PRF. intermediate PRF is an actual F-15 radar mode as well as far as I know (at least in the apg-70) so thanks for that.

There is an RGH mode which is best used above 6000' and IIRC it is used to break-out close targets - this is not implemented in DCS, and it is an intermediate PRF.   In DCS,  ILV is just a reduction in range and that's all.

MPRF is more resistant to notching and clutter generally as it should be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

58 minutes ago, TotenDead said:

Удачи с созданием общественного резонанса в таком случае. Лет десять подождешь - сделают, конечно) 

after all, it's only been 17 years and counting, what's another 10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TotenDead said:

No documentation posted on the forum.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:02 PM, GGTharos said:

NOTE: I have provided the necessary materials and suggestion to Chizh.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria