AN/APG-63 range is under-represented

The APG-63 and APG-70 shouldn't different much in detection ranges.  There's no power increase or anything like this, and both radars have a similarly powerful radar processor.   The main drive for the APG-70 had to do with A2G modes and maintainability - I'm not going to go into it too deep, but it went as far as figuring out what type of solder to use due to environmental protection regulations etc.

The original APG-63 vs an MSIP APG-63 would have some difference - the idea here is that the worst tuned PSP radar performed as well as the best tuned pre-PSP radar.   In what way they don't say, but you can imagine tuning will affect range (so in a way, reliable detection range), tracking stability and other fun stuff that isn't simulated.  An MSIP radar (so PSP+) would perform better overall, just an APG-70 and APG-63v1 would ... I would expect only modest range gains over the PSP radar based on possibly better self noise control and a bit more processing oomph.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

A bit of a tangent: Do I understand correctly that every single F-15C built except the final 43 (APG-70) had the APG-63 with PSP? Are these referred to now as the APG-63(v)0? Had a little trouble patching together what information I could google.

I guess you could call them v(0), but they're really referred to as PSP radars.   The radar improvements were part of MSIP and MSIP II  (F-15A/B and C/D, IIRC) in any case, and there is a fairly good timeline of the various upgrades made over the years.   The PSP radar is what made the eagle what it is.

And yes, a limited number of F-15Cs received the APG-70.  Either way the 63 continued to receive upgrades on a regular basis.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Found where, and what does it represent?

from what I understand, soviet estimates of detection distance capability of the listed fighters vs 3m^2 target at various heights...take it for what it's worth

15 minutes ago, henshao said:

cute little chart I found in passing

2021-01-16 (3).png

And if thats its captioned as, then its pretty clear where ED probably is sourcing their current F-15 radar range numbers. Incorrect Soviet estimations strike again I guess...

Edited by dundun92
  • Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

4 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

And if thats its captioned as, then its pretty clear where ED probably is sourcing their current F-15 radar range numbers. Incorrect Soviet estimations strike again I guess...

I mean that's the A model and I think it's still doing better than what we have in game...

27 minutes ago, henshao said:

I mean that's the A model and I think it's still doing better than what we have in game...

ehh not rly, 61nm vs 5m^2 (what it comes out to when you do the math) is pretty much what it is in-game rn. But your right, this (innacurate) estimation is still for the A, not PSP radar like we have in game anyway.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

53 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I wonder if we'll end up seeing the F-15E in DCS before the Eagle.

Id guess yes, and thats accounting for RAZBAM being RAZBAM

HP Z400 Workstation

16 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Without context (sourcing), the chart’s fairly meaningless. Who knows what it’s purpose was in the first place? Plus, I’m fairly certain that ED would use more than a single chart for reference.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On 3/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, Ironhand said:

Without context (sourcing), the chart’s fairly meaningless. Who knows what it’s purpose was in the first place? Plus, I’m fairly certain that ED would use more than a single chart for reference.

youd be surprised how ED does things sometimes 😄

HP Z400 Workstation

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the LO and early FC (1.12B) days F-15C was as good as AWACS so I steered away from flying it and meeting it in virtual skies (literally). Now it's an underdog in DCS skies so I kinda grew into it.

The fact is F-15C got nerfed. It can't power climb, can't sustain in turn fights without pitchdown as much as it could, radar got degraded by at least 30%, Sparrows suddenly slowed down etc.Guess those Redfor rants from back then made a difference. It's quite unfair and unrealistic for a F-15C o I feel kinda sorry for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, Vekkinho said:

Redfor rants

not rly, red FC3 is just as underperforming. ED simply doesnt care about FC3 it seems. Red or blue.

HP Z400 Workstation

4 hours ago, Vekkinho said:

Back in the LO and early FC (1.12B) days F-15C was as good as AWACS so I steered away from flying it and meeting it in virtual skies (literally). Now it's an underdog in DCS skies so I kinda grew into it.

The fact is F-15C got nerfed. It can't power climb, can't sustain in turn fights without pitchdown as much as it could, radar got degraded by at least 30%, Sparrows suddenly slowed down etc.Guess those Redfor rants from back then made a difference. It's quite unfair and unrealistic for a F-15C o I feel kinda sorry for it.

man, that takes me back. so many guys used to play the Su-27 instead of F-15 because "they were really flying the plane" and "none of that fly by wire crap."  🙃🙃

though I don't remember a time ever when the F-15's radar was up to snuff, as I understand it flanker and eagle have the same radar as far the game is concerned

On 4/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, dundun92 said:

not rly, red FC3 is just as underperforming. ED simply doesnt care about FC3 it seems. Red or blue.

I'm naive but I still have hope... the thread says it's being investigated after all! Fingers are crossed that this gets addressed! 

40 minutes ago, SgtPappy said:

it's being investigated

its been like that for almost a year now ;(

HP Z400 Workstation